Gifts for Postman

[I hope this is the correct category.]

What are some things you’ve gifted to your post person? I’d like to give mine a Thank You for picking up way to many snail mail parcels on the regular.

8 Likes

Around Christmas my mail carrier either gets a bottle of wine or a small Stollen.

8 Likes

Unfortunately we never met our postman due to living in a many-storied building…
But I ones had a fortune to met mine unexpectedly, so I presented a chocolate box (Christmas style). It’s a common decision in Russia to present sweets. So, quite a neutral gift.

14 Likes

Our mailbox has the key to open it always on it (we live in a dead-end street). I stuck a note on the mailbox for the postman asking him to look inside. There he found a Christmas card with a personal message, a chocolate (this is Belgium after all) and a small banknote as some kind of fee. He rang the door to thank us in person. This is not common practice in Belgium, but I consider myself a special case for him and therefore I ought to treat him special too.

10 Likes

We made cookies and put them in a box in our mailbox.

7 Likes

I left some chocolates for my postperson during the early days of the pandemic. I put them in the mailbox and then stuck a note on the outside. I’m sure a nice card and some snacks are always appreciated. If you live somewhere cold, hand warmers or gloves probably would be nice in the winter.

6 Likes

Every few months I always give my mail carrier a small bag filled with snacks, a can of coffee, something they can easily carry or something they can eat during breaks (since they always deliver my mails near lunch time) sometimes I also slipped a thank you card and small amount of fee.

6 Likes

Once a week our family leaves a “surprise” in our mailbox for our Mail Carrier! Last week it was a chocolate bar flavoured milkshake, this week will be a nifty little zipper pull because “It’s cold out tide!” :snowflake:

He always leaves us a note to say THANKS! It’s fun for us all!

10 Likes

And may I tell you @brittanyjewell and those of you who do these acts of kindness towards your Letter Carrier, it is our most favourite part of the day :stars:(speaking on behalf of the Mailladies/Mailmen). When we arrive back at the Depot we happily show our coworkers what someone thoughtful did for us, as everyone oooh’s and ahhh’s!!

14 Likes

USA Residents

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Exec­utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

Source: USPS About

7 Likes

I’ve always wanted to give my Mail Carrier a little something over the holidays, but she goes on vacation and we have someone else during that time. This year, though, I thought oh! I could give her an Advent Calendar (chocolate, non-alcoholic). So I did that at the end of November. Yeah, it’s possible she has chocolate allergies or is diabetic or whatever, but she seemed to at least appreciate the gesture, so that is what I’ll do in the future, too.

(edit to add: In the U.S. I would also leave something in my mailbox as others in this thread do, but the way mailboxes here are, that is impossible.)

6 Likes

Several times I gave my post office staff and my postman chocolates and boxes of chocolates:)

4 Likes

By chance I meet the postman and the newspaper boy a few days before christmas, so I gave them a bag of homemade christmas cookies

3 Likes

I decided to leave a hand lettered card for our postal worker. My bestie suggested the Harry Potter receiving all the acceptance letters. This was given to her on the 14th. And today I left her a little care package with some snacks and a bottle of water.

I’m okay with my address showing in the picture…I think everyone in the forum has gotten it at least once already. :joy:

26 Likes

A long time ago, maybe a year or two ago, before my postman was replaced, I put a bottle of water in my mailbox. Well, it’s just a bottle of water, but you know, in China, because the postman’s task is only regarded as an obligation and will not specially thank a person, I am very embarrassed to put a bottle of water in the mailbox and attach a note. The postman received it and said thank you very much. I think this is really a good idea. We should learn from you, from all kinds of good habits, and thank the people around us for helping us. I think I will continue to thank the people around me in the future. Especially my hard-working postman.

9 Likes

A Dunkin’ Donuts or Starbucks gift card for my mail carrier. Everyone drinks coffee, right?

6 Likes

I have been horridly surprised by the answer before…but I like the idea.

On the downside, according to USPS “cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount.”

It’s pretty suckish, but we had a similar rule when I worked in finance regarding what we could and could not accept as far as gifts go.

That does suck! I figured it’s the perfect thing, small and useful. Now I’m paranoid about getting my guy fired. :frowning:

1 Like

Oh no! Don’t think that! Here’s the full statement:

1 Like

Has everyone seen @meiadeleite’s most recent article on the Postcrossing Blog?

Month of Letters + Mail Carrier Appreciation Day!

It’s definetly worth the read!

On your mark, get set, GO :dash:

4 Likes