How Good is your Postal Service?

@Linyouming

Just out of curiosity, why does your place of residence have such a special service of getting the notification of how many mails you got and nowhere else in China ?

Or anyone in anywhere in China can have such service ? Even in a very very small rural village ?

Obviously, my speech represents the city, but I must say that my friends live in a mountain village in China. Although there is no postman to send messages, their post office will have a special cabinet to help them keep their letters, even for a year. My friends left the mountain village for more than a year because of studying, and every post office has been well preserved after they came back.
I read what you said above and questioned China’s score. I want to say that among the top 500 enterprises in the world, China Post ranks first among the postal shortlists of all countries in the world. Please speak with facts and belittle other countries to raise your own country is not a very polite behavior.:grin:

2 Likes

In the past 20 years, I have already “died” twice according to Deutsche Post / DHL. :scream::skull_and_crossbones:

Three times I moved and once my house didn’t exist.

Searching for a parcel through the whole neighbourhood happens regular with HERMES. Seems a lot of fun.
Once, my brother-in-law found his parcel in the garden pond :smirk:

About letters and postcards I had so much “fun” with Deutsche Post in the past years.

Yes, compared to some other countries, Deutsche Post may still be very good. But it’s no use if you have to chase after mail several times a week because something was delivered incorrectly or, as happened to me only about 10 days ago, two packages were destroyed by DHL in one day in such a way that they had to be sent back directly to the sender. Not for the first time this year, by the way.

2 Likes

My mail carrier not only delivers the mail, but is very active in building our community. I find myself interacting with my neighbors once or twice a week to swap misdelivered mail. Many of which have become close friends over the years. Even got one neighbor interested in Postcrossing after he received some of my postcards.

6 Likes

@Linyouming

I was not belittling certain countries including China as you think - I was just curious and was with full of questions.

Again, this statistics above is based on only track-and-trace mails, Registered Mails. So, I have no more questions now.

1 Like

I have to say the ordinary (non-registered) mail is also reliable here in China.
I think many postcrossers have already discussed the situation of mail to China in this topic: Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension). Most official cards mailed to China arrived this year.

And I believe the topic here is to discuss the postal service in YOUR country, not to question and compare other countries’ postal services.

2 Likes

I think I might be a bit biased (since I work for the Dutch postal service) but I would say it is pretty good, sending a lot of letters, cards and packages myself I only once had a bad situation (a bunch of packages went lost, but they turned up a week after being mailed) so overall I am very happy, mail is deliverd 5 days a week, rarely with anything showing up later then expected, and I also think the pricing compared to some other European countries is decent enough.

I also have plenty of experience with the Belgian postal service, which is also pretty decent for international mail except that it is very expensive, but I would say in terms of quality they should be equal even though they are not shown equal on the map.

1 Like

I thought the part of “do you agree with the graph” allows us to discuss a little of our experiments of mail sent to other countries, as here we send also to other countries, not only each to our own.

But: if this graph tells about scores given for track-and-trace mail for example (and not only normal mail without tracking), hence the discussion should be about that type of mail too, I believe. I haven’t use that in any country so much I could tell if I agree with the graph or not.

My previous rating was about non-trackable mail mainly.

Should the first post be edited this graph (and discussion) being about one own country’s trackable mail?

I think many are writing about non trackable mail experiences.

1 Like

@S_Tuulia

Yes, I also think it is better the first post of this thread be edited to let all people know that this graph is about only track-and-trace mails / Registered mails. Then we do not have to misunderstand.

And @Huiying_Chen
You say non-registered mails also are reliable in China, but I have to stop private swaps with members in China after my own experiences of lost mails there, about non-registered mails. For example, I even resent to Beijing but I was told both mails did not arrive, and it has been a long time now. It is sad for me but I cannot swap much regularly with people in China, especially non-registered mails… I find it quite risky.

Anyway, again, I have no more questions about this graph above (about China, for example) as it is only about Registered mails / mails that can be tracked all the way.

By the way, many Postcrossers do not get to send via Registered mails to other countries, do they ?

My country, Falkland Islands, has no data by the looks of it but I’d say our service is pretty good.
As we only have one post office, it all gets consistent sorting and then the mail is put on the next plane out to the UK (twice a week) where it goes into the UK system which is also pretty good. Despite our remoteness our mail can still only take a couple of weeks to arrive.
This can, of course, be delayed if flights have issues and the flights are MOD so if they need the space for other matters, such as food!, then the mail can be delayed further, but these are things the service cannot help. There is an issue at present with there not being enough seats for civilians on the planes, let alone mail, so hopefully this seating issue will be addressed in future and subsequently more frequent mail with more flights :smiley:
Getting mail to us is another matter entirely but once mail has reached the islands it is sorted immediately and put in your pigeon hole in the post office so you just grab it yourself.

