Handmade... Is this really a postcard?

I absolutely agree with you! It’s great when people appreciate things you’ve made
And yes, I am looking forward to see more of your mailart envelopes, so I’m glad you have an Instagram account. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I joined Postcrossing so that I would have a reason to paint. I paint postcards for my granddaughter (she was born at the beginning of COVID) and it was a great way to make contact, document life while in hibernation, mark her milestones and, of course, paint! I have to say, the Postcrossing recipients have been very gracious and complimentary of my cards. It’s really boosted my confidence! I think it’s wonderful seeing other members’ creativity.

10 Likes

I love hand made cards and envelopes, they are so much more interesting and they take more time and effort . If I occasionally get a piece of paper that I don’t want, so what? I’ve gotten lots more great hand made things than not. And, yes, I’d love to get one of yours, so creative!

2 Likes

Is it acceptable to make homemade postcards & send them? I’m having a hard time finding “non-touristy” postcards & I LOVE paper crafts. I think it would be fun to make special cards.

6 Likes

Oh YES Sherri! You’ve come to the right place:)

There are LOTS of topics on homemade postcards. Just type it into the search bar and have a l👀k.

Here is one of them

Happy :love_letter: making!

1 Like

Many Postcrossers welcome handmade cards, but you need to know that many don’t as well - they usually have this written on their profile.

If you’re looking for cards - there are quite a few online shops to check out here listed by country at this link here:

People also get boxes/books of postcards of a particular kind from places like Amazon or from actual brick & mortar bookstores.

1 Like

Thank you so much…Who’d a thunk that postcards were so interesting & fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

There are lots of tag games for handmade cards - Tag is just like the version we played as kids. Someone tags the person above them on the thread & sends them a handmade card & then gets tagged by someone else who sends them a handmade card. You give or get an address via private message here on the Forum. Have fun!

Here are some of these tags:

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/handmade-offer-tag/90596

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/handmade-postcard-tag-simple-easy-fun/7561

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/favourite-colour-tag-handmade-cards/1578

People also offer handmade cards to swap with other people & you can find those offers here:
https://community.postcrossing.com/c/trades-requests-offers/postcards/32

3 Likes

I think it’s okay to send homemade postcards. I love them, but not everyone does. BTW, be sure to read the profiles. Some people actually love touristy postcards as well. Some people don’t care what they get; other people are more particular. Do the best you can and just have fun!

2 Likes

Oh you definitely make cards or decorate them:)
Kindly check account preferences, mostly all appreciates handmade/decorated cards with special touch of sender:)

1 Like

I make all of mine and even the few who have stated they don’t like handmade cards have sent a lovely response back and popped it in their favourites. Enjoy!

4 Likes

As already mentioned - just read the profile carefully.
There are members who would like handmade cards.
Then send them one of your artworks!
We are always happy when we get a handmade card, because we like to see the creativity of others.
We also send our handicrafts to others. And have never heard anything negative.
But we can also understand if someone doesn’t want these cards.
This person then has other interests. Of course we respect that.
And it’s not bad if you always send the same tourist postcard.
The recipient is always someone else.

4 Likes

Folks tend to really choose sides on the handmade vs bought postcard debate. My own thoughts are , i have zero artistic talent. Like none. Couldn’t even win a bad art contest. I’m not crafty either. A homemade card , to me , is just as “real” as a bought card. Since i have zero talent, i’m always impressed by the creativeness of others. I look at a handmade card , and i think, “wow, this person expended all that creative energy, just to bring me, a complete stranger , a smile”. So a handmade card to me, is very real, and very cherished , as much as a traditional bought card , with time and effort spent on subject, and message . Is a homemade cake worse than one from a bakery? No, homemade cakes can be made by amazing cooks, or by average cooks. Either way, someone baked or bought you a cake, be happy for it! I also find food box cards interesting. But not for the product per se. Im impressed with how precise someone cuts the cardboard! and the messages are always interesting. So ive heard the debate " i spent money on a nice card for someone and they sent me homemade garbage" . I look at it as, i have no talent so i used money to buy a card, but wow, that person spent THEIR TIME, which could equal much more than the money spent on a traditonal card. and they spent their time , on me. So , if someone makes, say 15 dollars an hour and made you a card that took them 30 mins to make, well then, technically that card cost 7.50 dollars. much more than the store bought post card. Bottom line, im ok with handmade :slight_smile:

20 Likes

I was wondering the same thing as most postcards sold are only found in tourist information areas. NOW what if i found some beautiful cards bought them and TURNED them into a postcard, would that be allowed? Basically i would make rhe back of the card look like a proper postcard?

2 Likes

You can send cut up pieces of food packaging, anything is allowed. If you can stick a stamp and a message on it and put it in a postbox it’s a postcard.

3 Likes

Lol ok, i never thought that would pass! And here i was so worried. Thanks so much :blush:

1 Like

Ahhhh! This sounds FUUUN! :hugs: Tag me! Tag me!

2 Likes

It’s you who needs to tag the last person on those threads before someone else can tag you! :wink:

:green_heart::fox_face:

2 Likes

I was going to do this too :heart:. I even bought 3 cards…Buuut then, I was able to find a box of post cards at a local bookstore :books:

2 Likes

Where do I find the “TAG” threads? I’m so confused :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like