Hard to Please?

When I send a card, I like to send one that I like and that the addressee likes, so I am pleased to read about the cards (s)he likes in the profile. To forbid wishlists would take much of the fun!

7 Likes

I agree. A large part of the enjoyment for me is finding, or trying to find, the right card. Itā€™s fun, something like a scavenger hunt :grinning:

I donā€™t mind if someone sends me something entirely different from my suggestions - they are often lovely surprises.

16 Likes

I like reading books and I like to read book recommendations on the card, but books on the picture side are not very interesting to me.
So according to you I should not mention reading to aboid to get many cards with books. Sorry, no! I rather mention what I like to see on the picture side independently from what else I am interested in. You are welcome to check and comment whether my profile is hard to please.

3 Likes

I admit that when reading such a profile, my first reaction is wanting to send them a card they absolutely do not want, just to be perverse.

Then the moment passes and I see what Iā€™ve got that will hopefully please them. I havenā€™t had an official Postcrossing request for a blank card. Yet.

6 Likes

Sure, mention it, but donā€™t be surprised if you get cards on the theme.

Most of the super picky and rude people seem to want single view photo cards of my location. With the pandemic and all, sadly I have none. But I do have these 80s cards of Welsh villages Iā€™ve never been toā€¦

1 Like

I only want postcards with a cow looking through the window while is snowing rainbows

45 Likes

I would like that one! :+1:t2:

4 Likes

This just made me look back at my profile, in which I have tried to walk the line of making it clear Iā€™m up for anything but also hopefully giving ideas to people who are looking for them:

As for postcards, I like architecture, scenery, aerial views ā€¦ anything at all.
The cards donā€™t have to be tourist ones, but thatā€™s fine if they are. I would also love to see postcards youā€™ve bought on a vacation somewhere. I enjoy art (whether from a museum or quirky/cute art), animals (love all kinds of animals, especially wolves, foxes, bats, dogs, cats, hedgehogs), something to do with books, communist-era posters/propaganda ā€¦ seriously, whatever you want to send. This includes handmade! I love sending people mail art and Iā€™d love to receive some, too!

I feel like maybe giving an area on profiles which says something like ā€œmy favorite types of postcardsā€ and has a very limited number of characters? And is optional to fill out. Then the rest of the profile should be about you and not your postcard desires.

Edited to say, Iā€™m not trying to hold myself up as a paragon :laughing: Just thinking out loud here.

3 Likes

Yes! I may edit my profile soonā€¦ this card is amazing. Win! :rofl:

How come is that super picky and rude?
For me this is the easiest wish. If you check Easy Wishes Tag, most of participants will include ā€œsingle view of your locationā€.
Out of 180 addresses I have drawn (included traveling and cards disappeared from system after 1 year), I only got 1 rude profile. She wrote that she will not registered card not in the size of 10 x 15. This is clearly picky and rude because cards in every country can be in different size.

10 Likes

Okay, first I admit I only read half the comments of the last 24h ā€¦ too specific.

@meiadeleite & co:

• even when you see the texts of recipients as problem, a strong reminder for senders that they can send whatever they want might weaken the pressure they feel. Esp. the newbies quitting. A bold ā€˜please remember: you are free and welcome to send any postcard you have/likeā€™ at every adress one draws
  • the forum still is a minority area. Talk more about this on the blog of the mainpage. Once a month or so. Some series of ā€˜behind the scenesā€™

@ rest of us: maybe we should remember that the huge majority of profiles is ā€˜doable standardā€™, is friendly and easy and and and ā€¦ Canā€™t remember the already famous ā€˜cow as a photo looking through a window with rainbows snowing in the backā€™ for a long long time. But here we are debating whether mentioning an interest in Sci-Fi is an off-putting demand (!!exaggeration!!).
We will never reach 110% perfect worded profiles for 120,000 individuals with their own personal expectations and daily moods. Letā€™s focus on the challenges ana mentioned - disappointed newbies - not on a catalouge of allowed words.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s rude and against the rules. Absolutely.
Though I totally understand why she prefers this size.
Also for me it was a big problem to store cards much larger than the standard size.
Albums: no way
Standard Boxes: just if I waste space

So I kindly ask if itā€™s possible to send me cards in standard size or smaller. It didnā€™t work. Infact I received more than ever :sweat_smile:
So I removed this sentence and re-organized my collections. I now use postal boxes. Not only it have space for each and every size, itā€™s also more suitable to store in the loft or basement when itā€™s full. So I am satisfied and the senders donā€™t have to think about any size.

