How do you show your compassion with Ukraine without writing political words?

Hello,
first of all best wishes to russian postcrossers.
they are not all responible for the war.
I don’t write any political word on my card.
But I show my compassion for Ukraine decorating my russian cards
through yellow and blue stickers (flowers , butterflies )
what will you do without political words ?
Best wishes for you all from posthexe

I changed some words off my topic,because some people missunderstood my question.

4 Likes

I buy my postcards from Postal Ukraine which is a shop in Ukraine that supports local artist by using their designs. They are really wonderful cards and made of really high quality card.

I also send postcards to people in Ukraine through Postcards to the Front. The Australian branch has been set up by a Postcrossing member @Damage

I support a charity that called The Harmony Fund that has set up a fund to provide food and medical supplies for animals in Ukraine by delivering these goods to rescue groups, animal shelters and sanctuaries.

23 Likes

Thanks for posting this and for the links. Very good information.

2 Likes

In fact you cannot do anything without making a political statement - on any topic. :wink:
Even saying nothing is a statement, i.e. silent acceptance of the status quo.

But as an option for not putting the blame on the addresse an yet saying something about the war, you might put it like this for instance:
“I hope the pointless suffering and destruction in Ukraine will soon come to an end.”
But, as I said, whatever you say or don’t say about the war - there will always be some kind of judgement (on the war itself) in it.

20 Likes

The moment you support Ukraine without mentioning Russia, you’re already making a political statement… It says: I support Ukraine, not Russia. And of course, that’s fine if that’s your opinion and it gives you the idea you are supporting/helping people, but you might also think of the Russian civilians and how they might perceive this. They didn’t ask for a war, they didn’t ask for Putin. Yet they too, have become unwillingly involved - and victims - of this horrible war.
Maybe their father, brother or husband is forced to fight in a war they often don’t support theirselves either.
From my opinion: I always show support to Russian postcrossers as well: I write them that I hope they are safe and that this war doesn’t affect their wellbeing. Also I state I hope this war will end soon, for all.

24 Likes

I don’t understand the need to show compassion for Ukraine when sending cards to Russia at all. Do you do this in cards you send to other countries? Also, decorating your card in Ukrainian colours most certainly can be seen as a political statement, and a pretty passive aggressive one at that.

28 Likes

I wouldn’t make such a statement on a postcard sent without envelope to a Russian member, neither in words nor in colors, because I don’t want to cause difficulties for them.

What if the mailman or the concierge see this and think that the recipient must oppose the war, which is forbidden by the Russian government?

29 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with your perspective. I typically conclude my postcards by wishing recipients good health and safety. Frankly, Russian Postcrossing users have found themselves in a difficult position since the onset of the conflict.

In my view, it’s essential to remember that during times of war, all victims are innocent, as are the citizens of the country engaged in the conflict. Ultimately, this fact remains unchanged. What we can do is extend our support to those who are suffering in all nations.

"To quote Oscar Wilde, “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

13 Likes

My thoughts exactly, I’m trying to stay away from the subject in case the postcards get taken over by the oppressors. I’m not sending to Russia, due to Polish ban on mail to and from Russia, so in my case I’m talking much about war on the postcards to Ukraine. On the postcard you have an address, if you get too open about supporting one side, once found by a wrong party the postcard may become a danger to those who’s address is on it.

I may be imagining to much but this is what I fear. I simply wish them peace and love, I wish I could say how angry I am and how I wish they stay safe but I am also not sure if they want to read about this. People of Ukraine live in the middle of the war, I never know what to think about what would they prefer to receive. Something that would distract them from the scary reality or something that shows my support. All and all it is a delicate subject, so I always decide to tell them about my dog and how I wish them all the best.

5 Likes

I personally wish peace to all those I write to.
:dove:

14 Likes

In my opinion it’s impossible to “make a political statement without making a political statement”.
That being said, I do not understand why one would want to explicitely make a statement about a war on postcrossing, when postcrossing is about connecting and spreading joy.
But there are two other points I’d like to express. When reading a political statement about the war in Ukraine, I often wonder if they actually care about the other wars too that happen on this world or have happened only a few years ago. Because almost nobody writes about them. And secondly: Writing about war or using certain symbols can place the recipient in serious danger, as others have already pointed out.

