Does a Wooden Postcard Stand a Chance?

I have collected postcards for myself for decades, and I have a little of everything, including specialty postcards made on unique surfaces like pressed metal, or wood. Once I discovered Postcrossing (less than a year ago) I started the practice of buying 2 of every postcard I buy for my own collection, and they go into the shoe-box of cards on hand for Postcrossers.
Last month I bought two postcards painted on wood, but I am a little hesitant about how well that non-conventional card might travel. I already had one expired card, and that made me sad, and it was just a regular cardstock. You think a wooden or other “odd” styled card would survive the trip?
Have you ever sent or received one yourself?

6 Likes

I’ve received one wooden postcard. It was mailed in an envelope from Europe to US, which was fortunate because the postcard was broken into four pieces when I received it. But it least it was all there, and I was able to reassemble the card.

If you decide to mail one, be sure to use an envelope. :thinking:

11 Likes

Received from Germany. It is as thin as regulars postcard.

1 Like

I’ve received wooden postcards and cork postcards in the mail before and they’ve held up okay. What I would recommend doing his having the postcard canceled by hand and then place in a protective sheet…that is if the postal service allows it.

2 Likes

I once received from USA that was made of wood and shaped like a surfboard.

It needed some time to travell but made it well to me

9 Likes

I received one mailed within US and came broken, in an USPS “apology” plastic bag. It was most likely broken in the sorting machine

2 Likes

I mailed a few wooden postcards and had no complaint about.

5 Likes

And another one, all mailed without envelope.

7 Likes

I’ve received a wooden postcard in the mail. It came in an envelope. I took a chance and sent a “handmade” wooden postcard to Japan. It arrived!

2 Likes

I have received wooden cards with/without envelope from usa without problem.
This is one of them cam without envelope.

2 Likes

Recently I sent my friend a wooden postcard (written & stamped, no envelope), and she only received the right half of the card! The left half had broken off and gotten lost somewhere, so she received the right half in an apology envelope :confused:
I used a nonmachinable surcharge stamp and a first-class forever stamp, but I guess they didn’t see the nonmachinable stamp.

This was my first time sending a wooden postcard, so next time I’ll go to the post office in person and ask them to hand-cancel it and hope they don’t try to charge me extra :thinking:

1 Like

A month ago I sent a wooden postcard as usual, written, stamped and without an envelope. It arrived without any problem.

2 Likes

I saw some wonderful wooden cards in a bookstore. But the staff said that it may cannot be sent by post office because of overweight. And the post office doesn’t allow us to put hard stuff in envelopes. So I gave up the idea of buying them.

1 Like

I realize I started this thread and never followed up with how it turned out. My first attempt with a wooden postcard was one I sent to Germany, and it did arrive intact. The recipient loved it! But I worried about that card the whole time and was happily surprised that it survived the global journey.

I would send one again if I get a profile that actually requests non-typical materials (wood, metal, plastic, etc). But I would message them after 30 days if it’s not registered and ask if they would like a second card sent in case the unusual card got lost - and then send a nice standard type card.
Good luck with yours!

1 Like

Do you mind saying how much postage you used, and how you sent it out (dropped off in mailbox, handed to post office, etc)? I’m sending out more wooden postcards tomorrow (within the US) and I really hope they don’t break this time!

2 Likes

I put double the postage just to be sure. Since it was going to Germany I used 2 Forever Globals. I sent it out in my curbside mailbox just like usual.
I did contact the would-be recipient to say there was a non standard material card coming and that I’d check back in a month in case it didn’t make it.
She wrote me back a little over 3 weeks later to say it arrived just fine and that she loved it!
I hope you have the same good luck with it!

2 Likes

Good to know, thank you!

Update August 1, 2022 - the wooden postcard arrived intact!! It was so quick, too – only 3 days, including Sunday! Now I know to hand it over to the postal clerk to get it hand-canceled! I’m very glad they didn’t try to classify it as a parcel and charge me extra :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s super cool! I’d love a postcard like that!

2 Likes

Here is another wooden postcard that I mailed recently without an envelope. It arrived without any problem:

2 Likes

I have bought this postcard in wood at a museum. The receiver can take out the pieces and put together as a boat.

I will send this in an envelope whenever I decide to send it.

5 Likes