Hard to Please?

This is more a positive reflection on you, I think! Pickiness is, after all, in the eye of the beholder.

I would say my ratio is more like 1 / 12. I draw 6 addresses a week, and I’d say every other week I pull one I consider “picky.” I wish I could be so generous as to have a 1-2 / 400 ratio of picky profiles…

1 Like

Of course pickyness is in the eye of the beholder. But the beholder can alter his point of viee and take the word wishlist literally as WISHlist. It is not an orderlist and we are not onlineshops - and we should not try to be!

7 Likes

I think it would be really sad to have a rate system but if they do something inappropriate they should be reported. The idea I got from the site is to list your tastes and if they can accommodate you it’s a plus but if they can’t it’s still nice to get a decent postcard with a message.

Same here, I treat all wishlists and suggestions as wishes and suggestions, not demands.

From my over 2400 sent cards, only 3 or 4 profiles were what I thought as picky or demanding (or I still remember them).
And from these, 2 were from the same person.

But, it might be, that also in normal life, if someone tells me that they wish me to do something, I interpret it so that I have also the choice to not fulfil their wish.

And, in Postcrossing we are equal (and this is one part of why I love this!). Why would someone think they can tell me what to do, or what I can’t do/send. It’s in fact a little funny to think someone trying to boss around other members.
I have read the rules, and in my understanding they are clear, and I follow them. That’s enough.

Very complaining or picky/demanding people I treat as children having a tantrum, it goes over. They can try to be little bosses, but they can’t be that for me. It takes a lot that I would let someone tell me what to do.

But, I like to read wishlists, and send a card that they might prefer, because why not :slight_smile: ?

I think, there might be some kind personal trait, who think a wish is more than a wish, and they think it is supposed to be followed. Maybe even too angry people previously in their life, who disguise orders in form of a wish, so the person gets confused when they actually can choose. But here, every one can :heart:.

10 Likes

I like frogs, you maybe not. Do you think, that’s will be wrong, if you will send a frog to me?

8 posts were split to a new topic: What are tourist cards

Send whatever you want :))) What they do with your card, is their thing. But it’s against the guidelines not to register it.

This is as heartbreaking to hear as it is understandable. :frowning_face: It’s difficult not to second guess yourself after reading complaints about what you thought you were doing “right” (and don’t worry; you are doing it right).

BUT DON’T GO! :sob: There is fun to be had on the Forum, and experiences to share, and nice people (like you) to meet. @anon80791886 started a wonderful topic that is the perfect antidote to any negativity. And this one is virtually impossible to top.

4 Likes

@PinkNoodle

Thank you for your kind words. I guess that I simply need to be a bit more selective about what I read.
I’ve had some wonderful experiences on Postcrossing. To me every card sent and received is a tiny connection that reminds me how wonderful and diverse this world is.
But I guess that Postcrossing is different things to different people, and some folks understanding and expectation is bound to be different to mine.

7 Likes

I love postcrossing but I would prefer to pick a card based on information about the individual shared on the profile rather than a list of requests. Sometimes I feel as though I’m completing a work assignment, being careful to complete everything correctly!!! And sometimes…I just don’t have a card on the list and I do the best I can.

8 Likes

Yeah, this exactly.

5 Likes

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.

Or maybe put it at the bottom of each profile.

I mean, I get that it’s the phrasing of the profile text itself that is an issue, but I remember being a newbie and after you’ve seen a couple of profiles then you start to think that is how things work. That it’s normal or even expected to have some sort of wishlist in your profile.

1 Like

I vaguely remember a similar feeling when I first joined, not quite about feeling wrong but about learning to worry about things I would have never thought of - for examples, about sending postcards from a different country than the one where your live, I would never have thought that this would be so important to so many people. And other wishes like that, I simply joined thinking that you could send anything (my very first card was sent from a holiday, and travel mode didn’t exist then!), and from this point of view joining the forum felt a bit like seeing things with less “innocent” eyes.

4 Likes

Oh! I think this is such a good idea.

You write your profile the way you want it. When people draw your address (or maybe just at the end of the main profile), there is a standard clear notice that says “Remember! This is only a suggestion. You are free to send any postcard you choose, and it must be registered when received.” or something like that.

3 Likes

Yes, you don’t realize that until you’ve been here for a bit. For Christmas my husband wanted to get me cards from other countries for me to send, and I had to explain to him that people didn’t like that (unless I used them in the “not your country” tag).

Similarly, I explained Postcrossing to a coworker and she gave me a photo of her wedding venue (in Burundi, very lovely and traditional) and asked me to send it as a postcard. But again, most people wouldn’t accept a photo glued to cardboard - or by itself -, so I didn’t send it :shushing_face:

Sure some people prefer that, but tons of people don’t. I prefer shorter profiles, so are you going to change your profile every time you read that someone likes something different? There will always be someone who would prefer something else, so just do whatever you want. People worry way too much about what other people think.

7 Likes

Yes, this is the sort of things you read on the forum that you wouldn’t know otherwise. But I personally don’t care. I’m not going to stop sending the cards I have just because I read on the forum that some people don’t like that. Of course, it is different if the person mentions it in their profile that they would prefer not to receive cards from other countries, but if they don’t, I’m not going to just assume that they don’t like it just because I have read on the forum that some people don’t like it.

3 Likes

This is something I would never think off. Especially for drawing cards I have so many from all over the world, simply cause I personally think they are beautiful :heart_eyes_cat: I send a card because I think it fits to the profile I drew, never thinking about where the card is originally from XD on the other hand I’m happy that I have those exotic cards and don’t need to send “boring” once :tipping_hand_woman:

1 Like

Exactly. That’s why I shamelessly send out my cards from other countries unless the profile asks me not to (I respect that!).

Why shamelessly? You should not have that feeling though.