Have a yarn

Mm, my local are usually nice, at least - I give them the benefit of the doubt bc it’s a verrry small LPO and a lot of the staff are on the older side.

That said, I do think I’ll avoid handing letters/postcards in to them from now on, unless I need to buy the stamps beforehand. Red post box outside it is!

1 Like

I am sure they are nice people. Apparently they are missing this piece of information…

I’ve definitely experienced this too and I think it’s a common experience dealing with LPOs in particular.

We’ve all encountered staff who don’t know the correct rates, don’t know you can use domestic stamps +10% for international, and staff who don’t recognize older stamps and therefore think they’re invalid or fraudulent.

So frustrating and it’s sometimes very hard to have the discussion with them without being passive aggressive and “WeLL aCtUaLly” with them when they’re the expert and I’m a rando customer.

1 Like

and for the very first time in 16 years i am blocked from sending postcards

" The Postcrossing system detected that most of your postcards to China have expired. This is affecting all its receivers who are owed a postcard from you.

Due to the unusual amount of expired postcards, your account is temporarily blocked from requesting more addresses until this issue is fixed.

Our system will automatically unblock your account when the number of expired postcards returns to a normal level.

[id numbers/ details]

If you have already sent postcards to all the addresses above, all you need to do now is wait until some of them arrive and then you can send more postcards."

i currently have 10 cards travelling to china - as of yesterday 7 are expired

my average travel to china is 46 days all time - last year 2022 it was 121 days and prepandemic 2019 it was 46 days

so for 7 of 10 to china i have been blocked but not in the midst of the pandemic when i had over 100 expired cards

4 of those 7 (to china) have not registered cards since may - and the algorithm automatically asuumes i am yet to send my cards - seriously - why would i wait to send cards to places like china when i know they’ll take months to arrive

so i guess i’ll be waiting another 60 days before i can send anything - lucky for me they cannot count the dozens which have fallen off the travelling list @ 366 days …

i am so over expired cards …worldwide…

:rage:

5 Likes

I really do feel for you.
It’s clearly not your fault.
Everybody sedning cards from Australia knows that China is a difficult place to send cards to.
I have two expired cards and both of them are sent to China

1 Like

Hey Krystiina,

This is bad news! I’m sorry to read this…and surprised because I thought mail to China was still something of a problem…so this would be taken into account.

Maybe comment in this thread:

…so that if it’s happening a lot someone might do something about it?

Hope you get some registered soon.
I’m sitting on one 60+ expired to China, but the person only registers all their incoming once a month…and mine wasn’t registered at the end of June…so I’ve gotta wait until end of July :weary:.

1 Like

Sooo I’m officially one of you all!! I arrived in Australia yesterday, and I’ve really been enjoying it so far. I think I’ve done a good job at warding off jet lag, but then again it’s 5am and I’m wide awake, so who knows. I think I’ll send my first Australian official postcards today! What a way to celebrate my new 50 cards sent number​:tada::kangaroo:

8 Likes

Welcome to Australia!
Stay safe and have a great time. :kangaroo: :four_leaf_clover:
It is a great country with so much to see.

1 Like

Welcome to Oz!!

I’m sorry about the poopy weather we’ve thrown on today. At least you had some sunshine yesterday. I think it’ll come out again later today!

If you need any local advice, I’m happy to try and help. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Welcome to Aus!! Depending on where you are, melb. is set to have a meet in August so if you’ll be around for that have a squizz at the australia meetup part of the forums :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone! Very excited to be here :smiley: :kangaroo:

Welcome. What area are you at and what are your plans?

It seems to me that Australia Post are not making as many prepaid postcards anymore…thoughts

My local still has a lot, but it seems as though they’re not making too many new designs as of now which is a real shame :frowning: I actually had one of the staff bring out a whole box (!!) the other night, I just casually asked what designs, but they were all that photo style of prepaid cards that they have on the website. I still buy and send them off because they’re cheaper, but it would be nice if they did other styles :frowning:

1 Like

You might be right, aside from Aussie animals it seems the range is less extensive than it used to be. I thought the prepaid from the recent eclipse release was so gorgeous and I bought a handful straight away (and already sent them all :sweat_smile:). But I’m glad I got some when I did because it has already disappeared from the website, even though the maxis and stamps are still available. I hope this doesn’t become a regular occurrence for new designs.

1 Like

The maxicards for the Solar Eclipse are currently out of stock. I noticed when I was browsing the site yesterday. I was surprised, I didn’t think they’d be so popular! And I’m not sure if they’ll get any more.

It’s not just us Postcrossers who are being dudded by Aus Post.
Recently I spent a weekend in Sydney and I bought three domestic postcards at Circular Quay and send them to friends. The first arrived in Griffith TWO WEEKS after putting them in the Big Red Box. The two to Perth still have not been delivered.

3 Likes

I wonder what prompts them to remove an item from the website completely, rather than list it as out of stock?

1 Like

I wonder the same thing!

I’ve never seen maxicards re-stocked in the two years I’ve been looking, I don’t think…except maybe in the case of Philips ‘In Memoriam’…I think they added more of those. Or maybe they just found a random box somewhere.

Maybe they wait and POs return excess stock which they can then sell online. I really don’t know.

Well I think its pretty poor form if they don’t print some more as the withdrawal date is not until Oct 31. They should print enough to have some in stock until close to that date. People order from overseas as well. I ordered 2 of the postcards of the purple one to see if I liked them before I bought more and within days they were gone from the website never to be seen again.
The only good thing is A Post does release a steady stream of cards I like so I just order something else.

3 Likes