Do you like to receive postcards from your own country?

Do you prefer to receive cards from your own country or rather from somewhere abroad?

4 Likes

Since the United States are so large, I appreciate cards from within the country as well.
Same was true for Germany, so many corners I haven’t been to yet.

6 Likes

I like postcards from anywhere! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am all okay with all postcards! Even selected the “receive and send also in your own country” on my profile, but so far that has resulted only one received card from Sweden.

I used to prefer only international cards, up to the point I wondered why anybody ever would be willing to receive Postcrossing cards from their own country, but nowadays I understand much better and also enjoy the cards from my country. That was years ago and I guess I just had such a strong will to get to be “international” :joy:

7 Likes

Yes I like the option but it rarely happens that I send inside CH. (0 sent/3 received)

Though I wouldn’t check this option if a third of my cards went to the same country (which happens anyway with Germany (but that’s another story)…) :crazy_face:

1 Like

I like to get cards from my country for it is very different from north to douth and from east to west. And I frequently get cards from my own country.

4 Likes

…I guess I’m the outlier here. :sweat_smile: I enjoy receiving cards from the US as a part of activities on the forum, but I keep my “official” Postcrossing preference set to outside my country.

6 Likes

I like to send and receive a mix of cards, including within my own country. One big advantage to in-country cards is that they are delivered much faster.

3 Likes

I’d like to practice English so I chose only postcards to/from abroad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which part of Switzerland are you from? We’re probably very close because I’m not far from Locarno and I’m “only” three hours away from Basel and Genève.

No you’re not ! I also prefer sending cards abroad.

But 1 in 500 cards from my own country, why not ? :smiley:

3 Likes

The French-speaking part.
But yes, we’re not far apart : 2h45 by train !
I’ve been a few times to Domodossola and once even nearer with the Centovalli railway to Locarno !!!

And as I live close to the French border, I sent just across the border (62 and 70 km) and received too (75 and 94 km) !!! :sunglasses:

Very nice :smiley: so you saw Valle Vigezzo if you took the Centovalli!

Of course! I like receiving postcards from here in the USA!

I do the same thing. I’m officially set to sending internationally. When I’m sending within the US for other swaps, the recipient actually knows they’re getting a US postcard so they won’t be disappointed that I’m not from Timbuktu.

I’ve seen profiles of Americans living abroad expressing annoyance with getting US postcards from people who write to them as if they’ve never lived in America before. I would suspect in the situation for domestic postcards, it would be equally annoying for some if they get messages assuming they’ve never been to a certain state before. I kind of want to avoid that awkwardness–because even if I talk about an obscure thing in my town, they may already know all about it because they’ve been to my town before even though it’s not mentioned on their profile.

Out of curiosity if someone adjusts their settings to send within the country, would basically anyone else in their country who has the same setting be fair game? Could the system give you the address to your next door neighbor? Or only people outside of your state/province/region?

1 Like

I’m set to get cards from my own country as well as internationally, and I’ve received a couple of cards from people living in the 50 - 100 mile range from me, as in “Hello! I drove through your town last week…” :grinning: Unusual, but kind of fun, actually.

4 Likes

same for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

No :slight_smile: Not within the same city.

2 Likes

well i just got 2 hurray messages this week from people in germany saying they’ve been to my town, so it’s not just with sending within the same country.
also, if i want to send to my own country i only get addresses from people who also want to send (and receive) within my country so it’s highly unlikely they would be annoyed? (well it wouldn’t make sense at least)
though to be fair i’m not that excited to get touristy cards from my own country but even then they really surprise me sometimes.