Help - Achieving good quality scans of sent and/or received postcards?

Oftentimes I receive cards that are perfectly scanned. I wonder if there’s a trick to this, or if people are actually using scanners? See this recently received card for an example!

So often I use my mobile phone to snap a photo of a card I send (or one I receive, that I really like). It’s nearly impossible to get a nice, straight, quality image. Is there something I could be doing to achieve the outcome similar to the example above? Again - see this example of my “problem” scan.

Any input welcomed!

4 Likes

I use a free app called Photoscan, after seeing people recommend scanning rather than snapping.
Generally it does a really good job.
If you have a look at my sent cards you can see if the quality is sufficient for you.

9 Likes

I use an actual scanner, like, a printer with scan function. See example here:

1 Like

Another vote for the Google Photoscan app. It works really well.

4 Likes

Even though I usually use an actual scanner, I can achieve basically the same results by taking a picture with my phone. I would advice you to stand close to a window in natural sunlight. If your shadow gets in the way, gently tilt the upside of the card upwards by putting something under it. Don’t forget to crop it nicely on your phone :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@xxxxyyyyzzzz From what I can see, this appears like it may work! Let me continue seeing what the people have to say in the meantime.

I use a scanner, but if I had to use my phone and are bothered with the quality, I’d recommend using a scanner app (e.g. Photoscan by Google)

1 Like

I use Office Lens app in my mobile phone to scan the postcards. Its helps to crop the image really well than my phone camera. I scan the photo in any angle and just press four corners to crop the photo and the unnecessary background parts will be gone totally, then rotate it to the right angle.

3 Likes

I use PhotoScan too. It’s easy and does a good job

1 Like

Basically I do something similar. My phone takes decent enough photos and there’s an editing tool already built in to the photo aspect of it anyway. I don’t have a scanner and do not plan on getting one either :sweat_smile: Plus that would start to feel too much like work as well. I adjust the color and light, etc, as needed. I’m an artist so I want the image to look good, and be accurate too.

I did draw a name once who in their profile said when sending a card, it should be scanned, no photos! Haha, are you kidding me? I wrote my card to them explaining not everyone has a scanner or access to a scanner or can even afford a scanner.

5 Likes

Thanks for this suggestion! I’m probably driving people crazy with the photos of postcards with my thumb holding them :grimacing: I appreciate you sharing!

1 Like

I use Photoscan exclusively and am always pleased with the results. You can check out my Sent cards on my wall to see a good set of examples. The most recent update now requires only one photo and sometimes simple adjustments of the corners.

3 Likes

The photoscan app was a game changer for me! Before I discovered it (I think it was mentioned on a blog or in some discussion here) I struggled to get good photos, but now they’re nearly always really good. And the app is free.

3 Likes

I’ve always used a flatbed scanner. With the associated photo editing tools, my cards come out pretty good. If I am scanning large lots for auction, I use my phone then send the photos to the free Paint app to make the necessary tweaks.

1 Like

For some reason I like seeing the card picture taken showing something else too, like a thumb, part of a desk etc.

Still I use Photoscan app myself too, but only take the easiest and fastest scan there, because for me it’s to remember what card it was.

3 Likes

Some postcards are actually protected against scanning - so if you use a scanner on them you get a picture with lots of stripes or something. Inny experience you get better results with a distal camera or a phone.

1 Like

When you hold the phone further from the postcard, there will be less of a curve to the edges. I believe all phones have some software that you can edit the photo with. Rotate it as needed, cut, adjust colours. My phone shows me if I hold it horizontal when I take photos, which helps a lot too. I take photos with my phone, rotate, cut and upload. It takes seconds and I think it looks alright.

4 Likes

I’m using the Microsoft Lens app with my phone. It makes good and easy scans; only when the picture is very dark and glossy it’s hard to avoid reflections on the scan. Doing the scans at a window in (not too bright) daylight helps.

1 Like

That’s my technique too, and I’m very happy with the results.

1 Like

Thank you for saying this! Makes me feel less bad about my clunky photos :smiley:

1 Like