Expired Postcards

I looked at your sent, it was only 63 days to Russia! It is in the normal range for Russia, and even for quicker countries I would wait at least 3-4 months. Otherwise you will spend half of your time on postcrossing asking people if they got your card. That kind of ruins it…

I stopped asking long ago, I only do it in extremely rare cases when something seems odd. And I’d only consider it after a crazy long time like months and months.

Apparently there are people who do this obsessively :scream: The guidelines say you don’t have to so I always took it as unnecessary. I only did it a couple of times (eg someone moving from slow country to easy country - quick win). There is one I’ve been wanting to resend for months (Netherlands?!) but probably won’t, it will soon reach 365 days so no point doing it so late as it might arrive too late to be reg. (well still 2 months but now it’s the holidays etc. etc.)

1 Like

That’s a bit overdramatic, given that >85% of cards from most to most countries arrive within the two months :innocent: :smirk:

Happy holidays for those who will have soon, and the rest of the world too, of course. :snowflake:

3 Likes

Yes, I do it every now and then.

But just if:

1. the receiver seems to be online regularly
  2. receives / registers cards regularly
  3. the card travels too long in my opinion to that specific country

In pandemic time I wait longer before asking / resending.

Especially in these days I had not just a few who I asked and some time later the card was registered and they apologized that they’ve mixed up the cards, simply forgot and so on.
And to the US there were a lot of cards which were simply lost on its journey in 2021🤷

2 Likes

That’s good to know, thank you! I probably won’t ask after more of my expired cards but since this was the first I wanted to check :blush:

I always have that problem with people from all over the world: this is Italian dramatic exaggeration, of course I don’t mean it literally :upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue: I am not able to say amounts without exaggerating them :woman_shrugging:t2: I know when I go somewhere and say things like, for example, “I waited for three hours for that!” and people look at me weird and I have to say I don’t mean literally three hours, I just mean a long time :rofl: But I’m sure this (the looking at me weird) only started to happen since I started living abroad (it’s only been 15 years so clearly not something I can learn to avoid doing :rofl:).

5 Likes

So, I’ve just had my first card that was sent more than 60 days ago come up as “expired”.
2 questions…

1. Should I assume it was lost and send that same person a second card?
  2. If it is just really that slow and they eventually get it and register it, will it still be able to get registered?
    Thanks - I’m sorry if this already got asked a million times. I’m still relatively new to this. LJ
1 Like
  1. You are not obliged to send another card.
  2. Your card can still get registered within max. 1 year from the date you drew the address.
7 Likes

Adding to @manuchka 's point: just carry on with other postcards. Enjoy the ride … :purple_heart:

4 Likes

The majority of people don’t send a 2nd card - remember the receiver doesn’t know it’s missing right?

Expired postcards are a regular part of Postcrossing & while it’s sad they don’t reach their destination, it’s part of the process we have to accept.

And remember, the vast majority of cards DO reach their destinations thank goodness.

6 Likes

Just this weekend I had two expired cards (77 and 76 days travelling) received at their destination by good postcrossers. The three outstanding expired cards I have now are less than 1.5% of all my sent cards. I’m happy with that!

Plus, in a little over a year, I have received 13 cards which were expired for the sender, most in the 61-79 day range.

7 Likes

January 2021 around 87
January 2022 exactly 42

Some expired got registered. I thougt I slowed down in sending but my received yearly statistics learned me that I did not.

I did not sent 2nd cards.

Already about 10 % of sent cards are expired … that’s only 5 cards to 5 different countries, lost in one year (plus one that was registered because the account was deleted) … next card will expire in 3 days … Then it will be more than 10 %.

I know about all the difficulties during pandemic situation,
got an expired card myself after 198 days of travelling, so still a little chance …
but it’s a little frustrating …

Wondering how much cards (in percent of sent cards) others have lost?

10% really is a lot… I have 2.4% expired cards.

1 Like

195 days later, my postcard arrived to its destination In Turkey. :v:

5 Likes

[quote=“Axolotl_, post:323, topic:6638”]
10% really is a lot… [/quote]

This made me realise I probably have around 10% loss rate. At some point I had 11 expired, I don’t think any of them arrived and the last one or two are going to disappear out of the system in the next few weeks. I sent roughly 100 cards in 2021 (meaning those that arrived).

One of my postcards arrived after 80 days in Germany :slight_smile:
That’s very unusual because the postcards and letter take only a few days :laughing:

1 Like

I think it depends in which country you live. For Germany or Austria it’s too many.

That’s encouraging, because I’ve just had one expire to an active postcrosser in Germany. Very unusual, as is your experience.

Cards can get lost between any two points, due to various reasons (adress, sorting machines, accidents, fires, floods, thieves, …)
Finland, Germany, Portugal, Russia, China … i have 24 countries where overall 65 of my cards from Austria went lost/were not registered.

From what I’m reading in topics and profiles, 3% +/- is a rate-of-losses we must make our peace with (a bit lower maybe if one does resend expired cards)

4 Likes

Hi there,

I currently have 13 cards on their way to their recipients. I currently have two expired cards whose recipients have not been active for 4 months/1 month. I sent them a second card last year, but I suspect they won’t be registered anymore either…

But there have also been positive experiences with the repeated attempt(s)… on the third attempt, a card to Ireland arrived :smiley:

From this year I will no longer send second postcards.

As a postcrosser wrote here in the thread:
This is life or postcrossing…

Stay healthy and safe :hugs:

3 Likes