Have you ever gotten a card or seen a profile with a political or religious message?

Maybe I did not express myself well enough in my post above because I don’t believe I am off topic and that my post should be removed?

My point was simply, I would never send a card to someone with a motive on the front or write about the topic they prefer to discuss, whether it be about spiders or babies or politics or god.
I used the example of spiders since many people have a phobia of them and also understand that others are afraid of them. Not everyone understands how traumatic religion is hence my usage of a different and perhaps more relatable topic (spiders).

I think it’s simply being self-aware and being aware of others and their feelings. Some people unfortunstely doesn’t possess that ability. I try not to get too offend though since people technically can send nearly anything they want.
But, I also understand being frustrated or offended at certain cards and messages.
Ergo: just respect people and their wishes including the message, not just the postcard photo.

I ask for the last time that you do not talk about the problem with the card without ID - there is nothing new there and we are just going around in circles.
If the card has been reported to the support, they will take care of it.

And please stop talking off-topic, because we have enough other topics where your themes fits in.

You are shooing away users who seriously want to report on problems here, and when users (have to) ignore or mute other users, we are not happy about it and it is not what we want here.

2 Likes

I personally don’t mind if the topic wanders a little, I think sometimes you need to step off to get a better view :slight_smile: but as earlier my post about getting a pro-vegan postcard, that to me felt very “religion-like”, was removed as off topic, so I thought this is strictly religion or politics. It is strange if other members can write about other topics and I can’t.

Now I don’t know if other topics are allowed here?
Only religion and politics (this is a little hard to decide what is, and to me the vegan preaching goes into politics).

Is this topic only if the religion or politics theme is a problem?

( ->I think then the title maybe needs change, I thought it’s ok to mention if such cards are ok and what type, like the op does. And if this is only reporting problems (problematic religion and politic themed messages), then definitely merge this thread with the what I linked earlier (Things on postcards that you did not enjoy reading.) Now it’s two negative toned threads about messages, maybe one is enough :slight_smile: (hopefully!))

The answer is no. The person who start this discussion is wanting to discuss about receiving cards with political or religious messages written on them.

This is not the place to go off-topic. It’s better to stick to the said subjects or you create a new thread and discuss whatever topics you find interesting since you have found so many new ideas from going nearly off-topic here.

1 Like

Yes. It was yesterday. Not political but a little bit religious. There were a few sentences about buddhism and the person wished me good things and hopefully peace in the world. And there was a quote to that topic. So for me it was ok. I’m not very religious, but I think it’s really ok to share the own feelings about religion, as long as the writer stays polite with his words. And I think the same about political topics. (But I hope this will be rare at Postcrossing, because for me there are so many other things to write about, that are more interesting.)

2 Likes

And this is off topic too, there is a thread about do members read the profiles or not:

Like Bille wrote:

So this is not the thread to talk about should one read the profile or not and what kind of persons do read and what not.

I just noticed sorting my cards yesterday, I haven’t even thought I get a lot of political messages lately, especially from the USA, congratulating about our NATO membership, before that about hoping we get to be members, and how they are sure we will be part of NATO etc.

I think, it is likely to get a political toned messaged when there is some happening like this, and also especially if it’s related to the sender country and receiver country.

(Mostly I’m surprised that I think all messages are assuming all Finns were hoping to be in the NATO, while there are people who don’t want that.)

Just wondering: why do you find it disgusting? Do you feel offended?
For religious people, I think it is a way to share positive vibes, don’t you think? Or are these types of postcards usually followed by not-so-nice messages?

I’ve got a Stalin propaganda postcard from a Russian member and was shocked. The man was a monster and also killed many Russians… Why do people send such a card, I don’t get it.
I’ve contacted the Support and did not register it.

1 Like

Could it be because you list ‘Rulers of the World’ in your wishes?

15 Likes

Exactly my thoughts.

5 Likes

I got an official card today that had a religious quote on the front and written on the back. My profile asks for non religious/political cards, but I didn’t mind it. They took time out if their life to send me a lovely card and wrote a lengthy message as well, and I appreciate it very much.

3 Likes

It was not from the “RotW” series.
Stalin with a child and propaganda text.

Could it be that the person is unaware of such series and thought you’re collecting any rulers, for historical purposes?
If the text on the backside was friendly?
If it’s card like that, which says ‘Let our Motherland thrive’, I don’t see any propaganda-like in it, it’s historical card, many people collect such posters:

Maybe the person doesn’t knows English well too, and didn’t understand all words in your profile or it was through online translator?
In my opinion it makes sense to give every postcrosser some credit and reasonable doubt, since it might be just misunderstanding

24 Likes

Never heard of them before. Know MOTW and FOTW, but this :thinking:

8 Likes

I think it was the card you show.
All I can say is that I was shocked and sad to received such a card.

I collect Royal rulers, not dictators or mass murderers like Stalin, Hitler or Mao.

Rulers of the Word Series

1 Like

Thank you - fantastic card :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And yet you have in your favourites from Belgium, Leopold II (BE-799036) who’s guilty of horrible atrocities in Congo, 10 million dead. Just saying :woman_shrugging: It’s history, Royal rulers were not better. And in Rulers of Lithuania series there is a card with Hitler =)

EDIT: Also to add on historical things - Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia, cards with whom there are multiple in your favourites also is guilty of that, for example: Bloody Sunday (1905) - Wikipedia

And still I don’t think the person was intending to offend you in any way (unless the message was unkind) and could not read your mind prior to sending that your reaction would be like that

30 Likes

Okay, okay.
You’re right about Leopold II. And Nicholas II.
Catherine the Great was also not nice… and Wilhelm II. was a bully.

OMG! I’m glad I didn’t get the Hitler postcard :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I think that this is a perfect example of how our profiles can communicate and mis-communicate in equal measure.
The person sending the card probably thought that they had found the perfect card for you!

@Xute I think that you have it just right:

I realise that there are a minority of Postcrossers who try to use the site as a platform for spreading political and religious messages, and that this can be very hurtful, but I am convinced that most people are just trying to send a card that the recipient will like, and to communicate something of themselves in the message, if they are able.

8 Likes