Extra card to send on World Postcard Day

In my opinion, the increase should be temporary.

1 Like

Beside the World Postcard Day, there could be extra slots on the following dates:

• user Birthday (anti-cheat mechanism need to be implemented);
  • user anniversary of postcrossing.com registration;
  • World Post Day (9th October);
  • Anniversary of first postage stamp (1st May 1840).
3 Likes

I fully support this excellent idea! With no slots available it would be so nice to have that possibility to send at least one postcard on this special day.

I don’t think it should be extended to other occasions, though.

3 Likes

If you want to participate, I think it’s very easy to just keep one slot open for the day. I do too and I’ve just started. If you give one slot extra for one day and afterwards they take it away again, it will create confusion/disappointment as a poster a couple of posts ago mentioned from experience.

There is so much talk about world postcard day, that those who are interested in things like this can’t miss it. And if you do, well there’s always next year :slight_smile:

11 Likes

It is extremely difficult to keep one slot open!

At least for me in my first 10 years around here.

3 Likes

I can’t see the difficulty here. I have always 10-15 slots open and even if you normally use all your slots as soon as they are available, you could just leave one open a few weeks in advance, if it is really important to you to get this badge.

9 Likes

I get it. I could have 20 travelling at the moment, only have 18, and am itching to use those two slots NOW. As it is, I know that my next travelling card that is registered will be my 3rd World Postcard Day slot, so it will be even harder then. (I’m alternating, saving a slot, sending a postcard, saving a slot, every time one of my postcards is registered.)

2 Likes

That’s what I mean. Of course I’d like to fill out all my slots, but as I also would like to participate in the postcard day, I’ve left knee slot open now since August.

2 Likes

Then your problem is your addiction. You have all the 100 slots that you can have. And having so many slots means that some get free every day. So you will have a free slot on Friday next week!

I find its a great idea!

Great idea. I have a limit of 13 cards. All my cards reached their destination this week. I am holding back from drawing new addresses so that I have slots on the 1st.

Due to bad planning on my part, I was unable to request an address for World Postcard Day last year after reaching my limit a few days before.

So I was thinking it would be nice if there was a WPD ‘event’ where everyone had the ability to claim one address outside of their normal rotation as a special WPD address. It is extra and does not affect your sending limit.

I think it would add to the sense of celebrating the day as people have a special WPD address and can write to the recipient ‘You are my WPD address, yay!’

It’s only a small thing but it creates an ‘event’. The current system is basically to do what you normally do anyway and get a badge for it.

Thoughts?

5 Likes

All they need is a well-crafted form letter to send out in response of a complaint, explaining/reminding where the slot went. I mean, people are always going to complain about something no matter what but that doesn’t mean you don’t try new things.

1 Like

I love this idea. Rather than adding a card to the current count, you could add a button to request an ID. The user could click that button to get a bonus ID but if they don’t use it it expires and disappears. In this fashion it is fair to everyone, you use it or you don’t.

4 Likes

Looks like admin already answered the question :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

My suggestion: A function to block a slot in advance of an event. The slot will be releases automaticaly on the day of the event.

1 Like

:heavy_plus_sign::one::exclamation:
I was going to suggest the same thing.

I enjoy the Postcrossing experience, there are no fees to participate and I appreciate the administration for all they do. I would not like to create chaos for them so I will save a spot or two for World Postcard Day.
Although you may not have an open spot for WPD on Postcrossing, you could still mail a postcard to family and friends. The celebration of mailing postcards to spread peace, love, and friendship are the reasons why it is noted as “World Postcard Day, “ is it not?

4 Likes