Have you ever gotten a card or seen a profile with a political or religious message?

Huh, I was just wondering how to react to some profile statements when I came across this thread.
I consider myself a tolerant enough person, to a degree where the other people respect my views and do not force their views upon me aggressively.
I am new to Postcrossing but I am already close to giving up on it. Though have not received a bad/offensive card myself (should I add “yet” LOL), but I have seen a few profiles with very strong wording and some offensive statements expressing their personal views.

I feel like Postcrossing should have rules limiting the way/level of such statements. It is totally fine to mention that one believes in whatever/whoever, supports the political agenda of whatever or is voting for XYZ… BUT. It should not entail insulting, abusing or demeaning those who do not have similar views. Otherwise the whole idea of promoting a friendly kind environment pursued by Postcrossing community falls defeated.

3 Likes

I hardly see such extremist profiles. Some are there and maybe ten writers tried to get me into their way of belief, but out of more than 7000 cards received, so that is still not much. I think there is no need for the staff to get active, for extremists will not become happy here.

6 Likes

I don’t recall ever seeing any extremist political/religious profiles in the two years (500 cards) that I’ve been here?

I’ve mentioned the one (1) unpleasant Hurray message I received previously: “Are you related to a certain Nazi war criminal?” Easily outweighed by being amazed at how many members are truly interesting, very intelligent people.

4 Likes

I agree with aboves, it’s very rare to see something extreme, and if it feels so, I try to think, is this different age from me, different culture, different language, maybe even wait a day, do I read it differently then.

But I have seen statements in profile that were not ok, I reported it, and it was removed. (Threats with legal activities, if something was sent to them, I know it wouldn’t happen in reality, but such threats are not ok of course and appear very hostile.)

And, opinions/views told so that it’s insulting the other one is not ok either (like non meat eater was calling meat eaters eating that shit :flushed:, it’s not ok).

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call those “extremist” statements. More like rude and insulting.
I would prefer if there were some filters or some kind of mechanism that would allow one to block certain profiles to avoid their messages or possible pairing of addresses. Of course, if it gets personal, it can be reported or complained about.

You can still report profiles with rude or insulting bits and let the admins decide whether it needs to be addressed. I have definitely seen a fair few profiles with aggressive statements — I would say these are a small minority but not truly rare.

If it’s just something that’s fairly reasonable but worded rudely, often it comes down to language and culture — many Postcrossers are dealing with English as a second language and translating from languages that are more direct. I think it gets easier to recognise that and not bristle at the ‘rude’ phrasing of requests as you interact with more people and more profiles. Often you have positive experiences with those same people who have rude profiles.

7 Likes

Yes, I meant it don’t need to be awfully wrong or extreme to report.

Blocking profiles on official site is not happening, therefore it’s good to report profiles anyone thinks is against the guidelines/rules. Here in the forum you can block members:

But then, a member you block here, you can still get their address or card from them on the official site.

2 Likes

I agree. English is my native language but I’m fluent in German. I’m have a lot of friends and relatives who are native German speakers fluent in English. Their English tends to be a bit more direct, though, sometimes bordering on rude. Having said that, when I’m speaking German and am tired, jet-lagged or forgetful, I tend to use the German verb “will” (demand) instead of “moechte” (want) or “haette gern” (would like) when making a request because the first sounds like an English word, the second is the easiest, and the third is the last grammar structure I learned (and also most formal and polite).

1 Like

I agree. Any profile that has offensive statements, and entails insulting, abusing or demeaning words to those who do not have similar views should be reported. That goes against Postcrossing community standards.

Please do not let the misdeeds and bias of a few ruin all of your Postcrossing experience here. I hope you decide to continue. My official number is over 900 now, but I have not seen many accounts to report. I’m sorry to learn in your short time here, you have seen a few already.
Honestly, I experience more possible rudeness and misunderstanding in the forum, so when I only draw official cards and don’t participate here not so much. I’ve also learned from participating in the forum that there are members who are purposely and deliberately antagonistic, and who just like to argue and be right. I was surprised to learn after reading comments of those who will deliberately send a topic that a person has in their dislikes, for example. I just think that’s a sad way to live one’s life, and so I go about my day, and secretly hope they never draw my name.

Additionally since all participants must use English here, I am now aware there are some translation issues too, which I now see a few other members have also mentioned. In the beginning, it was easy to forget. I have experienced here in the forum that occasionally members communicate in a manner that reads are harsh or worse, but after further discussion, realize it is a misunderstanding due to translation. I am not saying that is what you have experienced, of course.

