Expired Postcards

Sometimes postcards get very delayed or sometimes lost in the mail, it’s frustrating when that happens, but remember the majority of everyone’s mail gets delivered.

Lots more to read here:

1 Like

One arrived recently. Russia and recently recibe 3 from Russia.

Oh is time . Ah ufff​:smiley::thinking: more time than usually. Or normally. Thanks for the information.

To add to others’ comments on this - during the pandemic, mail got really chaotic. I suspect sometimes post offices had to close suddenly and a bag of mail just got forgotten. Then, when people return, the bag gets found and sent.

I’ve recently been receiving cards from Russia in the fairly typical timeframe of 40-50 days. But during the week, I got two cards sent from Russia in mid-February, which suddenly arrived.

2 Likes

I have my first postcard of 60 days today. I checked the recipient’s profile and realized she last registered cards on 6 August, about a dozen of them on the same day and nothing since. I wonder why people want to be on Postcrossing when they just sit on these cards. Oh well, just venting.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Postcards that you can’t register (traveling for over one year)

deleted

Not problem I send another .

Has anyone resent a postcard if it expires?

1 Like

Once in a while, but not often - having cards lost & expired is a normal part of Postcrossing.

The receiver doesn’t know the card is missing & you are not expected to resend a lost card.

It’s sad when a card doesn’t make it, but you have to get used to the fact that once you mail the card, it’s out of your control.

Remember the vast majority of cards do make it to their destination and right now especially the mail will be slower as long as the Omicron waves continues - it might still arrive later next year.

6 Likes

You can find the answer in here

3 Likes

Thanks all!

1 Like

Funny enough, I messaged a user the other day to see if a card (60 days travelling) had arrived. They said it hadn’t and was likely lost, so I wrote (and planned to send, still will!) another one.

Today, three days later… I got a hooray message for the card! It arrived :joy:

2 Likes

I looked at your sent, it was only 63 days to Russia! It is in the normal range for Russia, and even for quicker countries I would wait at least 3-4 months. Otherwise you will spend half of your time on postcrossing asking people if they got your card. That kind of ruins it…

I stopped asking long ago, I only do it in extremely rare cases when something seems odd. And I’d only consider it after a crazy long time like months and months.

Apparently there are people who do this obsessively :scream: The guidelines say you don’t have to so I always took it as unnecessary. I only did it a couple of times (eg someone moving from slow country to easy country - quick win). There is one I’ve been wanting to resend for months (Netherlands?!) but probably won’t, it will soon reach 365 days so no point doing it so late as it might arrive too late to be reg. (well still 2 months but now it’s the holidays etc. etc.)

1 Like

That’s a bit overdramatic, given that >85% of cards from most to most countries arrive within the two months :innocent: :smirk:

Happy holidays for those who will have soon, and the rest of the world too, of course. :snowflake:

3 Likes

Yes, I do it every now and then.

But just if:

1. the receiver seems to be online regularly
  2. receives / registers cards regularly
  3. the card travels too long in my opinion to that specific country

In pandemic time I wait longer before asking / resending.

Especially in these days I had not just a few who I asked and some time later the card was registered and they apologized that they’ve mixed up the cards, simply forgot and so on.
And to the US there were a lot of cards which were simply lost on its journey in 2021🤷

2 Likes

That’s good to know, thank you! I probably won’t ask after more of my expired cards but since this was the first I wanted to check :blush:

I always have that problem with people from all over the world: this is Italian dramatic exaggeration, of course I don’t mean it literally :upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue: I am not able to say amounts without exaggerating them :woman_shrugging:t2: I know when I go somewhere and say things like, for example, “I waited for three hours for that!” and people look at me weird and I have to say I don’t mean literally three hours, I just mean a long time :rofl: But I’m sure this (the looking at me weird) only started to happen since I started living abroad (it’s only been 15 years so clearly not something I can learn to avoid doing :rofl:).

5 Likes

So, I’ve just had my first card that was sent more than 60 days ago come up as “expired”.
2 questions…

1. Should I assume it was lost and send that same person a second card?
  2. If it is just really that slow and they eventually get it and register it, will it still be able to get registered?
    Thanks - I’m sorry if this already got asked a million times. I’m still relatively new to this. LJ
1 Like
  1. You are not obliged to send another card.
  2. Your card can still get registered within max. 1 year from the date you drew the address.
7 Likes