I feel like the US Mail is picking up speed again!

It’s still slow for me too :slightly_frowning_face:

One of my traveling cards has been traveling in the US for 23 days

It seems so unpredictable—I still write handwritten letters to my sister 700 miles away, and it can take 10 days, and that was years before the virus upheaval. Just the other day I get a postcard from over 1200 miles away in 3 days! I wrote one to the same state: almost two weeks. I suppose there are more factors in play than just the Post Office.

There are still problems. Last week, on Monday and Tuesday, no one in neighborhood got any mail.

A package I sent to Germany mid December just disappeared off the tracking so I guess it’s lost. Domestic parcels took up to two weeks. Letters and cards took forever the whole month and some not at all. I hate to discuss politics but after 50 years on this earth I have always found the USPS to be reliable until our past “president” loaded up the USPS Board of Governors with his friends so yet another crony could be our so called Postmaster General. Right on the dot, boom!, new PostBuster General = the service takes a 90 degree nosedive. I noticed the slowdown right after the change in the postal leadership last summer. It wasn’t this bad even during the first months of the pandemic when things took a couple days longer, but not WEEKS or NOT AT ALL.
There is pressure from citizens, the media, and our new president’s party (and also from the opposition, since they get mail too!) to dissolve the entire Postal Board of Governors for gross incompetence. A new one would be selected to look into removing the Postmaster General. Only this board has the power to do that. If they need evidence on gross incompetence, it’s right in front of them, and I’m sure just about every American citizen would love to testify to our new and atrocious service. I don’t blame the postal workers, but the “management” for doing everything to “increase efficiency”, a euphemism for dissolving the postal service through attrition. Trump and Co. have openly expressed their desire to get rid of the postal service and replace it with their own vision of one.

5 Likes

I have been waiting for a package that was sent inside my own state for 20 days now!

1 Like

No. I just received 2 postcards from within the USA. 37 days!

2 Likes

I just had an official card arrive to the USA in 10 days :heart_eyes:

Mine took 3 weeks. Posted 20.01 morning, registered yesterday.

It was not uncommon before the pandemic that cards took around 3 weeks to be delivered to US.

Agree. Even though I have 1 expired to US (sent before Christmas), my other cards to and from US arrived quick just like before pandemic

US Postmaster General apologizes for bad service a few days ago, then today he turns around and proposes higher prices and major service cuts. God help us!

1 Like

No. Mail is very slow. I am having people in the US contact me about cards they sent more then sixty days have passed and I never received the cards. Many of my sent cards, to US and overseas are taking much longer. I just received cards sent from Europe in November. If you live in the US you may want to contact your representative because the Postmaster General wants to downgrade all first class mail, which would include postcards, so they would no longer travel by air. Can you imagine if you live in New York state and you send a letter or postcard to California how much longer it will take being sent by truck? He acknowledged that it will make the mail slower. Of course postcards send overseas would travel by air, I’m assuming, but until they do that card it will all be by truck.

4 Likes

I’ve experienced both. Received a cross-country postcard in only 3 days. But my international mail seems to be held up for months, and I suspect the issue is on the US customs end.

I wrote a postcard to the president asking him to do something about the board of governors so that they can send DeJoy packing. I figured that public sentiment may get things moving.

1 Like

It all depends on the region you live really. San Diego California has been pretty good and consistent with their time.

Here in Virginia there’s been ice and snow for at least 2 weeks.

I think it’s still slow rn. I sent one from NJ to FL, it took 47 days :joy:. I sent another from NJ to my mother-in-law in MD, already 2 weeks, she hasn’t received yet…

2 Likes

I’m out of the loop, what happened to mail in USA? I know COVID is affecting deliveries worldwide but seem to have specially hit deliveries there

Politics see wikipedia.

I was quite surprised that there was actually a wikipedia page about this!

1 Like

If you are a U. S. citizen with concerns regarding the level of service you are receiving from the United States Postal Service, I recommend this:

Send a postcard every day to your senator and your representatives in congress, as well as to the president. Every day, non-stop until service improves. Date the postcards. This will do two things: it will let them see exactly what your are seeing, the date it was sent, and the date it was postmarked. In your message on the card, leave a space for their staff to write in the date it was received. The second thing it will do, is provide a little bit of additional income to the USPS which is financially hurting.

Just a thought.

2 Likes

@eta55 That’s a great suggestion, but I probably couldn’t afford it everyday. Do you do it?