Folded cards?!

Hello everyone. Do you have any experience about receiving or sending folded cards? Do you know that those arrive or not?

1 Like

Not sure what the question means, so going out on a limb here … Postcrossing is about sending and receiving postcards; not traditional folded cards like birthday cards, etc.

3 Likes

There is a recurring discussion about folded cards, as they’re not postcards in sense of the Postcrossing rules. Most members don’t like to recieve them…

We already talked about this topic here:

4 Likes

I received a larger oversized postcard that was folded. Not sure if that was done by the sender or a mail carrier. If thats what you mean, it seems to have arrived just fine.

If you send them in an envelope they are as likely to arrive as any other envelope, but they are no postcards and they do not need to be registered by the recipient.

This is in the Postcrossing Community Guidelines:

All postcards must be registered.

These include those that might not match your personal preferences or taste - all postcards must be registered, no exceptions. If you receive a postcard without or with a wrong Postcard ID, Postcrossing can help you. If you’ve received an item that you feel is unsuitable for the project, you should report it to Postcrossing and we’ll look into it.

5 Likes

You name it: All POSTCARDS!
When I received the first folded card, I asked the staff if I have to register it and their reply was that I was free to register it or not

7 Likes

That’s true, but folded card (greeting cards) are not postcards. Postcards are cards meant to be sent without an envelope (of course you may send them inside, but you don’t need to).

I quoted (and linked) a staff member’s statement about folded cards here:

It clearly says, that folded cards are not needed to be registered! It’s the receiver’s choice.

9 Likes

I think it’s very curious.
Many people ask to send something along.
A small piece of fabric (I once sent this along for someone who wanted to make a kind of worldwide postcrossing quilt), stamps, pictures, all kinds of questions I have seen passing by. And you would have to have them fly along separately with a card?

And I would also like to draw your attention to the following:

I don’t know where in the world it is all known, but it could just happen that there are a lot of people who don’t know the difference between a card with or without an envelope. At least I didn’t know. A card is a card. And I knew no difference. Maybe a little more leniency and patience with everyone would be a good idea.

With the best of intentions, I bought and made cards. With and without envelopes. Once I know that the intention is to send postcards without envelopes, I keep that in mind. But the cards I’ve already bought, I do use. And when those are not registered for the reason that they don’t meet all the requirements, I would find that very nauseating.

9 Likes

Did you register it?

A decade ago you could find postcards everywhere. Now–I have to drive 20 miles to a place that sells Maryland postcards. Or I have to find some online that I like.

Now everyone has simple access to postcards. It doesn’t hurt to register a folded card. I’d rather choose to be kind and register it. To each is own…

Happy Postcrossing… :heart: :mailbox_closed: :heart:

10 Likes

No, I did not! That was back in 2013, but up to this date you do not need to take part in a thing if you cannot meet the requrements. By the way, in many places you can order real postcards online.
In the meantime I registered some folded cards, for they were nice or the message touched me, so I am not consequent in this point.

Do you know that those arrive without envelope or just with envelope?

You can wait for a profile who says they like folded cards.
Or, when someone wants something extra, then use it with a postcard.
Yesterday I sent a card to a person, who asked if I send in an envelope, to maybe add something there. I sent the postcard and tea, and put the tea inside the folded card, so it’s a protection.
I used the same for coins sometimes, but always put the postcard too, and put the id only to the postcard, all else is extra.

(Edit. I don’t mean anyone has to send any extra, but if they like, then the greeting card is good for like taping coins or magnet to it.)

2 Likes

I understand that you’ve bought the folded cards with best intentions, but Postcrossing’s rule is to send postcards. As soon as you’ve realized that, it’s simply not fair to send folded cards nevertheless, and expect that the recievers register them. :worried:

Postcrossing has simple rules, and its only fair that all members respect them. I also don’t like folded cards, but I’ve registered the few ones I recieved so far.

7 Likes

An alternative is to send folded cards in Tag games. I have linked three such tags here:

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/note-in-a-folded-card-surprise-tag/20428

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/folded-cards-easy-wishes-tag/49313

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/chatting-over-tea-tea-and-a-note/3774

2 Likes

For me al the cards send by post are postcards.

I’m thinking about opening another separate topic on the subject, because it means a lot more to me. But that doesn’t exactly fit into this discussion.

done!
see:

What postcrossing gave me and what postcrossers took away from me

Im sorry, but it isn’t about your definition of a postcard, but the one Postcrossing states in the FAQ. The description makes it very clear that it’s a simple card without envelope:

Btw, Wikipedia defines a postcard the same way:

“A postcard or post card is a piece of thick paper or thin cardboard, typically rectangular, intended for writing and mailing without an envelope.”

If someone doesn’t agree with the rules, they shouldn’t draw addresses…

10 Likes

When I was a newbie, I did not know that a folded card is not counted as a postcard.

In Finland, if you go to a paper shop and ask the shop assistant to show you some postcards, the assistant will show you also folded cards. They both are “postikortti” in Finnish.

When I was a newbie, I sent folded cards, when their pictures matched to receiver´s wish lists. I did not know I was doing anything wrong let alone breaking the rules. Luckily most receivers had a little bit mercy and they registered my cards.

I have also registered folded cards. The sender can be the same kind of “silly” newbie as I was. If the sender has tried to delight me, I have no reason to be displeased.

(I also prefer folded cards to food packages.)

6 Likes

Did you send them with envelope or without it?

In the envelope. Sometimes I wrote how fantastic thing it was, that I had so suitable (or even a perfect) postcard to receiver´s wish list. :smile:

1 Like