Forest hike meetup in Østmarka, Oslo Sunday August 11th, 2024 at 11am

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Oslo, Norway
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Tveita subway station
:calendar: DATE: August 11th, 2024
:alarm_clock: TIME: 11am
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN: Hiking in the forest, having a snack, signing postcards

A special weekend meetup in honor of @metalgoddess who is visiting from Canada. Unless the weather is completely atrocious, in which case we will think of something else, we will walk to Mariholtet in Østmarka, a charming place with delicious cinnamon buns :smiley:

You can check out their website here: https://mariholtet.no/

They serve sandwiches and various baked goods. There is both indoor and outdoor seating available. We can also have a picnic in the woods if we like :slight_smile: and there are opportunities for a swim if the weather allows. The hike is pretty easy, it’s about 7km each way and we can walk all the way on gravelled roads or take forest paths part of the way. We will meet at Haugerud subway station and walk from there. Alternatively @KAS can meet whoever is starting from downtown at Nationaltheatret station and you can take the subway up together. I will meet everyone at Haugerud.

Bring postcards to write, sign or show off. Or just come and hang out with other Postcrossers in Oslo’s beautiful forest. Welcome!

If you’re planning to attend, it’s great if you can let us know in this thread.

@KAS: It’s your job to promote this on Facebook as usual. :smile:

Hope to see many of you there! :smile:

We are planning a special meetup card for this meetup, so watch this space!

Attendees:
LeishaCamden
KAS
metalgoddess
KaterinaIII
Baguetta

:point_up: Please make sure to read the Meetup Guidelines before signing up for a meetup.

2 Likes

@LeishaCamden Thanks for organizing! The one thing I wonder about is if there is a possibility to take a shorter version of the walk. Hopefully, I would be OK; but I’ll be less than 24 hours into a 8 hour time change and after a 20 hour travel day so a 14km walk might be rather ambitious for me that day and I don’t want to ruin things. Everything else about it sounds dreamy!

I am staying about a block from Sentralstasjon, so if I could meet up with @KAS at Nationaltheatret, that would be great.

See you there! Will promote away :slight_smile:

This is absolutely possible. We can for instance bring a picnic and walk some forest paths closer to “civilization” instead of going to Mariholtet. It’s been 14 years since I lived there, but I seem to remember a very nice path around the lake Lutvannet, for example. Should be around 5 km total from the subway and back. So many options :smile:

Absolutely, I will be arriving by train from Drammen that morning, so suggest meeting at 10.30am by the fountain outside Nationaltheatret station :steam_locomotive:

1 Like

Update 22 June: meetup card! So we went for a walk to Skøyenputten in the wonderful weather yesterday and took some pictures :sunglasses:

Here is the meetup card for this hike. Of course the weather will be just as lovely on August 11 :wink: If it’s a rainy day, we’ll still walk to Skøyenputten but write our cards elsewhere.

I guess price per card will be in the 6-8 NOK per card range. As always depending on total size of order. The more cards = the cheaper per card. Please order your meetup cards by 1 July.

Update 1 July: cards have been ordered. Price per card is 4.9 NOK (based on 100 cards ordered, I will pay for any remaining myself). Round up your final tally.

Click image for bigger view.

Orders:
KAS - 20
LeishaCamden - 15
metalgoddess - 25
Baguetta - 15
ScandinavianTraveler - 5

Cards still available: 20

1 Like

That would be great. I would be less hesitant on another day but I might just be a bit discombobulated with the time change and I’d rather state that upfront than get to the middle of the forest and crash:P

It’ll be great to be able to take the subway with you as that’ll ensure I don’t get lost.

I am travelling with a backpack so I don’t have a lot of extra room, but if anyone has postcard or candy or small things requests from Canada, let me know.

1 Like

We can also walk to a place called Sarabråten which is a little over halfway to Mariholtet, it’s perfect for a picnic. Then we can see how you’re feeling after a rest there maybe :blush:

1 Like

Sarabråten! I’d forgot all about that :wink: Also lovely :grinning:

That sounds great! Thanks for being so accommodating:)

I think I’m able to join. It’s noted.

1 Like

I’ve had yet another idea … !! We could go to my favorite place in Østmarka, Skøyenputten. If we walk from my local subway stop it’s about 2,5 kilometers each way, but there’s also a bus stop along the main road which makes it only about half a kilometer to walk. So if someone gets really exhausted we have the public transport option to get back. And if the weather allows for it it’s a great place for a swim … and it’s not somewhere a tourist would ever end up, normally. So that’s another suggestion :thinking:

ETA that there are a couple of geocaches in the vicinity too :smiley:

2 Likes

Skøyenputten looks stunning. 2.5 km each way is easily do-able for me even if I am tired (unless there is a lot of incline:P). I’m just happy to do whatever with you all though and to be in a forest in Norway!!!

I haven’t geocached in ages but I should re-install for the trip.

If anyone else plays Pokemon Go and wants North American stuff, let me know your code and I can add in advance so dust cost is less for trades.

EDIT: And i know it’s not just about me and if I can handle the walk. I am just excited:)

1 Like

Skøyenputten is good too :grinning: I’m thinking I may decide to head up to Lutvannet while we’re there. I haven’t been there since we moved and it’s just around the corner from Skøyenputten! Time & weather permitting etc.

This sounds lovely, but I’m not sure yet if I can attend. Will let you know as soon as I know :smiling_face:

1 Like

Hope you can make it, would be nice to see you again :grinning:

1 Like

This post is now updated with meetup card info. Please order your cards by 1 July.

1 Like

15 cards for me, please! :smiley:

1 Like

So pretty!!! Could I get 20 cards please? Not sure how you work payment; but if you prefer payment in advance, I would happily Paypal you funds.

1 Like

Cash on the day will be fine :blush:

Perfect! Just let me know the total whenever you know. I love the layout you picked for the card.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to travel to Oslo this weekend :cry: (If only it had been the Sunday before or after :laughing: ). Hope you will have a wonderful hike in the forest and that the weather will be as good as in the meetup card :wink: