Empty Hurray messages

So you think there are people, who are able to pull an address, read the profile - at least the address - write rhe card, get it to the outgoing mail register the incoming cards, but cannot type “thank you” before pressing the send button - that’s interesting!

5 Likes

I think there are young people as well as older people who have someone else do that for them, yes.

3 Likes

And these people certainly also register the cards for them and write the thank you message. Typing “thank you” is not really more upheaval than just registering the card.

4 Likes

Meh. I just don’t see the big deal.

2 Likes

I always thought that having at least a modicum of manners was, in fact, a big deal.

1 Like

You can see it as big deal if you like. I just don’t. That’s ok. Different people see things differently.

7 Likes

@Elisama_Omodei , look here.

1 Like

It only happened to me once, and if so, I would be much more upset with a standard message (already happens in some cases) than with an empty Hurray…

2 Likes

It is possible. Now I remember that when I was at university, I didn’t know how to receive mail at the dorm in the beginning. So I asked my parents to send me the IDs and I registered the cards with only a short generic thank you.

4 Likes

Empty, or even copy-and-paste, hurray messages are mostly upsetting and disappointing, even though we can seek consolation by considering all the personal or technical reasons that may have explained it.

Actually I’m curious to know, after receiving an empty message, do you remember your first impression of the recipient’s profile? Did you notice any sign of potentially lower chances of appreciation when choosing and preparing a postcard for them? And now when you reflect on it, anything off that you’ve realized?

1 Like

I received two empty hurray messages not too long ago and they were back to back. One wasn’t actually empty - the Postcrosser decided to type “.” Yes, a single period mark. That profile was demanding a certain type of card (one you must buy from the post office, there is only one design, and he’d already received it twice). I did my best to find a card he liked even though it wasn’t what he asked for, but I guess it wasn’t good enough. I was annoyed for a day or so before getting over it.

The great postcrossers far out number the rude. For that matter, I do find it really rude not to type out “thanks” upon registering a card regardless of language barrier or anything else. It’s six letters. But I don’t get myself twisted out of shape about it. I do make sure I always leave a nice thank you, personally, as I truly do appreciate all my cards and the joy they bring me upon opening my mailbox.

When dealing with human beings, you just have to take the good with the bad. Assume good intentions, for your own sake, and move on :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Empty hurrays suck

4 Likes

I have got several empty hurray messages.
Two of them were without messages by mistakes. The receivers sent me later messages, in which the other explained having pressed register button too early by mistake and apologized. The other did not explained the problem, but just thanked me. Both of them have liked the cards very much.
Once the receiver had put my card on favorites, although the hurray message was empty.

So I think many empty hurray messages are sent by mistake.

I write the hurray message first and when it is ready, then I write the card´s ID. If I press the register button too early nothing happens, if the ID is not written yet.

It would be easier to remember that, if the hurray message area would be above the ID -number area.
:thinking:

5 Likes

I always get a little sad when there’s not even a short “thank you” from the recipiant.
Because someone in a different part of the world took time to sit down, chose a card, write a message and mail it. So I never keep it empty. And there’s even a pop up message asking you if you are sure you want to leave it blank.

BUT: The language barrier is a thing, which I always try to take into consideration.
Sometimes people view your profil after they register you card and then write a message when they’ve learned a little bit more about you. Which is fair.

I just hope that I made people smile even when they don’t send a thank you message.

6 Likes

I remember one person who had a huge list of demands for postcards on their profile and didn’t even say thanks (even thoug I somehow managed to meet their expectations) and I remember that it hurt more thank an empty hurray message from an empty profile. (I think it might have been the language barrier)

3 Likes

I did not know that. So sending empty message is rarely a mistake. :thinking:

Nevertheless, when I get an empty hurray message, I like to believe, that it is just a mistake. People can be very clumsy with computers and phones. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I once sent my hurray message in the middle of a sentence. I just pressed a wrong button or something like that. But I also sent a second message afterwards explaining and of course a few more sentences to thank the sender.

I also get empty hurray from time to te, sometimes the card gets favourited or a comment by the repicient, I think in most cases it was a language barrier.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter if there is a pop-up of someone doesn’t speak English very well.

2 Likes

But honestly, so many discussions about the topic:
In fact, if it’s not your very first card, you’ve already received several Hurray replies yourself. Then it doesn’t matter what language you speak. It is known, that the recipient usually sends a reply and “thank you” will be understood by everyone around the world, translator or not. If you can’t even translate “thank you”, how can you have logged into the postcrossing system? You don’t just press 1 button and then your PC profile is created. And if someone helped with the translation, because you don’t know English, he will have even the simplest words “thank you” for me!

1 Like

Maybe not everyone reads their email.
Recently, a new postcrosser with 30 postcards sent found out about the hurray message on the forum only.

6 Likes