Hard to Please?

But guys, why do ppl become so voracious for postcards, exchanging thousands of them? If you go slow and very carefully chose each one, chances are that you’ll be happier and more appreciative (-ated) and you won’t need a lot of house space for them

2 Likes

Is it? It was actually a long-term Postcrosser who suggested me to reach out to other Postcrossers through private message because a lot of Postcrossers don’t follow the forum, or they may follow the forum on regular basis but missed the particular post for whatever reason. I try to message those who are interested in direct swamp first, but for some rare countries where there were only a handful of members, I did message someone who’s last seen 7 or 8 years ago … May someone from the administration team clarify on this matter?

Who says people who have receiced many cards are not apreciative? And why should one not send many cards and receive many cards if they like to do so?

I admit, I have received cards I did not like at all. An ad card for a humanitary aid organisation showing a starving child for example was sent to me with no message at all other than happy postcrossing. Why whould I keep this one? You can never please everyone and the effort and love one takes to send a postcard does not guarantee that the sender of the card you will receive puts the same effort and love into a card.

Also you can go slow and not send out many cards but they will add up over the years. This is unavoidable unless you stop when you received as many cards as you are willing or able to store. But why give up such a lovely hobby that you enjoy even after many years of doing it?

8 Likes

@Robinchen Valid points

1 Like

I was on holiday last week, bringing along a few non-tourist cards for those who say they’d rather not get them. However, I drew a person like that with a list of specific series/topics that I could never have matched even at home with all of my card inventory. So, I did the best I could hoping for a polite Thank You and we both move on.

5 Likes

A very honest and personal reply. Good for you. :innocent:

1 Like

a question for people who don’t like tourist cards — are you ok with them from rare countries?

we are traveling somewhere with only tourist cards available and got some addresses with profiles requesting no tourist cards. we know it’s ok to send them anyway but would those people prefer something else instead like a modified greeting card or something?

Yes, I am happy with them. And of course, if someone is in a big postcrossing country and that’s all they have, I’m okay with that too. Because, after all, they kept their side of the bargain and sent me a postcard, which I’m thrilled about.

7 Likes

I don’t like tourist cards but I’m still ok with them from any country. As long as the card is chosen for me and written for me I’m good.

5 Likes

I don’t love tourist cards but I’ll love any card you put thought into. Personally, I read people’s profiles and try to connect when I send a card. I’m always thrilled when I can tell someone did the same for me.

If you aren’t one who loves to write a lot, maybe use some cool stamps, decorations, or if you’re an artist express yourself that way? (I can’t draw worth a lick, if I were to get a card with amazing personal artwork, I’d be totally excited)

I guess what I’m saying is any card is special, to me, if I can tell you put some effort into it.

3 Likes

Same here! If they have a lengthy message, then my received/thank you message is similar because I appreciate the time taken. Short messages (or just a Happy Postcrossing) gets a simple thank you. I match energy!

As for the OP, I send what I think they’ll like, I avoid dislikes, but I don’t send unwritten cards in envelopes. You miss the fun of a special message and seeing peoples handwriting - which is one of my favorite parts. :smiling_face:

7 Likes

I just recently got a profile that was full of Do nots. Do not send animals do not send replications of art do not send US round international postage stamps, and the list went on and on

I just picked out a card that was may be a possible like, but I doubt it and I literally started my post card with what you have a lot of do not on your profile

I admit I was really irritated but I did what I was supposed to do when I sent him a card

9 Likes

Preferences are preferences…everyone has their individual ones however they are likes not a necessity. I just ask for no ad cards! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’m grateful when someone does indeed look at my preferences and sends me something beautiful of my liking…

5 Likes

I was tempted recently to start a card message with “Sorry if you’re disappointed, but this is the best I can do …”

7 Likes

I think some people do write that in their messages, because I see profiles that say “do not apologize if you don’t have these cards.”

5 Likes

Reminds me of this interesting topic: Global Postcard Stamp Reactions

2 Likes

It would not have bothered me if he wrote it in a more positive, less demanding manner. Perhaps, “I really love stamps, if possible please use interesting ones.” Or something to that effect. His profile was more like a bunch of orders / do not do this do not do that.

I don’t even have those international stamps anymore. But to ge honest I was tempted to go buy one :joy::joy::joy:

11 Likes

I don’t like tourist cards, and it doesn’t matter which country they are from, but I appreciate the message and also I realize others are not here on the planet to fulfill my every wish ))
Also I think it would be nice if the message was somehow connected to the card, like you’ve seen that view and what you thought of it, something to make it more relatable

12 Likes

Oh golly, please dont write that! Instead use a positive statement such as “I’m having a fun vacation and chose this card to show you some of the great places we are seeing…” etc

Nobody wants to read a debbie downer message on a card

2 Likes

I’ve seen so many of these types of accounts, i think i know who you’re referring to haha

1 Like