Gender imbalance in user accounts?

Believe it or not. Your cat would not be the only one.

7 Likes

Believe it or not, but the second biggest postcrosser in Germany is a cat. He has nearly 30000!!! cards. He probably can read and write by now.

33 Likes

And the second most active one from New Zealand as well. :wink:

5 Likes

While mice rule the world, as commonly known, cats obviously are in authority for postcards.

19 Likes

Yes! Iā€™ve been honoured by Klausdiemaus :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Which is why I created Dudes Who Write on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dudeswhowrite

Weā€™re a hub where you can find like-minded guys who enjoy handwritten or typewritten correspondence, since itā€™s not easy to spot us around at letter writing social events or online. :slight_smile:

Weā€™re also on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/Dudes-Who-Write-115063350373572

:blush: :love_letter: :fountain_pen:

@Dampfbahner @EDC83 @Tutubi @Speicher3 @yudi

19 Likes

Great. Iā€™ll see you there!

1 Like

You can check the statistics and yes there are more women (I think 60%) then men. Iā€™m not trying to be rude or disrespectful. I appreciate everyone on this sight regardless of gender. Honestly I donā€™t really care. If your a man and your interested go ahead and participate or if your a woman same thing! Thatā€™s what so nice about postcrossing itā€™s so inclusive. Gender, race, nationality or whatever donā€™t decide if your accepted here

5 Likes

Or maybe we are just people who donā€™t think it matters and donā€™t want to get gendered cards or messages.

Iā€™ve assumed that the reason some men are very active is because they are avid collectors, and collectors are more likely to send more cards to get more cards. People who donā€™t collect, will have a different approach, and would probably be overwhelmed if they had the same numbers as the collectors.

I donā€™t know if men are more likely to collect anything, but I do seem to see more stories about them than women.

8 Likes

I just draw a man address with 30.000 sent cards XD so they are here :wink:

1 Like

I too am one of these people. In my opinion the box should not be there, it should make no difference to others what anyone is. If we wrote cards with our genitals I would consider it.

Is your dominant writing part
a) a vulva
b) a penis
c) other

14 Likes

I have the same approach for all - I pick a postcard fitting their profile or interests if which I think they might like, and I write a nice message.
I noticed, however, that many women tend send postcards with a lot of stickers and washi tape on, men rather not.

I am aware that this is a question of personal preferences, and some men may like it, some fdonā€˜t - thatā€˜s why I do not ask ā€žDo men (in general) like washi ā€¦?ā€œ - but how about you guys here in this topic? Do you like decorated postcards? Do you decorate yourself?

2 Likes

Well, I like decorated cards but it depends on the decoration. Most of all I like interesting messages, thatā€™s why Iā€™m always happy when the postcardā€™s limited space is filled with text.
I appreciate decoration like paintings, drawings or elements which fits to the postcardā€™s design or the message. If itā€™s just a strip of washi tape which has nothing to do with the postcard or the message or if the postcard is filled with an explosion of glitter stickers I donā€™t mind. But thatā€™s not the kind of decoration I really like.
If I decorate postcards I tend to use rubber stamp prints or sometimes faux stamps.

4 Likes

I decorate my postcards with washi tape and stickers too. Not all of them, but the majority.

2 Likes

Although I wouldnā€™t consider it an ā€œimbalanceā€ issue. Just like men, who like sports and cars more than women, exactly the same happens with postcrossing. Some hobbies attract females more than males and vice versa. That doesnā€™t mean that the opposite sex cannot participate, it is only a matter of tasteā€¦

7 Likes

I bought a lot of washi and cute stickers for others, not for myself. I love to decorate cards but honestly I donā€™t expect to received ā€œtoo cute decorated cardā€. Not that I hate them, I am just not a fan of cute decoration. I still keep cute decorated card in my collection because whatā€™s more important for me are the picture side and the message.

1 Like

The same for me (female). I bought some stickers and washi because I learned that many postcrossers appreciate them, but I used them modestly, I donā€˜t want to overload the card and need the space to write.

1 Like

I donā€™t decorate my cards at all, Iā€™d rather use the space to write :slight_smile:

If the sender covers the information that is printed on the card (for example description of the place, name of the artist etc.) with washi tape or stickers, thatā€™s a tiny bit annoying to me :wink:

9 Likes

I think its mostly women.

However when writing postcards, Iā€™m old school. Write and stamp. The blank side is a canvas but I feel its too small. Anyways I love a nicely decorated back side card however, I dont use washi tape. I think it has a tendency to come off in the sorting machines. I recieved one with a pieces of washi tape on the picture side of the card. The tape was wrinkled and it looked liked fried bacon. Lol. But clearly it came off another card.

I may not decorate postcards, but if I write a letter I may decorate the envelope with a drawing. Thats a bigger canvas

1 Like

Well I make no difference in my (enormous, as you know from cards you got from me :D) use of washi/stickers between genders. They all get decoration according to things started on their profile.

2 Likes