Do you make postcards by yourself?

I

love making and receiving handmade postcards. I made a few flower and abstract postcards and sent them out to different people.

Here are them:

3 Likes

I like to make and send and receive handmade cards (they are always unique!), but I try to send only to profiles which request them, or as private swaps. I put time and effort into making cards and I donā€™t want to send them to someone who wonā€™t appreciate them. I also try to match the subject matter to the receiverā€™s wishlist. If I donā€™t have something I think theyā€™d like, Iā€™ll just send a normal postcard.

I mostly paint mine with watercolors and so far theyā€™ve held up well and been well received, even when Iā€™ve sent without an envelope.

4 Likes

Hi all,
I too did few postcardsā€¦
Rather I converted my hobbyā€¦a bit of pencil art work into a post Cardā€¦
Sent to my friend tooā€¦
They liked it.

9 Likes

Add images

![IMG_20220925_002348|340x453](upload://u04bXdDVVkRVXOIzWlHeig49THk.jpeg)

Add images

5 Likes

Hi! I make my own postcards too, but I didnā€™t send it yet because Iā€™m afraid with the rain and the post Office.
I made it with acrylic paint and ink pen.
Do you recommend me some protection or it will arrive safe without it?

Thank you!!!

BƔrbara.

3 Likes

You can even mail a coconut or an orange as long as it has a valid address on it. I wonder if anyone has done that through Postcrossing.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure itā€™d count as shipping a ā€œpackageā€ rather that mailing a postcard though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Could be a problem fitting narrower mailboxes that only have a slit for letters, too :pinching_hand:

You could seal it! Modge podge, maybe? Iā€™m not well-versed in paint, maybe a waterproof protectant.

1 Like

Ha ā€“ I hadnā€™t thought of those things!

1 Like

My town that I live in is only 2,000 people so we donā€™t even sell postcards. I made two but only sent out my first one today because all of the user profiles before that stated ā€œno homemade cardsā€. Iā€™ve had to buy some off of Amazon, I guess that Iā€™ll look for cards when I travel. Hereā€™s two that I made of my town. I seal them with a watercolour sealant before mailing them.

12 Likes

I noticed underneath the profile settings it says as below, so if the guidelines allow handmade so be it?!
:information_source: Reminder: please use your profile to write about yourself . Making demands about what you want or donā€™t want to receive is not allowed by the Community Guidelines and may put your account at risk.

Both of your ā€˜handmadeā€™ postcards are beautiful! I would love to receive an artistic postcard!

Mod podge works wonderfully. Ive tested 2-3 coats on collage of postage stampsā€¦very low rate of damage.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve mailed things naked in the mail for swaps on swap-bot! Favorite one? Message In a Bottleā€¦shipping a water bottle full of goodies thru the mail. Postage attached to the bottle itself.

2 Likes

I paint all my cards and worried out the watercolours running. Sealants are expensive so I experimented with clear shoe polish. It smells for a couple of hours. Doesnā€™t leave a residue and works PERFECTLY for repelling water.

2 Likes

This is a fantastic idea! I will try It! Thanks a lot!

1 Like

But clear shoe polish doesnā€™t work on metallic pen ink as it smudges. Canā€™t figure out why though. I avoid using metallic pen on paintings. Rubbing beeswax over the dry watercolour works, too. Smells beautiful!! :smiley:

Aww how lovely, thank you @KimberKS :heart:

Iā€™ll try some samples first. I use acrylic paint and India ink.
At this moment, I put hairspray and it works. But I think itā€™s not very safe.

1 Like

Definitely experiment. I used hairspray all the time but tested it against wax based coatings and the hairspray was not permanent and colour lifted off. :grimacing: Hairspray is good for chalks and charcoal, though.

1 Like