Harenberg calender postcards - yes or no?

I just wanted to add that before reading this thread I wasn’t aware that those lovely cards that I received from time to time came from calendars.
After reading this thread, I bought a TON of old beautiful Harenberg calendars on Amazon (which I think I’m going to keep for my collections) for a very cheap price, so thank you all for giving me a good reason to buy more postcards, I needed one :grin:

11 Likes

The funny thing (to me) is that when I get “no Harenburg” profiles I usually (yes, intentionally) try to find some OTHER calendar card that fits the person’s profile. Almost all of these calendar cards use basically the same size and stock and have the perforations on one side (which of course you can trim off yourself). And almost always they are enthusiastically received and I don’t remember ever having someone just saying “why did you send me a calendar card” or something blah like just “thanks for the card” in response. So why this Harenburg-hating? I have no idea…

2 Likes

…i would really Not say they are almost For free… When buying to The normal price, it is 16,99€.

That amount of Money Has to be paid. When using all cards - That makes 0,32€ which For one Card Sounds nice - but Not almost free…
also it is a bunch of Money that some people don’t want to pay with one buy. Maybe Not all cards find someone they can be send to. That Kind of makes The cards actually sent kind of more expensive.
Certainly they can become Cheaper later in The year. My fault i can’t wait and buy Them before The year starts…

In The USA you get 4 Postcards For 1$ or even 5 For 1$ ( i heared of 6 for 1$, but that i have never Seen myself) that is all definatly cheaper than a Harenberg Card…
I would still Not say they are almost For free…
:pensive:

3 Likes

Well, for me it is almost free (nothing wrong with the cards being cheap, I didn’t mean it as a bad thing.) Compared to the around 1,60 € a postcard cost here, 0,32 € for one card is like nothing (+ you get the calendar, which I don’t, even if I buy 53 cards :slight_smile: )

Of course you don’t have to agree. All this depends on how much you can spend, and what sums you are used to pay. From my point of view they are almost free, or at least ridiculously cheap, especially if you don’t pay the full price.

OK :slight_smile:
I do pay The full price (as i can’t wait) and don’t use The calender As i Take it apart way before… but certainly The opportunity would be given.

I know The 100 Postcards boxes are way cheaper in The USA A) As they are Here B)
and as a Harenberg calender and now i know they were recently For Just 5$ - 5$ For 100 Postcards and people get to keep The nice Box…
I personally find myself not Appreciating those cards much anymore…

That is my comparison i do. I Had that in my mind a couple of weeks ago already.

People do write ‘no Harenberg’ but send those “cheap” - almost For free :rofl: from 100 Postcard boxes… But there too: Not everybody bought Then so cheap.

Yes, but I’ve seen “no card from boxes” too, and no from postcard books. I don’t know the reason.
The card from boxes often are little stronger than Harenberg calendar cards, but also a little smaller than the standard postcard. Some do like to have a certain size.

I don’t think the cheapness would be the reason for not wanting Harenberg card, or card from a box.
Maybe the thinness?

And, the quality of the expensive cards is not always perfect either :slight_smile: but then there are free cards with very good quality, so price doesn’t tell everything.

To the original question of this topic: for me, yes. Nothing against calendar cards, or box cards, postcard book cards, free cards…for me it does not give any extra value if the card is costly.

0.32 euro is the standard price I pay for any postcard, sometimes even less (in normal shops or online). So for me Harenberg cards aren’t for free :wink:

I didn’t write they are free, but almost free. With 0,30 euros what can you buy? Not even a pack of oat meal here. But in some countries you get a beautiful postcard, life isn’t fair :weary:
(In reality, I think this has something to do with how we tax our products?)

And yes, I know in many countries postcards cost next to nothing.
Maybe that’s how people can afford having a stash of thousands of cards :slight_smile:
I’ve ordered from Postallove, and for me it’s almost dream cheap :smiley: how is it possible to make them so cheap, I can’t know. And our card with many times that price, are not any better, actually I recently returned the card to the shop, because they had small dots in the edge (almost like tear edge), and yesterday I bought cards that look like the cutting blade is dull or the edge is serrated.

