Have you ever gotten a card or seen a profile with a political or religious message?

I think the difference is that dogs and poor children aren’t known for trying to convert people to be like them or for disapproving of other people’s identities and lifestyle choices, but proselytising is a fundamental part of Christianity for many people and many of us have experienced bible-based judgement for some aspect of our lives.

I wouldn’t personally think everyone who sent me a Bible verse was doing so to teach me about Christianity, but I can understand why others would. For what it’s worth, I have received less than 200 official cards but still at least 4 of those have explicitly tried to teach me about the virtues of letting Jesus into my heart. (I sometimes wonder if this is because I specifically mention other religions on my profile, or is this the average Postcrossing experience?)

5 Likes

(Your message was a reply to mine, so I think you are asking me)

Should one not? Because to some pigs are dirty (is this the reason)? I don’t even know what verse is from new testament. The quotes don’t tell it.

Simply, I could have sent such. From me, such card has no hidden meaning. Pig in a card can be a cute farm animal, cartoon, verses to me are words, it doesn’t mean I agree everything in the book, nor hint the receiver should agree and start living by this book.

Do you, with all your sent cards, mean the card is how the receiver should be?

Here is one bible text card I have (this is English version hopefully right):

“Whoever is patient has great understanding,
but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.”

The image is of bird.

I could send this to someone who likes this bird, nature, quotes.

I don’t intentionally insult people, but I also don’t start studying various topics, or play I have their values. I am allowed to my own values. For me, this should be the place where we accept everyone as they are. Super strict views to life, unaccepting attitude, probably this type persons have no interest in communicating here where they might encounter in their eyes an infidel person.

And if I would play by each recipients rules, aren’t they then forcing me​ to turn to their faith, or not accepting me as I am? This is actually interesting to me.

A card showing map of USA, does it mean I should live there, no.
I really don’t think we should approach a postcard this way.

3 Likes

It wouldn’t occur to me to be offended or think anything bad if someone sent me a card with a Menorah candlestick, a mosque, a Hindu temple or a Yezidi Peacock Angel. So why such inadequate beeps with symbols of Christianity? Another double standard that is so in vogue these days?

7 Likes

Yes, I know, still the messages here often turn to assume each people in faith is such.
That’s not true. There are pushy people regardless of what their community is.

I have dealt with vegan who have slogan stickers in their card, telling me what I should eat (even when they don’t even know what I eat or don’t eat), I have had a bi person grab my arse, do I think this is common trait in vegans and bis, no. I recognise the group, but I can’t here publicly write few person makes the whole group such.

Also we need to remember, the people in faith are here, they are equal with any member, don’t mistakenly think they don’t get nasty messages, I am forever surprised the generalisations and stereotypes that are talked here, like it’s true, and how ugly talk is allowed when it’s about religion.

6 Likes

I know this, and it’s always wrong.
Still, we should take each card as from a person, a new possibility, it’s not from a group. If someone talks about their god in religious cards, it’s only that card.
My card with a bible verse is not connected to your personal history, because I don’t know of it. It’s not also connected to any previous sender.

Maybe this varies from place to place. I live in area with lots of religious people, even in Finnish terms if this area is talked, the religious groups are taken up. They don’t force their religion, actually they often hide it, because of how they are treated. Such person can feel in a card they are allowed to be themselves and talk about their life.

Could be if one is used to encounter proselytising, it’s easy to see it where it isn’t.

And also:
report such members who do it “badly” (I don’t know how to decide, one is allowed to talk about their life I think), it can be only few who does so, but if no one reports, it goes on.

I also haven’t said that all people of a group are the same and I cannot remember that others here did this!

But remember, we’re talking here about people who are proselytizing others and who are condemn others for what they are doing or not doing. Certain people of a group, not the group as a whole.

And if someone feels annoyed by an aggressive christian, vegan or whatever then it is okay to talk about here - this is what this topic was made for.

4 Likes

I think, however unfair it may be, many things can’t be separated from their historical or social context. We wouldn’t send a flag of a country to someone in a place we know was invaded by that country and think it’s okay because the flag is pretty and the recipient should take it as an individual card with no history. I would never send something Australia Day-themed to an Aboriginal Australian and tell them they should just take my card at face value and forget the oppression it is connected to.

