How fast do you send a postcard?

I used to mail within a day or so but quite a few members say they get all their cards delivered on the same day so I’m going to wait a week or 2 and then mail to hopefully have them arrive on some other day.

2 Likes

I’m super new here so I don’t have much to go off of oops (my first two cards are doing their best to get to their destination!) but I tend to like to mull over what to write for a while. I usually write the address and put all the stamps on first though, as a reminder/pressure to myself that it’s still waiting on the side.

Today I picked a name for who I think would really, really enjoy a card from a major attraction near my hometown, so I’m excitedly waiting for it to be delivered to me! I think once I get a base pool of cards on hand, the whole process will go faster. Currently, I mostly only have greeting cards and letter-writing paper, since that’s what I tended to use before I decided to join Postcrossing as a new year resolution (write more letters!)

4 Likes

Hi there, I read the profiles first. Not always I have immediately a card in my mind or a text to write. Some
Postcrossers wish to read good stories.
Good stories need time.
But I always check the destinations and send those farthest away and with strange postal service first (like Russia, China e.g.)
Cards have 60 days to arrive, so what is the rush?
For me it’s about quality, not uantity :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I requested a whole bunch of addresses at once because I thought I had the supplies and the energy to send a bunch, but I am worried I won’t be able to actually send postcards to some of the addresses in a timely manner. Is there any way to “give back” some of the addresses to Postcrossing, or do I just hold onto these addresses until I am able to send the cards, no matter how long it will take?

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a way to give it back
Cards will be unable to register if they are marked traveling for 365+ days, and after 60 days it expires!

2 Likes

It’s okay to not send cards out immediately. It will take longer for the cards to arrive and they will show traveling while they are waiting to be mailed.

11 Likes

Maybe just write a short greeting, quote or something “easy” to each card, or if you drew 10 address, write two each day, so it takes 5 days.
But there is no way to give back the addresses.

10 Likes

You don’t have to mail the same day that you draw…you can stagger them out a bit. Perhaps write and mail some of them in the next few days, and the remainder next week.

4 Likes

Don’t worry about it too much. I received a bunch of cards which were sent waaaay later than when the addresses were requested. Cards can be registered up to 1 year after all.
Sometimes life gets between our hobbies and that’s OK. Just send the cards when you have time and the means to do so.

13 Likes

There is no true deadline for sending the cards out. They will expire eventually. Just be sure you do send them out and keep in mind your energy level next time you request addresses.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Asher!

Send the cards to the countries farthest away first & then work on the rest as you can. Life events & our energy levels do affect this hobby. Do what you can when you can.

Do you have any friends or neighbours who could help you get this batch done?

6 Likes

Hi @skolya
Welcome to the forum :grinning:

No, there is no way to return addresses.
You also confirm every time you draw an address that you will send a card there.

It doesn’t matter if you wait a few days to send the cards and even if there is no real deadline, I personally think it’s unfair to wait too long, because somewhere there is a user waiting to catch a card out of their letterbox.

I don’t know how you’ll solve the problem now - maybe you’ll find the time to write a card every now and then.
And preferably always to the users who have received the fewest cards so far - because especially the new users are eagerly waiting for a card.

And next time, it’s best if you always draw just one address and then write the card before you move on - then this won’t happen again.

Good luck!

22 Likes

This suggestion is difficult in my opinion because it has a privacy issue - please don’t give the adresses of Postcrossers to a third party!

11 Likes

I think there’s lots of ways someone could help without doing that - get the postcards chosen, find the stamps, put them on, suggest what to write, write down what the person wants to say, mail them etc

3 Likes

Please make sure everyone gets a postcard - letters is not what this site is about. You can send a letter along with the postcard, but not instead of one.

10 Likes

I think the answer is pretty clear from the responses - don’t worry too much about sending this bunch of postcards out “late.” Just get them out as soon as you can. But, now you know why quite a lot of people do 1 postcard at a time.
I had an address I forgot for over a week - I was SO mad at myself - and embarrassed! When I discovered my mistake, I wrote the actual date I mailed it and I wrote my sincere apologies for mailing it so late. And now I only draw 1 address at a time and I only draw one when I know I’ll finish it. I don’t worry about how many or how few cards I’m allowed or how many are traveling. It’s all about enjoying the process!

4 Likes

Just postcards, not letters. :wink:

1 Like

In a pinch, pick X random postcards to send. Then, write the same boilerplate message to all your reciipients. “Hi, I’m NAME from PLACE. My hobbies are XYZ. I’d like to share with you one of my favourite quotations…” Or whatever! The recipients won’t compare their cards and won’t know that their message is the same.

Most of us prefer a more personal approach, but if you’re feeling oppressed by the prospect of writing them, make it easier on yourself. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

9 Likes

I recently received a card that had the date written on the card as December, but after I registered it, I saw it had been drawn in June.
I sent them an extra message to say thank you, as I assumed the first card had gotten lost. Instead the sender said they drew some names in June and simply forgot mine. I said I appreciated them following up and sending me a card! Better late than never :slight_smile:
I think there’s lots of good suggestions here in the comments. Even if you send just one card a week to get through all the names, that’s good. I appreciate you asking for help, and sharing how you’re feeling. Thank you.

10 Likes

I once received a message to my email from a user asking have I received their card. I was not home so I thought I will reply them a bit later. I think it was next day I got home and saw a new card. I entered it to the system and it turned out the account was closed. Then I checked my email and it was the same. No way to contact this person anymore.

The card was close to expire but it was sent recently.

It made me so sad. I feared this person was so ashamed their card (or perhaps even several) were sent this late so they couldn’t do anything but quit. At the same time, I applauded their courage to send the card eventually even if it took so many months. But it was sad I couldn’t tell how much I appreciated it.

I kept this card for a long time on my bridge door for an inspiration. I wish they are well. :heart:

9 Likes