How new users get to know about the forum?

Hello! I registered a looong time ago, so my question is because I don’t know how it works now. What I was thinking is:
When someone (who speaks another language than English) register, I figure there’s lots of questions and doubts.
My suggestion is: when they register, they receive a link to the “language and geographical” section of the forum, explaining that in that part of the forum they may ask anything in their own language, to clear any doubts and learn how to “move” in Postcrossing and Forum. (It’s even easier now with the same account and password)
What do you think?

5 Likes

Hello Lucianna. Nice to see you again.

1 Like

I’m afraid we don’t have a very reliable way to know which language a person speaks or not (nor all languages are covered on the #communities).

As much as we would like Postcrossing to connect people even across different languages, that is one hurdle we likely will always have to join/use Postcrossing — a common language among all participants is necessary, or communication (at least on the postcards) can’t take place. This is one of the main reasons we don’t have Postcrossing available in multiple languages. Also, it’s just impossible for our small team to give support in multiple languages. :exploding_head:

We do, however, have a few places where we encourage new members to join the forum. Hopefully they will find the #communities that way too.

2 Likes

Thank you for you answer Paulo (I’m having a moment “star struck” now :sweat_smile:) my doubt is also when someone join Postcrossing, when they receive a message of welcome, is it written that they can use the forum for their doubts? If it’s not, would it be possible to add that? It would maybe lessen the burden of administration and help new users. So here at the forum we could have a “Welcome thread” with all the tips and links for beginners.
Thanks again :blush:

I Like the Idea of showing the Forum to new members. I am not sure how I found my way Here half a year ago :joy: i think I just checked out all the tabs.

There is a Welcome Thread:

1 Like

We do encourage to first get help on the forum, right above the contact form of the main website.

And while the link to the forum is always present on the top menu, we deliberately opt for not explicitly encouraging new members to immediately join the forum while they haven’t sent their first postcard — not only it can be a bit overwhelming, we also don’t want to distract from the first steps of sending/receiving their first postcard in Postcrossing which is the main goal. We do, however, mention the forum on a few later emails, inviting to join it (if they haven’t yet), once postcards have been exchanged.

2 Likes

Ah ok, i understand now. Thank you so much! :blush:

how do we post something on the forum? sharon