Gender imbalance in user accounts?

I am just new to Postcrossing but a quick glance through the forum might lead to the impression that there is a gender imbalance. Is this just a guess of me or is it a fact?
Does someone have statistics on that - os has found out the reason?

Thanks,
Stefan

Gender imbalance which way? Too many women? Too many men? How would anyone know, some people prefer to keep such things private because to them, they’re not important. :puzzled:

10 Likes

There are more women who are Postcrossers if you look at the stats - I’m sure all kinds of books or PhD theses could be written as to the why.
https://www.postcrossing.com/stats/users

26 Likes

Cushty…

I’m off to live in the South Sudan as well, lol no members there currently and no postcards sent, be great to be first… lol Thanks @LC-Canada for the link in your post. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

To be honest, I think any imbalance is probably an underlying societal issue as to what people consider acceptable or not acceptable for certain genders to do. Whatever statistics Postcrossing has on that is merely a symptom of that issue and not anything that Postcrossing (or even the postcard hobby itself) has really done.

29 Likes

When you look through a lot of profiles you may find there are other interesting gender imbalances, too. For example, Postcrossers who list an interest in railroad trains are most often male. :smiley:

But, welcome to Postcrossing! There is a whole world of interests and adventure here. And if you are lucky, someone may send you beautiful train stamps…

33 Likes

I joked to my ex that I’ve been writing to college girls, mothers, and grandmas. She remarked: “Of course. They’re bored in their homes. And women enjoy writing more than men. Don’t you notice there are more women novelists today than male?”

11 Likes

I loathe that stereotype that men can’t enjoy letter writing in the modern world.

55 Likes

@PleiadianDragon If I could :heart: this comment 1000 times, I would.

9 Likes

Maybe the 19% who didn’t list gender are men who were told that!

7 Likes

When you look at the ranking of the most active postcrossers in last 60 days, there are quite many men there. Men, women, non-binary…it is not our gender that makes us enjoy sending and receiving postcards. We are those who are willing to wait for weeks, even months to pieces of cardboard to travel, instead of tapping a quick message on the keyboard. Long live mail services!

57 Likes

Well said.

3 Likes

Whatever real men are, but…

29 Likes

Just for the sake of sticking to cliché: men make a competition out of anything :stuck_out_tongue: :star_struck: :laughing:

(please note the ironic wink)

16 Likes

I actually enjoy the ‘gender’ inequality of postcrossing, because it is much more diverse here. You can pull the address of an animal or a plant, of a family or a whole class of 9-year olds with their hilarious preferences. My first postcard was to a privately run bookshop and I got hooked immedietely😊

34 Likes

Just checked the Top 10:
6 male
2 female
2 not stated, but I know one of them is male

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

It is true, the general statistics of the website say there are much more women here. This is just some data, but also a social behaviour index, I think.
Smells like a stereotype according to which men, at least in the Western society, shouldn’t sit down and write a postcard, and I sadly had to cope with this. I can’t figure out in which way writing down a postcard should be considered more of a woman’s or a man’s hobby, really, I tried hard but couldn’t :rofl:.
Long live Postcrossing as it harmonises the nuances of humanity such as age, gender, culture etc :smile:

28 Likes

Our ancestors wrote letters because there wasn’t any internet.

2 Likes

Well, I think separating what genders do starts at an extremely early age. I don’t know what the toy sections look like in other countries, but in the US, it’s separated into boys and girls. And there are very distinct toys in each aisle. Girls are subtly or not so subtly discouraged from doing math and science and being told that the humanities (like writing) is more of their strong suit. This is bourn out by a lot of research that point to socialization as a key factor for that difference.

4 Likes

This cracks me up!:laughing:
Maybe I should start an account for my cat​:thinking::thinking::joy:

5 Likes