10 Likes

Oh my, what horrific stories I ‘m reading here. Makes me worried about what I might receive… (I didn’t state anything in my profile, because I think I’m an open minded and reasonable person - still there could be messages I find offensive, like extremistic religious or political propaganda. At the same time I feel worried about what what I can write on a postcard that I send to a country where there are forms of censorship. I recently wanted to share something about a book I love. It’s about an artist from Russia and I was convinced it should have been translated to Russian. And then discovered it wasn’t because the book was censored… To discover that made me sad. I wrote something about it to a postcrosser in Russia and now am worried that it could be received as offensive :cry:)

1 Like

I was very happy when I had an addressee who told me that I could write to her about politics. I did, and the receipt message also included the politics, and we were happy with each other. Because you know, not all people like to stand with their eyes closed and talk only about pretty flowers and silver teaspoons.

5 Likes

Blocking and filtering would force segregation and counteract Postcrossings aim to connect people! That is not a good solution. But you can turn to the suoport and they will look at such profiles.

1 Like

Don’t panic! Maybe I saw 10 rude profiles and got 10 cards trying to change my belief or my political point of view, butout of more than 7000 cards that is really nothing!
Yes, we discuss here. But nobody discusses the cards and profiles, which are simply okay, so everything looks a little bad here, but it is not.

4 Likes

No need to be ageist…many people are active in the 70s snd 80s. Likely we have members of Postcrossing in that age range too

A very interesting topic for discussion! I’ll post my 2 cents now!
My profile states no dislikes but I state my likes! I’ve received 1 religious card that I cut up for the stamp, otherwise the others received I kept! I’m careful on what stamps I put on the cards! Unfortunately in the beginning I was short sighted on my post card choices and my God Bless ending! I usually sign off that way but today it’s just Regards or just my name.

Surprisedly enough I’ve received no political cards yet! I’ve received close to 500 cards so far!
I love church post cards from Europe but don’t think of them as totally religious but I’ll try to be careful on who gets them as I’be bought them on my previous travels! Right now I’m travelling in Europe on travel mode so I’m on the lookout for more.
I received 2 cards from The Crimea area and I found them interesting on their comments after my non political questions!

On the political side our Canadian and American government does not allow post to Russia/Belarus! We can receive it, lucky for us as I love receiving many of those cards from over there! I call that political! Unfortunately for them they can’t receive our beautiful scenery cards showing our countries’s highlights! I’m in Europe for 7 weeks travelling and brought some Canadian postcards to send if I drew a address from Russia/Belarus when on travel mode! So far it’s 3 addresses out of 10!

I am one of the many members from all over the world and we all have different views and must respect them even if we disagree! I loved many of the previous comments as I went through the topic!

1 Like

Why shouldn’t old men be the best choice? Being old is not a quality, but being young isn’t either!

Age is not a quality, that is true, but there are differences that are inherent to age.

Older people then to be more conservative in their choices. So they choose to keep things as they are, because things are fine as they are for them. And often they don’t have to live with the consequences long.

Young people are more likely to pursue change, not only for themselfs, but also for others. Because things are not right and the should be right. Both now or for in the future. As they have to live with the concequences, it make sense to try to change the things that don’t work as the benefit it on long term… Both in politics as in other fields. New ways of living, new technology, new cultural ways, they are made by people often under 30.

There is a huge difference in how these groups look at the world, life and everthing.

So when you have younger people in places of power, they are more likely trying to change the dynamics/situation. Most political organisations are filled with older people (over 40 years old), which has an huge impact on their decisions.

In my own country, the House of Representatives average age is 45 years old. The younger members are often from parties that want change.

Then why are the airplanes full with young people flying around the world instead of being sustainable?
I think most people want others to change their behaviour, but do not want to leave their own comfort zone. And that does not depend on age.

1 Like

There are also a lot of older people flying around too. :wink:

But I was gearing to people in politics, not to the individuals. Sustainability is something that the government should pursuit. They have been ignoring the need for sustainability too. Because 30 years ago, current problems were already known. But as solutions weren not their own personal interest, they didn’t care mucht. Noone wants to make unpopular decisions. The greener parties (with more younger people) in my country were always more geared to sustainability, but they were too small to make an impact.

I am not blaming the individual person, we all try to live our best lives. I do blame the politici and how they don’t seem to care about the future unless they have no choice.

The greener parties are small, because the sustainability policy has an impact on the people’s comfort zone. And the peoole do not want that. Young people as well as older ones. If you ask who needs to change the behaviour towards more sustainability, then they say the industry and the other countries.

1 Like