1 Like

That in itself is not rude. It just tends to be the most popular and often the only wish these picky profiles have. If your only wish is a view card showing my area you are rude.

1 Like

Standard A6 cards are 10,5 x 14,8 cm. So if I got someone so rude, I would be very tempted to trim off 0,2 cm from the long side and glue on a 0,5 cm strip of paper on the short side (using permanent glue, of course), and sending a message explaining my actions.

OK, that is just fantasy. In reality, I would report the Postcrosser before sending a thing, because saying that you will not register something that doesnā€™t meet your demands is not just rude, it is against the rules.

7 Likes

I think Iā€™ve been quite lucky so far. Everyone has been very nice and have had reasonable requests on their profiles. However, I did recently pull a profile of someone who has thousands of sent and received cards. I wouldnā€™t say their profile was rude at all, but was somewhat frustrating to read through. A lot of ā€œdonā€™t send this, please only send these kinds of cards.ā€ They also requested that senders look through their received postcards so they donā€™t receive duplicatesā€¦to look through 5000+ cards?? Really? I also understand that it can sometimes be difficult to understand tone through text, but their profile was soā€¦hm, yeahā€¦not fun to read through.

When someone is so picky, I end up sending one of my boring cards and donā€™t feel to need to decorate with stickers and washi tapes. I just write a very generic message, ā€œhello, hope you have a nice week, happy postcrossing.ā€

I feel like some people can easily get lost in all of this, especially when certain people have received thousands of cards and have been here for many years. I think itā€™s very unfortunate. Remember: Iā€™m sending YOU something that I spent MY money on. As receivers, I donā€™t think we are really in any position to be picky. I found that on here (and in life in general), being flexible and nice goes a loooong way!

12 Likes

You have written so much about newbies that could be shocked or disappointed by either an empty or a too specific profileā€¦

Well, I am a newbie, I read the rules and I understood that I may use the information in a profile to choose a card but I do not have to worry if I do not have a matching card. Thatā€™s quite easy, and there are enough reminders that I am not obliged to fulfill someoneā€™s wishes or demands. I still try to find something I think the other one might like. And if the profile is empty I take a card I would be happy to receive myself. It is not so complicated after all. :smiley:

What I definitely will not do is strolling through thousands of cards in somebodyā€™s ā€œfavoritesā€ to find a specific card they want.

27 Likes

No, the super picky and rude people exclude such cards at first and of course they write, that they do their utmost to fulfil the postcard wishes of their addressees and expect the same from their senders!

2 Likes

@meiadeleite
I guess that I am barely qualified to comment as I havenā€™t come across any of the really extreme profiles that have been described in this thread (in fact Iā€™m almost regretting joining the forum as I getting concerned that Iā€™m not fulfilling peopleā€™s wishes as closely as I should be).
However, your ā€˜detailingā€™ suggestion concerns me a little: I love the thought that I am communicating with folks all around the world whose first language may well not be English. Making the the profile more complex could put folks off, either writing theirs or reading mine, and therefore drive people away. I would hate to see this.

5 Likes

This is something I worry about a lot even without many boxes. Every time I edit my profile, I drop it into google translate and translate it to Russian and then from Russian to Estonian and Estonian to Japanese and so on. After many goes, I translate it back to English, and if something doesnā€™t make sense, I change it until it does. But, if there were categories, that might at least help with understanding what the different parts are for.

1 Like

@elanlei
Thatā€™s a great idea.
Mine was a lot less wordy until I read on one thread of the forum that people want to see longer profiles with more about the person they are writing to, but fewer words, fewer syllables, short sentences and less complex concepts are definitely easier for my ESL students, even the advanced ones.
As I said - Iā€™m almost regretting joining the forum , as I think I was less stressed Postcrosser before I started wondering about all of the things I could be doing wrong.

5 Likes