5 Likes

For Romania (where I live) and Bulgaria (where I am from) I guess the level is about accurate (5-6). It’s not surprising to me whatsoever. I do wish it would get higher but for both countries it doesn’t seem like much is being done to invest in those essential services :frowning:

3 Likes

I know that the postal service in South Korea is almost the cheapest. Also, speed and accuracy are very satisfactory.
So I think I can raise my score a little bit.

Unfortunately, however, there are only a limited number of countries where you can send letters. This is probably because there are fewer direct flights. And it also rarely makes anything other than stamps. (ex. envelope, postcard)

The korean postal service is very good in my opinion.

Pros:
Although their outbound travel times may not be top tier, they still deliver most letter/postcards within a month, which is very acceptable in my opinion. Inbound wise, they sometimes reach as little as a week.

The service is also relatively cheap for a country of this GDP. Postcards worldwide have a flat rate of 430 won ($0.33 USD). Their postage rate for letters are also relatively cheap.

Mail should come every weekday, sometimes they don’t come everyday and sometimes they come even on saturday (peak season). It really depends on mail volume coming to my apartment complex, sometimes its not worth coming all the way out here so I cannot blame them. They don’t hold mail in the post office for more than 2 working days (in my experience).

There are 2 main types of post offices, Dong (neighbourhood) and Gu (district). From my experience, the neighbourhood post offices never carry any stamp other than definitives while the district post office carries a wide variety.

The non definitive stamps come out frequently, usually once to thrice a month. The designs range from lacklustre to excellent, but that’s my opinion. They have a variety of styles, from pictures to illustrations. They also come in various sizes and shapes, some heart, some even hexagon! They also offer first day covers.

All the post offices in my general region hand cancel all their stamps.

All post offices carry envelopes and boxes (paid), they also have those paper bubble wraps, tape, glue available for free. I think its very thoughtful compared to other countries where you have to pay for your own bubble wrap/tape.

Cons:
The non definitive stamps are always 430 won, which is the perfect amount for postcards. But for letters, usually I will have to combine definitive stamps as well which is quite sad.

I’m not too sure if they make maxicards and envelopes with stamps attached, they do show them on their website but all the post offices I go to don’t offer them. If someone knows the answer, please tell me where I can buy them physically!

The system is made to be very functional and not super fun. They don’t offer airmail stickers or let you cancel your own mail, that’s nitpicking though.

Overall, I will give the korean postal system a 9.2/10. It’s still a great service and honestly, I cannot be asking so much for a government run system.

5 Likes

I can’t say I have any complaints about the U.S. postal service … except it’s not cheap.

I remember there was Postman in the neighborhood where I was working that got a retirement party from people in his delivery area who got together to celebrate him and all the mail he had delivered in the 20+ years assigned to the area!
I know that this is a bit unrelated, but just wanted to show, like @Trinch - that postal workers can be amazing and carry wonderful relationships with the neighborhood

2 Likes

And I also wanted to second @7beachbum comment that the postal service isn’t so cheap anymore. But when you look at the big picture, having domestic mail delivered from say, New York City to Anchorage (Alaska) for only 68 cents, it’s pretty amazing … that’s 4,363 miles / 7022 km by road! No doubt I miss paying way less for that, but here we are.
When it comes to international packages, this is were I really cry. It has about doubled since about 2-3 years ago.

I sent this packet out on May 1, 2023 and just received it back a week or so ago. Some may think this is bad service some may think good service. Sometimes things get lost in the mail and that’s just part of the system. I was so surprised and happy to receive it back after all this time. Although, now I need to do a giveaway of these blank unwritten cards again.

1 Like

Congratulations to the next winner? :smile:

1 Like

Im actually getting worried my mail office is throwing out mail. I have an alarming amount of cards not hitting destination suddenly . Some right here in the usa traveling to usa since jan 24. I suspected a problem, so mailed my self a card on january 29th. it still hasn’t come yet. im not sure who to even complain to , the local post office or the distro center

Did you use a blue box, at the counter, or the slot inside? Blue boxes have been getting broken into all over the US. In any case I would complain directly to the Postal Inspectors. You can find the information at the USPS website at the bottom of the home page. There should be a link to them there. The website is usps.com