For many people, at many times in history, Christianity has been oppressive in one way or another. That doesn’t mean it’s fair to think badly of all Christians or all Christian imagery, of course, but it does mean we know that related imagery brings up complicated feelings for many people and I don’t really think people receive any card (or anything else) without connecting it to their broader experience.

(I receive many cards that mention going to church or similar and I don’t think these are particularly interesting but I’m not upset or offended by them. It’s the multiple cards that have explicitly told me they hope I can learn to let X into my heart and be a better person etc. etc. that I would very fairly consider proselytising and have reported.)

11 Likes

And what will happen when representatives of any religion start reporting non-believers as sending them “infidel” cards and writing about “infidel” things? Postcrossing will cease to exist!

P.S. for clarity. I am not a Christian and I do not belong to any religion at all. I’m just against double standards where some are more equal than others.

1 Like

I’m not really sure what this means? But if your point is that it’s wrong to report people who send cards telling you you’re living your life wrong, then I disagree and don’t think there is a double standard.

If I receive a card that tells me I should be a better person and learn to believe in God, I report this.

If someone who mentions Christianity (or any other religion in their profile) receives a card telling them they’re a bad person because of their beliefs, that’s also awful and they should absolutely report it.

If I were to report someone for sending me a card that generally mentioned religion, then I imagine the admins would tell me it’s not against the guidelines and I have to accept these kinds of messages if I continue with Postcrossing. If a religious person reports someone who mentions something generally that goes against their religion, I’d expect the same thing to happen.

I don’t think there is a double standard.

4 Likes

And I haven’t said you said, you didn’t say I said you said… :slight_smile: let’s not go into that.

I remember well how these types of complaints about religion related card turn into hateful sounding “those religious people/their faith” and “us” who they might been. Very clear division of those vs some other group.

some are, and I was pointing how what some sees as such, can be a verse in a card, from a not member of a church, who thought they send a nice card

But it’s good I won’t think my money is wasted then, I like writing the card, mean well, if the other member don’t see it, it’s sad.

Now I gather courage to check if I was the one sending the bible verse card :sweat_smile: , and will I offer sending a better card because definitely there would have been huge misunderstanding there.

As far as I can tell, Jewish and Muslim people are only opposed to eating pigs, not to their very existence. So if that person’s profile said they like animal pictures, barnyard scenes, or something else that might include a pig I would have no problem sending those cards.

4 Likes

Today is St. Patrick’s Day and I bought a package of St. Patrick’s Day postcards to send in a Facebook group but had too many and used some here as officials.

I didn’t think I was sending a religious card since St. Patrick’s Day in my hometown, Cleveland, Ohio, is a combination of Mardi Gras / Welcome Spring / Party. I’ve used my St. Patrick’s Day postcards to tell people about our traditions, not say, “You should become Catholic.”

4 Likes

Here it’s Marianpäivä, Maria’s day, I think last year I wrote something about it, and the receiver was surprised it’s here too, as we are not catholic country. I thought it’s mainly a spring market place historic day :slight_smile: but a Finnish Postcrosser educated me, it’s the day Mary get to knew she is expecting a baby.

1 Like

Muslim is forbidden from eating animal that do not have a neck. Pig do not have neck. Also the Muslim are not allowed to consume or use any part of the pig and all products that could have ingredients originated from pig.

Pig is haram (in Malay). It means pig is “unclean”.

2 Likes

Here in New York, St. Patrick’s Day is primarily a celebration of Irish-American heritage (and a great excuse to get out and have some drinks with friends). :shamrock:

4 Likes

But does that mean that they are opposed to pigs existing?

1 Like

I recognize this is off topic, but also very interesting :sweat_smile: Does it mean muslims also don’t eat fish and other sea food?

3 Likes

Today is Gertrude’s Day in Latvia. You must not bring home anything from nature - neither branches nor flowers, otherwise there will be snakes in the house in the summer (and the same will not be allowed on Maundy Thursday). It is difficult to say how much comes from a certain faith, how much - simply from tradition. And the question is whether all modern Latvians are aware of it at all. Another question is whether we have taken it from the Germans.
Can I tell you that? Doesn’t that offend someone’s feelings of infidelity?

I’m so off topically interested too.
I even think pigs have a neck.
Is there a translation/word confusion?

Never heard the neck thing before, interesting!