11 Likes

I think one can show solidarity without necessarily expressing support or aversion to politician ideologies, but flag emojis and statements in profiles are about as effective as bumper stickers. Try engaging with people on an individual level/ in a more intimate way. It’s paid dividends for me - messaging various people individually and engaging in open discourse. Most people, regardless of their stance on this (or most any subject) provide interesting insight and seem to be more than willing to discuss. Postcrossing people tend to be nice people, regardless where they’re from!

5 Likes

After reading all the replies to this post. I think the comment by @corny77 mirrors my thinking on the subject. I am 100% neutral when it comes to these political conflicts. I do realize that sometimes these things are inescapable from being noticed. I will give you an example. A few years ago, I got a card from a Russian member writing from " The Republic of Crimea." As I recall, the view was of a bridge - the one that was seriously damaged more than a year ago. The stamp on the card was a Russian one. Her message on the card was quite nationalistic. Even so, I registered the card with thanks and that was that.

The other point that was made was some conflicts get big splashy headlines, while others pass under the radar with barely a whisper. But going back to what to write (if anything), my advice is to keep it neutral. I like " I hope and your family are staying safe."

7 Likes

I have been supportive in my cards to Ukraine and when I still could send cards to Russia, I wished all the best to the recipients, chose nice cards for them and decorated the cards nicely, but I didn’t mention the war.

4 Likes

Some food for thought. To quote Martin Luther King: “Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

I never make assumptions when writing to Russia. I write my cards like I always do. I do not mention the war and I wish them well. I show my compassion for Ukraine when I write cards to people from Ukraine.

13 Likes

And I want to live without political statements. At home, without worrying about your family and friends. So that I at least have a home and people don’t look at me with sadness when I say where I come from. And a country that was not attacked by Russia can never say “the Russians are not guilty.” guilty And this is my position as a child living in wartime. Thanks to all the people and countries that support my country! This is very important to us! Thank you! :ukraine::heavy_heart_exclamation:

13 Likes

I understand your point, but I think it’s not illogical to write about the war in Ukraine when you send to a country which is a direct protagonist of the conflict. I mean, I am sure that a lot of people would write about local wars if they had to write to some Yemeni / Burma / Ethiopian postcrossers, but there is simply no postcrosser there.
I guess that if Postcrossing had existed twenty years ago, American postcrossers would have received messages about the war in Iraq.
(but I do agree with you on the substance, many conflicts go under the radar, it’s almost as if the hundred people killed a few days ago in Myanmar by the government don’t count for instance, and that’s very sad)

6 Likes

Going back to the original question, I also mention that wonderful speech found in The Dictator, especially when asked what my favorite quote is. I find that speech very powerful.

3 Likes

If you look at my profile, I think it is clear that I Support Ukraine in this conflict, but I never write anything about the war to Russian Postcrossers. I don’t want to cause those who oppose the war any more guilt or get anyone into trouble. It doesn’t seem fitting to write them about it.
More often than not, I have received “thank you” messages on my cards where the Postcrosser mentions they do not support the war and are thankful that they were not judged simply because they are Russian.

However, I did once draw a sunflower on a card that I sent to someone in Russia since she posted on her profile that she supports the war, the western media lies and that Ukraine is full of Nazis. I wanted to write more, even debated on not sending a card, but I decided to abide by the rules and just passively send my thoughts.

If anyone wants to support a volunteer group who brings supplies to civilians and Soldiers in Ukriane, I can recommend Radical Aid Force (on Instagram). I know them personally and they are doing good work :grin::metal:t2:

8 Likes

Well, I’d like to mention again that Postcrossing is for spreading joy.
But even if it weren’t, I do not see any reason to write about the war. Why would I do that? The people I write to are not the one to blame. And even if they were (which they are not!), I prefer being friendly.
And what you wrote about that it would be the same with other countries as well: I wonder how you come to your conclusion. How many people use Ukrainian stickers, write about the war between Ukraine and Russia, are sending blue-yellow symbols, write it on their profile page, use the “s… u…” and so on and so on. Have you experienced people doing that in any other war, conflict or human rights violation? As far as I can remember I’ve recieved one card in my “postcrossing lifetime” mentioning another conflict. With Russia-Ukraine-War, about 1/4 of the cards have something about this war. Maybe I should add a “leave war out of postcrossing” on my profile, but I am not the type for “I don’t want this and that”-lists (which does not mean I think they’re wrong, they’re just not for me).

6 Likes