Five Ways Postcrossing Makes me a Better Person

Hello,

I’ve published an article on Vocal about some of the hidden benefits of being a postcrosser. You can read it here

Hope this is the right place to announce it.

Alan (werewegian)

80 Likes

I liked reading your article. Some things I recognise, especially the part about needing to learn patience :grin:

1 Like

That’s a fabulous article Alan. You’ve put into words things I had only vaguely thought about. Nicely done.

1 Like

I liked that too. I feel the same way.

1 Like

It took me months to learn that one!

Thanks. I enjoyed working on it!

Great article @werewegian! I often see your self-photographed Glasgow cards around the gallery and, as a fellow Glaswegian, I always love them so much - you capture the city and all its magic, charm and humour so perfectly, and so much better than any bland commercial card I’ve ever bought!

1 Like

Such a great article! I enjoyed reading it a lot and I recognized myself in it (my handwriting got better, I learnt how to be more patient, Postcrossing gave me tranquility and peace, and I started cherishing others more:))

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. I’ve been spending a lot of time at my caravan in Gourock this year but I’ll be back photographing the city over the Winter months, especially as everything becomes more open! All the best, Alan

2 Likes

I’m glad you could see yourself in the points. I think postcrossing makes most of us better people. :smile:

1 Like

@werewegian,
Great article! I agree with all your points. After almost 10 years it is still a pleasure! And people around the world are awesome!
Thanks for sharing.
d

1 Like

Thanks for the article! You have a beautiful handwriting, as far as I can tell from the photos in the article. Furthermore, I like the photo of the postcards you arranged in a growing circle.

It’s not just about learning to be patient, which is important, but also being humble. That was truly a good point. Concerning the focus part of postcrossing: I think, most tasks such as reading, writing, drawing, sculpting, etc. are tasks that require not just dedication but also focus on the task itself. You have to brush everything aside that might distract (or depress/upset) you.
These kind of tasks are like meditation, imho.
Not about postcrossing, but Wolf’s book about “Reader, come home” might give you an idea about it.

Nicely written article, and I agree with your points! <3

1 Like

I enjoyed the article and it’s really well written, but why did my handwriting not improve? :joy: It’s still a mess!
(But I never really stopped using it, I never stopped taking handwritten notes even before I joined postcrossing).

1 Like

Thanks!

I think you are right about the focus point. You do have to allow yourself space to get in the zone. I will allow people to interrupt me while I write a card but never when I’m writing the address!

2 Likes

Thanks!

I bet it’s not! All the best, Alan

1 Like

Thank you for writing and sharing this @werewegian — well written and it made our day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done Alan I share many of your thoughts and like you have learned patience here.

1 Like