Hard to Please?

You can always edit your postings, it’s the pencil-symbol down right

Doesn’"t matter, I enjoy writing and receiving messages. Also adding nice stamps.ĺ

For me it doesn’t work that way.

I got some addresses like that too.
One of them was even telling that as she doesn’t want to carry many postcards with her, she only keeps the ones she likes. So basically the rest is rubbish :slight_smile:

I wish I was that direct in my life too :smiley:

2 Likes

I once sent a card that existed on someone’s wishlist when I was travelling but didn’t turn on the travel mode (I always carry some cards with me.). The card is part of a popular series of my country of residence and shows a bit of the city. When that card reached the recipient, the only “thank you” message was that the person was very disappointed by the wrong country ID and told me that I SHOULD turn on travel mode whenever travel. In a few minutes, this person updated their “wishlist” saying this series of cards should ONLY be sent from their country of origin.

What I want to say is, some users just get spoiled when they start to get pleased and have their personal collections enriched. Personally speaking, as a sender, feeling “obliged” to please the recipient is a no-do. That’s neither what Postcrossing suggests to do. The wish can be endless and sometimes it still doesn’t end up well despite your extra effort. I don’t have a huge storage of cards. If I happen to have a card that’s mentioned by the recipient, then it’s a good match and we’re lucky.

9 Likes

I always try to please the recipient, but sometimes the demands are too difficult. If I don’t have anything they ask for, I look at his wall of favorites, if I still can’t, I try to send something similar to his favorites. When I’ve nothing, but nothing, which is already rare, I send what seems interesting to me.
I’m sorry but you can’t be that picky.
It’s okay to ask because it helps to know what to send. Fortunately most of the people on their profile explain that they are just preferences and that any postcard is welcome.
But an unwritten postcard? what a pity! It is the saddest thing that I can receive, no matter how beautiful this is

3 Likes

Most postcrossers are so thankful and kind, however i had a few tell me these things
I didn’t sent the stickers right and they were ruined.
don’t send a certain kind of postcard or must be in a envelope or no envelope ….etc
I’m thankful for the time people take to send me a postcard and yes i put my likes on my profile
However I’m blessed for any …it makes me so happy
Ty for all the sweet kind postcrossers and for the picky ones I’m sending one of my virtual hugs and smiles

3 Likes

From my perspective, I believe some postcrossers get picky, including me, with what they want to get in return is simply because they wanna get something that can represent the country that the sender from. I swap postcards with people from all over the world is just because I want to learn more about their cultures or countries via the postcards they send to me.I think that’s a possible reason.

4 Likes

There’s a very thin line between being “picky” and making demands in Postcrossing. But what is the context here?
Because you can be as picky as you want when making direct swaps, but on your official profile you can only state your preferences and people may or may not find a postcard that fits them.

It puts me off when I read a profile that’s pretty much consisting of guidelines on how to write a postcard. I respect wishlists, they give me a better view of what the person likes and I love finding the ‘perfect fit’ for someone, but drawing a picky profile makes me feel like I’m about to give an exam on how to write and send a postcard ‘properly’.

However, I am trying to not let picky people ruin the fun I have on Postcrossing and I advise you to do the same. :smiley:

13 Likes

This topic left me with a strong feeling that I was a one of the people you’re talking about.
Well, I explained in my PM why I ask LGBT+ cards in an envelope. I can do it again. It’s not a “picky” thing. I live in a house when we have one mail box for 5 flats. Every neighbour can see my cards. Is it really necessary to explain how people in Russia will behave themselves with me if they know I’m a part of LGBT community?
But I still want these cards. It is a really happiness to receive it and think that somewhere in another place people print and sell it legally. I am proud (and cowardly :laughing:) part of the community.
It all, I mean your post, seems like a judging. I hope I understood it incorrectly.
Hugs.

27 Likes

We’re all proud and cowardly about something, and sometimes the best we can do is to support our brothers and sisters and non-binary persons in whatever way we can. So I think asking for LGBT+ cards to be sent discreetly sounds fine.

On the other hand, I was recently given the address of someone whose profile wasn’t a wishlist but a long list of what they didn’t want: no maps, art cards, graphics of any kind, no animals, city views were OK but no multiview cards… the list went on. In the end I sent them something I liked with a note on the back explaining that I didn’t have anything that met all their criteria :expressionless:

15 Likes

I am so happy to get anything from anywhere. I am mystified by demands (unless they are practical or for privacy reasons).
When I come across a list of “Don’t send me this” and “I HATE that” and so on, the fun starts to dwindle. I begin to think of these demands as trophy seeking. Is that part of what postcrossing is about? I prefer the connections we make and honor whatever it is someone decides to send me.

5 Likes

Yes, I have had to do this as well.

1 Like

Yes. I’d rather see a long list of likes than “don’t send me -these-“ or “if you don’t have anything I like just send me the number and I’ll register it”.

At least with the list of likes I’m getting the vibe that postcrossing is an enjoyed thing and the person will still probably understand if my card isn’t on the list.

The excessive dislikes (like, I get if you’re afraid of snakes, obviously) and “don’t send” is just discouraging.

Edit: it can be extreme either way. “These are the only things I like and nothing else is welcome” can be bad, too.

6 Likes

Your request is not a picky list of demands.

4 Likes

I agree i try to please them but if I can’t they need to be understanding

2 Likes

I know that’s what gets me the demands
I wish some people were more thankful

1 Like

In your profile you do not mention that you like LGBTQIA+ cards in an envelope. Maybe you should write it there with the reason.

3 Likes

I forgot about it at all. Thank you for the suggestion!

2 Likes