I try to add the picture of it here:

So how is this not off topic :slight_smile: : I don’t believe the cheapness has anything to do with why someone doesn’t want a certain card. Because price and quality don’t go hand in hand.

(Edit: the card is the brown one and the problem is hard to see, but it’s “dusty”, and not a clean cut.)

((How I wish someone not postcrosser ends up reading this and thinks I’m nuts :innocent: ))

1 Like

Steamed rice with sauteed vegetables :smiley:

Sorry for out of topic :smiley:

4 Likes

:airplane:

1 Like

Harenberg calender postcards are thinner.
I don’t mind receiving them, but I have to admit I am not crazy about them either.
If I were to send them, I would cut off the edge and make them straight.
This is not difficult at all with a decent cutter knife and a ruler :wink:

They are thinner than Heye calendars for example… and they have this white border (some people don’t like it).

OK, @Cassiopheia you made me curious so I hauled out my calipers and measured calendar cards also against some other. You are right, the Harenbergs are thinner, but not by so much!

Here are my results(my sample size is small, I just measured one card of each type, so please take this as just a fun exercise, not a scientific study!) :grinning:

Card Thickness Comparison
Piece of typing paper - 0.10mm
Free “Postcard” monthly horoscope calendar from the pharmacy - 0.12mm
Cannon “Selphy” Photo Paper “Postcard” - 0,19mm
Harenberg “Literary” Calendar - 0.30mm
Rahmelverlag Tourist Postcard (bought individually in stores) - 0,30mm
Heye “Meerschweinchen” (Guinea Pig) Calendar - 0.34mm
GROH “Zitat” (Quotes) Calendar - 0,35mm
Pattloch Verlag “Zitat” (Quotes) Calendar - 0.37mm
Anaconda Postcard Book - 0.37mm
Schöning Verlag Tourist Postcard (bought individually in stores) - 0.45mm
MOO “Self-Printed” Postcard - 0.45mm
Ladybird / Puffin Postcard Box - 0.50mm

So I have to say “yes…maybe” to the argument that the Harenberg calendar cards are thinner, because while yes, they are the thinnest of the purchased calendar cards I have, they are just as thick as some individually bought “normal” tourist cards and really not that far off the other calendar cards.

It does make me feel good about using MOO when I print my own cards, though!

4 Likes

See…at least Last year i could buy a Pack of 500g oats Here For The exact price :wink:

I would Not Like it beeing cut…
(Perforation Off, yes. Border gone, No!)
I Like The Border. It Looks nice and Most important: it usually has The information What The Card Shows. What City, What building, What Kind of bird, etc

Yes, I know Germany is in many ways cheaper than Finland. (And there are even cheaper places than Germany, I don’t want to go so far off topic.) So you have cheaper food and almost free postcards, even cheap postage. Please don’t kill my morning :cry:. Just recently I got a postcard where the sender was still thinking who buys fast food in Finland, when it is as expensive as a meal in a normal restaurant.

My point was, Harenberg cards are cheap, almost free, which is nice for the sender, but probably not the reason why someones don’t like it. Maybe if people buy lots of them, send and receive within their own country, they get a lot of these, and it might get boring? Plus the thinness.

If you cut off the perforation, the (upper) border still exists, it’s only a bit smaller than the lower one.
No information will be lost by cutting, because informations are all on the lower border.

Yes. That’s good. But i understood all sides off. That would Not be OK. I think.
…Although i was thinking of it when i Had The perfect Picture on The Card but The Person wanted Standard Size…but maybe/probably The Person would Not Like i Cut The Card in all sides.
I went for Not so great Fitting Picture/Card but therefore Standard Size…

I meant the perforation, I don’t mind the white border :wink: