Gender imbalance in user accounts?

WHOAH! Over here in UK, back side = bottom/buttocks. You might consider using “reverse side” instead? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Well, I learned that spelling is everything. :sweat_smile:

back side = reverse side
backside = bottom

1 Like

The spelling is the same, you’ve just put a space in it. :confused:

Confusion may arise when someone says it out loud. When you’re reading something, you ‘say it’ in your head = potential for confusion.

I have the impression Germany has quite a lot of male postcrossers. And usually their wishlist looks a little different than the female wishlist. But I don’t want to generalize :wink:

1 Like

I always use washi-tape but when I send a card to men, I usually use “not so cute” washi-tape. Is there such a thing as masculin or feminin washi-tape? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

oh today i put very cute fox washitape on a card for an older man. i don’t see why not. if it fits the profile and the person doesn’t say ‘no cute stuff’ or anything, everyone gets washitape from me.

7 Likes

For me, it depends on the content of the profile and not the gender. If the cute washi tape matches their preferred themes, then yes, I’ll use it even if it’s going to a man. And there are definitely women’s profiles where I get the sense that they dislike this stuff so I don’t use those types of decorations for them.

Prior to postcrossing, I would have said that I don’t want to receive stickers or that I don’t really care. Maybe that’s because I was used to my grandparents always selecting some very kitsch stickers for christmas mail which didn’t feel that personal because they got them for free with a cooking magazine or a TV guide.

However, now that I’ve received my first cards with stickers on them, I’ve been totally surprised by the very specific and (from my point of view) aesthetic stickers that I got on some cards, and I felt really thankful for the effort those senders have obviously put in selecting matching stickers for me.

For sending, it’s still a no for me, though. I don’t think it fits my personality and I also usually want to write as much as possible so I need the space! :wink:

I could imagine there are some stickers out there that I’d be okay with sending myself, but I’m not actively searching for them.

6 Likes

I see many things associated with genders. For ex.: colors, items, hobbies, sports etc. but I never thought it could be related to postcards. I think many of our’s (like mine) grandmas and grandpas was sending postcards and writing letters. But why is this a problem now? I really couldn’t understand. I think, like many other things, this one has also no gender. Only there are who like it and who doesn’t. I think there is no need to care too much about ‘gender’. There are just preferences :slightly_smiling_face:
(I’m sorry if i did some grammar mistakes, I’m not so good at typing long sentences; forgive me :slightly_smiling_face:)

6 Likes

I do! I don’t care about whatever gender stereotypes there are, and I don’t believe in conforming and succumbing to societal expectations or norms. I use washi tape and I love washi tape. I like stickers although I don’t have many to use on the postcards I send out.

After all, my profile picture is a cartoon. Think that explains a lot. :rofl:

3 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Like I wrote at another completely different post, it is NOT a matter of stereotypes. As a matter of fact, we all need to stop seeing it as this. It is only a matter of taste. Just like there will always be more men than women who will like football more, just like there will always be more women who will like shopping, that is the same here.

By the way, I also like washi tape and stickers and I really love to have them at my received postcards.

3 Likes

Interestingly, the most beautifully decorated cards and envelopes that I have received with loads of washi tape, stickers and stuff like this came from men. :heart_eyes::dizzy::paintbrush:

5 Likes

Personally, I only look up the gender if I want to talk about them on the forum and want to find out whether I should refer to them as he, she or them.
I usually don’t look up the gender when I write a postcard. :sweat_smile: I haven’t really thought about this, but I think I don’t want to make assumptions based on the gender. Then I would also have to make assumptions because of the age of the receiver and the culture they live in and… Nah, too much thinking, too many stereotypes which exist to be broken.
Sometimes, I decorate my cards. Sometimes, I don’t. Sometimes, the decoration is cute. Sometimes, it is weird. (I have no qualms about putting banana stickers onto a postcard and calling it decoration.) Whether and how I do it, doesn’t usually depend on the receiver but whether I feel like decorating at the moment or not.

3 Likes

Late reply, but as a man I decorate moderately. A few stickers, sometimes a rubber stamp or two. I don’t have any washi tape. I enjoy getting decked out cards

1 Like

Washi is used when they do not know what to write. But “A real man always has something to say” (Quote from a cowboy movie). I never use washi tape. I’d rather draw something…

5 Likes

I don’t look at gender in profiles, at all.
So I couldn’t tell you if I get more cards from men or women. I wouldn’t mind if the whole gender part of profiles gets scrapped altogether, but I wouldn’t mind if it stays either. Maybe other people do find it useful.

I only look at interests/hobbies/wishes and decorate accordingly and if I feel like it (sometimes I go overboard, sometimes I do not decorate at all).

I, as a girl, love dinosaurs. I don’t see why a man couldn’t enjoy unicorns.

3 Likes

That’s good feedback - thanks for mentioning it. I don’t do a lot of “extra decorating” (not really that great at it), but when I do, I will be careful not to cover up info about the card, locale, etc.

2 Likes

I definitely agree with this. I’m happy to get any postcards, whether the reverse side is full of writing or covered in stickers (I know that for someone who’s not fluent in English, filling the card with writing might be an enormous task). But sometimes I’ll get a card from someone who’s seen on my profile that I like art so they send me a picture of a painting or statue, and then when I look on the back of the card to find out more… it’s covered in washi tape!

3 Likes

Ah, thank you for this.

What I also noticed is that a lot of postcards have, let’s be honest, kitschy motifs … (The same goes for other things, such as decoration stuff, visiting a drug store…)

I have quite a few but I feel reluctant to send any of them to a male postcrosser unless it’s in their profile. Most often I don’t have what the majority of them requests (trains, bridges,…). :see_no_evil: :woman_shrugging:

This is awkward, I know. But anyone else who has these thoughts? Would a male postcrosser like a postcard depicting a kitten? Would it be too kitschy? Questions like these occur in my mind. Would they like golden, glittery postcards? Especially when I have nothing “fancy” or “cool” like motorbikes, or anything else to send? To me it is important that at least I try to match the sent card to their profile if possible. I would not like to send anything unwanted—male or female or they, doesn’t matter. The only exception is when I see that they don’t like their received postcards at all.