Do you like to receive postcards from your own country?

This is part of the reason I chose not to receive cards from the US–that’s too creepy for my taste. :grimacing:

Nope for me, sorry. I guess that is because I live in such a small country (Singapore), and there isn’t really much sights that I haven’t already seen.

I was tempted to check that box a few times, for the simple fact that local mail will arrive so much faster. But I ultimately decided against it, because for me, Postcrossing is about exploring other countries and cultures which I otherwise may not have the chance to.

2 Likes

I assume these people had previously made it clear that they are American expatriates. If so, it shows you how thoroughly some people read profiles. :joy:

2 Likes

Well, I’ve seen comments on the forums where people deliberately do not read profiles so they don’t have to deal with the stress of people with picky profiles. I think this is a case where one needs to have at least a cursory reading of someone’s profile. While you many not have a postcard to match a super specific subject, you could at least do the curtesy of writing a message that doesn’t completely miss the mark.

5 Likes

I believe I’ve always made it clear I’m an American in each of the countries I have lived in. I still get cards written as if I have never been to the US. If people are reading it, maybe they just forget by the time they sit down to write, I don’t know.

In any case, I have only set to send and receive in my own country once, and that was in the US. It was an unpleasant experience so I turned it back off. I may try it here, but I imagine it wouldn’t actually happen much since there aren’t that many active postcrossers.

2 Likes

At the moment I have sending and receiving from my own country activated. I sometimes turn it off but for now I think I will keep it that way. There are so many nice cards from Germany.

2 Likes

For the same reason, I get cards from Germany written in English … Oh well … It happens.

1 Like

The United States is huge. It’s like 50 countries in one; so yes, I do like receiving cards from my own country.

5 Likes

I read every profile. I don’t try to explain the United States. I stick to extremely local, the area where I live, or maybe California. But even California has enough differences in it to make describing it on a postcard practical.

4 Likes

If I tick this option, most of my cards are from Russia, because they arrive faster and my address is given to someone in Russia again. That’s not very interesting for me, so no, I don’t like to receive postcrossing postcards from my own country. But I do like it when my friends send me postcards :blush: and I like to write postcards to them too.

4 Likes

I like receiving from anywhere as long as the postcard and message seems interesting enough. Certain countries I’m interested in or even places I rarely think of is extra interesting. The United States still has a lot of things I’ve never heard of or explored.

2 Likes

I like to receive postcards from everywhere, no matter of a foreign or my own country. As there are rather few active postcrossers in Austria (compared to the US, Germany or some other countries), it doesn’t often happen that I receive/send a postcard from/to my country. But when it happens, I always enjoy it.

1 Like

When I became active again two months ago, I changed my settings to also receive cards from Germany. But I think I will uncheck it again sometimes soon.
I do like to receive cards from Germany, that’s not the problem. But here are so many postcrossers, whenever I ask for a new address chances are way too high to send a card to Germany.
Within two months I sent 6 cards to Germany and received 6 cards. That’s more than any other country since I started postcrossing. I really hoped for more variety :unamused:

1 Like

I’ve it turned it off, but my country has such few active postcrossers, that it probably wouldn’t happen anyway. I like using postcrossing instead of travelling here during the pandemic, so the farther away I can send cards to and receive cards from, the better :slight_smile: .

Yes, I do, even if it seldom happens and even if Finland is a “small” country. The idea that you can send or receive within your own country only if it’s big enough is funny to me. If I want to make someone happy by sending them a card, it doesn’t matter where they live or who they are. :slightly_smiling_face: And I haven’t been to everywhere in my country or know everything about Finland. :sweat_smile: I might learn something new from cards from Finland as well as from cards abroad. :postcrossing:

5 Likes

As I live in Germany I decided not to send or receive domestic cards. Although most Germans are very nice and Germany is a very diverse country there are way to much active postcrossers here that their cards would simply blow things out of proportion.

I like receiving postcards from everywhere. Why should my country be different? LOL But unfortunately, so far I haven’t yet sent to any Greek user, nor did I receive too

2 Likes

No, unless this next door is in another town.

1 Like

I really like recieving from and sending cards to the Netherlands! I immediately become super excited by the thought of becoming a penpal with that person. (Is that weird?? xD)

1 Like

Haha! Not weird. I actually love postcards from my own country too.
But I didn’t grop us here so maybe that’s why