General Meetup Discussions

Just caught this and looking at the meetup forum, it looks like you succeeded! I hope it goes well for you and you have fun!

Thank you for your help!

Hello everyone!
I may be traveling to Orlando, USA on the 1st of October from India.
Is there anyone here from Orlando? Is there a meet-up planned for the World Postcard day?
I have seen a meet-up planned in Washington DC. If there is no Meet-up happening in Orlando, I might change my travel itinerary and try and reach Washington DC on the 1st.

Would really appreciate a quick reply if possible, as I have to book my flights.

Iā€™d like to try an asynchronous format for a PC meetup - - can I get feedback?

WHERE: along the historic Boston Post Road (from New York City to Boston)

WHEN: entire month of October 2023, starting on World Postcard Day! It is also the 350th anniversary of the launch of the postal system in the US, which began on this road in 1673 (when the US was still a colony).

WHAT: four stops along the road, at historic mile markers near modern public transportation. The stops will be small hidden boxes, akin to a geocache or letterbox.

HOW: Simple clues on the event meetup webpage will lead finders to each box (see atlasquest.org for examples). Inside each box will be 50 event cards, each with its own special design for that ā€œmeetupā€ site. You sign/stamp all those cards and then message the host a photo to confirm you did this. At the end of the month, the host will retrieve all the the cards signed by attendees and mail a small batch of fully signed cards (depending on attendance) in an envelope to each attendee.

WHO: All who can reach these locations are welcome. RSVPs are not necessary, timing need not be planned out, and you wonā€™t be meeting anyone in person.

WHY: Iā€™m a total introvert with a busy work and parenting life ā€” and Iā€™m exhausted by the idea of hosting an actual meet-up, but still like the idea of a community celebration :slight_smile:

Thoughts?

6 Likes

I love it, such a fun idea! (Iā€™m not sure ā€œmeetupā€ is the right word for it). Sadly I canā€™t make it, if I were in the area, Iā€™d be participating for sure. Would love to swap the postcard if you decide to do it. Good luck!

1 Like

Is it okay to hold a virtual postcrossing meetup?
Would the rules applicable to a regular meetup be same to a virtual meetup?
How should we make it work?

How too conduct and organize a virtual meetup?
Any guidelines available specifically for that?

Youā€™l find some advice in my post of 20 November in this thread:

Virtual meetup recommendations

1 Like

Hallo~ im freshman in joint group, recently i want to creat a group~ anyone can give some guideline

1 Like

GOOD!!!Thanks for your explainļ¼

Glad to see that the meetup guidelines have been published, but disappointed to see that virtual meetups were not addressed. Is there a plan afoot to do a separate set of guidelines for virtual meetups?

Meetups can truly be anywhere. There has even been one on a MOVING train car. :slight_smile:

If you like, you can pm me and I can help.

You can also check out my latest meetup post here, itā€™s fairly detailed, and has had positive feedback.

R

This seems like a fun idea. Iā€™m not sure if the site admins would call this a meetup, but it would be a great question to ask. As far as logistics, I would be concerned about engagement, being that people are basically going to do it soloā€¦and unless they bring a spouse, partner, family memberā€¦itā€™s not really a meetup. Iā€™m wondering how many people would engage, I guess? Have you polled your local region for this? Or private messaged people to see what their interest would be?

The upside to this is that people CAN do it solo, socially distance, and on their own time - no scheduling issues at all. :slight_smile: They can also get out on the road and get a walk in, if they so choose. This might appeal to hikers, walkers, history buffs. I like it that the route is near public transit, so it can reach a lot more people than out-of-the-way events.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Iā€™m hosting a meet-up in Tampa at noon in October. At least another person is coming from Orlando. Youā€™ll probably get 25 free postcards

1 Like

Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

The forum section with Dutch meetings contains many meetings from the past, even from 2021. There are many meetings in the Netherlands and it is now quite confusing. Can this part be cleaned? That would be great!

1 Like

These topics will not be deleted (just like almost all other topics are not deleted either). They fall to the bottom of the list anyway, as nothing is posted there any more and should therefore not normally be a problem.
However, you can also enter ā€œ2023ā€ in the search above - then you will get the meetings from this year.
Hope that helps :slightly_smiling_face:

hi everyone! i am back with trying to organise a meet up in moscow, this time for halloween, and i need your help! my idea was to take old vintage halloween greeting cards circa 1900s (ireland/usa origin, all public domain) and reprint them, to use as meet up cards with PC Logo on the back. could someone please explain to me if this is a way to do it or is it not allowed - putting PC Logo on reprints? is it okay for me to use vintage halloween postcards from a different country of origin for a meet up? i donā€™t want to offend anyone or to get into any trouble, so i would appreciate your input on this : )

Hallo,
Ich habe ein Meetup eingestellt. Wie gelangt es in die Meeting-Liste?
Danke fĆ¼r die Antwort.