Hard to Please?

a question for people who don’t like tourist cards — are you ok with them from rare countries?

we are traveling somewhere with only tourist cards available and got some addresses with profiles requesting no tourist cards. we know it’s ok to send them anyway but would those people prefer something else instead like a modified greeting card or something?

Yes, I am happy with them. And of course, if someone is in a big postcrossing country and that’s all they have, I’m okay with that too. Because, after all, they kept their side of the bargain and sent me a postcard, which I’m thrilled about.

7 Likes

I don’t like tourist cards but I’m still ok with them from any country. As long as the card is chosen for me and written for me I’m good.

5 Likes

I don’t love tourist cards but I’ll love any card you put thought into. Personally, I read people’s profiles and try to connect when I send a card. I’m always thrilled when I can tell someone did the same for me.

If you aren’t one who loves to write a lot, maybe use some cool stamps, decorations, or if you’re an artist express yourself that way? (I can’t draw worth a lick, if I were to get a card with amazing personal artwork, I’d be totally excited)

I guess what I’m saying is any card is special, to me, if I can tell you put some effort into it.

3 Likes

Same here! If they have a lengthy message, then my received/thank you message is similar because I appreciate the time taken. Short messages (or just a Happy Postcrossing) gets a simple thank you. I match energy!

As for the OP, I send what I think they’ll like, I avoid dislikes, but I don’t send unwritten cards in envelopes. You miss the fun of a special message and seeing peoples handwriting - which is one of my favorite parts. :smiling_face:

7 Likes

I just recently got a profile that was full of Do nots. Do not send animals do not send replications of art do not send US round international postage stamps, and the list went on and on

I just picked out a card that was may be a possible like, but I doubt it and I literally started my post card with what you have a lot of do not on your profile

I admit I was really irritated but I did what I was supposed to do when I sent him a card

9 Likes

Preferences are preferences…everyone has their individual ones however they are likes not a necessity. I just ask for no ad cards! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’m grateful when someone does indeed look at my preferences and sends me something beautiful of my liking…

5 Likes

I was tempted recently to start a card message with “Sorry if you’re disappointed, but this is the best I can do …”

7 Likes

I think some people do write that in their messages, because I see profiles that say “do not apologize if you don’t have these cards.”

5 Likes

Reminds me of this interesting topic: Global Postcard Stamp Reactions

2 Likes

It would not have bothered me if he wrote it in a more positive, less demanding manner. Perhaps, “I really love stamps, if possible please use interesting ones.” Or something to that effect. His profile was more like a bunch of orders / do not do this do not do that.

I don’t even have those international stamps anymore. But to ge honest I was tempted to go buy one :joy::joy::joy:

11 Likes

I don’t like tourist cards, and it doesn’t matter which country they are from, but I appreciate the message and also I realize others are not here on the planet to fulfill my every wish ))
Also I think it would be nice if the message was somehow connected to the card, like you’ve seen that view and what you thought of it, something to make it more relatable

12 Likes

Oh golly, please dont write that! Instead use a positive statement such as “I’m having a fun vacation and chose this card to show you some of the great places we are seeing…” etc

Nobody wants to read a debbie downer message on a card

2 Likes

I’ve seen so many of these types of accounts, i think i know who you’re referring to haha

1 Like

I had drawn an address recently and the person said they didn’t want postage stamps on the postcard.
To meet her request I should have made an electronic label but that was more difficult than putting a nice stamp.
So I put just one stamp, whereas very often I like to play with different stamps and put a few together.
We’ll see if this person registers my card anyway.

4 Likes

I do look at a persons profile and try to find something, but not everyone is made of money and has an unlimited inventory lol. If it’s a swap and it’s a card I really like I’ll go out of my way to source a card for them. I personally love getting any postcards, it’s the excitement of getting them and looking at the stamps and writing! I hope I please people with what I send I do try my best!

9 Likes

What a weird wish! I have never even thought there might be people who actively dislike stamps. I wonder, could this be a language/translation issue? Or a problem with their local post office? Or perhaps they meant they want the card in an envelope? :thinking: Did they give any reason for this wish?

Well, it is amazing how different people and their wishes are. Everyday something new is revealed.

4 Likes

Yes, I would have thought they meant this. Then they can cut or save the stamp and postmark.

2 Likes

No, she doesn’t specify whether she wants an envelope or not.
She says she doesn’t like postage stamps, and she doesn’t like greetings cards either.

Could she mean, it doesn’t matter what postage stamp you use, and no need to use many or special ones (like some prefer)?

I wouldn’t know where to get a label instead of a stamp :smile:

Or also, as someone asked me to swap, but only if I could prove when I send, by using a printable stamp from a post office (shows date and time, apparently). I don’t know if there is such possibility here, because there is no post office, so I couldn’t swap. But why would someone need such proof of official card, I don’t know.

2 Likes