How do you store or display your postcards?

I store my postcards by a personalized album,but the ideas in this topics inspire me :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

This is my wall :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I know this was a while ago but it’s so cool! What a great idea!

I store the new cards I receive with a magnet on the fridge… the older ones are stored in a box.

2 Likes

We moved into our new home 2 weeks ago (still needs a complete renovation as you can see from the wall in the photo :smiling_face:) and today I have hung up the Christmas cards I could find from my collection. That way I could also conceal the unfinished wall for the upcoming 1-2 years that we will be busy renovating other parts.

These are 42 cards already ( I sent and receive Christmas cards all year long :christmas_tree::email:) but there are many more in storage boxes still ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::snowman_with_snow:

13 Likes

Greetings from India :india:

Dear All,

I am passionate Philatelist. Also collecting Souvenirs, Fridge magnets and Hotwheels cars. Right now I keep all things in Plastic box. But that’s not quite good.

I am planning to make one Cupboard in my bedroom to keep all philatelic things inside. But I want to make showcase too on outside for Souvenirs and Fridge magnets.

I meet many carpenters and interior designer but i don’t like those ideas. They clearly can’t understand the collectors feelings.

If any of us made this type of cupboard cum showcase in their room then my kind request to share the photos.

So, I can guide someone to make the proper thing.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely yours,
DJ

The vast majority of Chinese postcards are standard in size of 10x15cm. I can stick them together with strong adhesive tape. Flipping through it feels like a book. You may change the cover with different paper bags. It is quite popular here recently.

18 Likes

Hello everybody!

I keep postcards vertically in the drawers of the closet. I used to laminate almost all the postcards I received, now I put them in a cellophane file (package). I put some of them under the glass on the desktop.

13 Likes

I am still in my first 7 months of Postcrossing. I just received a nice postcard from a person in Germany who has over 9,000 postcards sent and recieved. I can only imagine what that looks like and how they manage their collection. I’d love to hear about, or see how people keep, and still enjoy, their large collections. I think I need a pinboard for my latest cards. I’m approacing 40 cards and they are outgrowing the clip on my nightstand. I can hardly imagine having 9000 cards!
Uploading: 1000008184.jpg…

2 Likes

That’s like DIY book binding!

@SteelTownGirl That’s an important thing to consider. Since you asked for suggestions, I will give one to avoid. If you look at the other members’ replies over time to this question, one thing many have in common: their collections are kept in book, boxes or all filing system like that of @Netta. or @fujirock

I organize my postcards in photo storage boxes. Some of the boxes have alphabetical index card dividers. Starting from the top:

■ Two shelving units. The cards in the boxes are my collection, mostly international. The one to the left has boxes for trade cards and those postcards for my online store, though not yet scanned.
■ Middle scan Shows (9) boxes containing my United States Cities postcard collection
■ Bottom Scan (Blue & Black Boxes) these contain my online store inventory identified by subject (“Lighthouses” “Maps” “Courthouses” etc.).

As you can see from this type of arrangement, the postcards are organized and protected. That is why I would avoid pining your cards to a board or whatever. Many years ago, I bought a lot of cards on eBay described as “highly collectible.” All of cards were damaged with thumb tack holes. It was outrage because I contacted the seller about the condition of the lot before bidding on it. I was scammed. I threw out the whole lot. Again, the choice is yours; but you may wish to reconsider using pins. What you can do, if you want to see your cards, use removable tape to affix your cards to a board.

9 Likes

700 postcards fit in a shoe box.
Though you have to find an alternative for longer cards.

5 Likes

2-2.5k on hand, they only occupy 1/10 of a 1.6*1.8m bookshelf.
My philatelic experience has taught me that the most space-consuming thing is the booklet. So I only put every certain amount into a plastic bag, make the most of my storage space
guess it’s limited to about 40k

2 Likes

Yes, I did think of the pinning as not such a good idea, but I can always hang then with a small clip on the board. It would only be the latest ones. The rest are probably going into some kind of shoebox or nicer crafted box that i can make. I’d love to turn a real mailbox into a postcard box, but be able to lift off or open the top part. This is my cool idea right now.

2 Likes

I just painted an old wooden shutter for displaying greeting cards. Postcards work great too!

13 Likes

I use an album, but it’s frustrating because it is standard 6x4 photo size holders and sometimes I get postcards which are bigger and then they are loose and not in date order. I need to research a better way of storing them.

1 Like

Update for how the wall looks now - I added 9 more Christmas cards last week! :christmas_tree:
Merry Christmas in July! :snowman_with_snow:

5 Likes

Wow that’s a really cool thing to know! 700! :exploding_head: I have to start saving shoeboxes then! :smiley:

What sleeves are those?
And what do you do when a postcard is bigger and won’t fit there?
Thank you

Here‘s an amazon link for the sleeves:
https://www.amazon.de/Products-Transparent-Perforated-Documents-Polypropylene/dp/B076M4B6BV/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2L29DDD2TIO1Y&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5vHsnHiP40GKPmQCC0Glq31p8_EXsM6lYAZjQ3_slYIcZ0J9rgLONpFQEeuS8Y77PWOhuAqbLJ_YDU-M6Z0HFcBTDu42ErVpM50uyz3QSsYANTiZrJ5ZHSFZoQO_Akp2e356OKBGoMBLJbHd7LAgJ7ki5PG4S0ir8tMTAZl6IMErhtWiCBVVWESd84Nb7V5RFSEIlEqkwfbpN7JmzHcLpA.Jd3MJjsCuoxEIOzZkgWXvDjiQ27QmFe6XwK9FDsQCK8&dib_tag=se&keywords=klarsichthüllen+a4&qid=1720203064&sprefix=klar%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-3
The size is A4, therefore, pretty much every card fits in! If a postcard is bigger than the usual size, i just use one sleeve for 3 instead of 4 postcards. I hope i could help you:)!

2 Likes