Harenberg calender postcards - yes or no?

Huh, unsure if I’ve ever received one of these but going by the pictures that I saw they look quite nice, so I’d probably gladly receive one of these. The only cards I’ve ever been disappointed about receiving are cards that give me the feeling that no care was put into them, like a card where someone didn’t write something on it or only stuck down a printed message saying: ‘happy postcrossing’

2 Likes

I have never received a card from this calendar with a cut-out perforation but it would be nice to get some :slight_smile: What a pity they just don’t sell them “unconnected” in the same package. Or maybe it wouldn’t be the same then? :wink:
As many things have been said, hm when such a topic appeared already… maybe I will write something strange - but I was always fascinated and curious how such a calendar looks inside / after opening / in reality, but I could never find photos and I didn’t have a chance to hold it in my hands. Please don’t ask me why this interests me because I don’t know myself :smile: I only know it’s a curiosity for me for years.

1 Like

This is how they look. The lower part is the postcard.

14 Likes

Oh, wow! Thank you Hanna! I imagined it in many different ways, but I hadn’t thought of something like that. Yay, my eternal mystery has been solved, nochmals vielen Dank :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, I’d never heard of these. I don’t know if I’ve received any, I’ll keep an eye out in the future.

They seem pretty nice, I wouldn’t care if they were from another country than the one sent but I know that’s a big deal to a lot of people. I would like it best if it was somewhere the person had been to, but either way it doesn’t matter all that much to me.

3 Likes

Yes you have received many of them :slight_smile: For example:

2 Likes

I agree totally what you all wrote. The pictures are very nice and I like to receive them and I send them when it matches with the profile of the person. I have two types from the last year, one was a cat calendar of my daughter and the one with books, that I really love. On my wish list for Christmas is another one for the next year… I really hope they will one day have one with doors of houses and historical buildings…

1 Like

I like these cards much, I even have a whole collection with mountain views, because I love mountains and have it in my wish list.

1 Like

I love the Harenberg calendars - I think the images are so much nicer than most tourist cards that I can find. This year, I couldn‘t resist and bought four of them on sale in February - now I have too many cards :wink: and I told myself that I would only get one for next year, but I‘m not sure if I will be able to resist…

4 Likes

What do you mean by “value of a card”?
I do like the Harenberg calenders on my desk, because I, too, like the motives, but I do not like them as postcards, because in my opinion they are too thin to be called “quality postcards”.
And hence, I have used them as postcards only in cases when I saw them on the favs wall of postcrossers. And even in those cases, I always sent a second card to compensate for the - in my eyes - “lower quality”.

Here is an offer for all of you who like them as postcards: I have many left from the calendars of the last couple of years and am happy to give them away. Since I will not have much time up to the end of this year, I would prefer to send them unwritten in little packages of seven cards each. That would make about ten envelopes.
Let me know, of you like an envelope with seven cards.

8 Likes

To be honest, I never noticed they were thinner than other cards. I have certainly received many flimsier cards than the ones from Harenberg.

I have seen them mentioned in “don’t send me” lists and wondered what the issue might be, then I was told it was the thickness. The perforated edge doesn’t bother me in the slightest, I would much rather receive the card with the complete white frame. I have always thought they were good quality postcards with nice views and if I were a German postcrosser I would use them often :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I will just say that I know exactly what you mean, as for me I also have always noticed that they are thinner than other cards and this is the fact. Unfortunately because of that very often they come damaged. Whether their thinness it is bad or good - I will not comment, anyway that does not detract from the fact that they are beautiful and everyone has the right to have their opinion, so I understand you :wink:

I think I have sent some thousands Harenberg cards so far, and I have never been told by a receiver that the card was damaged.

2 Likes

Hihi so I’m unlucky :smile: By the way, I never say when registering to the user that the card was damaged :open_mouth: and I got tons of them, not only from the calendar.

1 Like

I have also sent many of these cards and have never received a complaint about damaged ones.
Conversely, I cannot remember I ever have received a damaged one. This can of course happen at any time. But this also applies to any other postcard.

@all: By the way, did you know that (at least in Germany) the sorting machines also have problems with cards that are too thick?

For me these cards are as good as any other postcard. Though I have a big list on my profile I’m really not picky. If someone sends me an ad card with a cute cat I will love this card the same way as I will love a Tausendschoen card.

4 Likes

I think I’ve faved quite a lot of these cards and received some without realizing they came from a calendar? Nevertheless I just find them really pretty. The quality of the pictures is stunning.

3 Likes

I find the photography fantastic, but am amused by how they make the world look totally unpopulated. I have one of a fairly large Cdn city – with no people;-)
I am sorry that there isn’t a publisher in North America that does postcard calendars. I’d be interested in obtaining some blank ones of Canada: if anyone has an old calendar and would like to swap, get in touch!

There are some old Harenberg calendars showing Canada on eBay Germany for a bargain. But I fear it will be three times the price to send them to Canada.

Thanks – I will look this up!

That’s a very generous offer and I would like to recieve some cards. I’d be happy to send you something in return.

I like the Harenberg cards and don’t think they have a poorer quality than other cards. I always cut the perforated edge before sending them by using a metal ruler and a cutter.
First I was determined to send cards of Germany or animals only but when I found other beautiful calenders for a real bargain I just couldn’t resist :blush:
Of course I only send “foreign” cards when the profile doesn’t state that it’s unwanted.

1 Like