Do you like decorated postcards?

Man, I dislike postcard “bling.” I’ve gotten two cards in the past few days that have been “bejewelled” – stuck all over with 3D plastic jewel stickers. While I appreciate the users’ enthusiasm, this sort of decoration ruins the card for me.

Any advice on how to diplomatically say on my profile that I’d prefer not to receive cards with this sort of decoration? Or should I just let it go?

(I know that really I should just let it go. It’s just such a shame about one of the postcards, which has a lovely art image that I’d otherwise keep. Thanks for the space to vent.)

1 Like

What about asking to avoid raised embelishments because they make it impractical for you to store or something like that?

5 Likes

It says a lot about the sender and their culture.
Its a different for of Freedom of Expression and I am all for it.

Personally, I prefer to know about the sender—where they’re from, what they’re passionate about, what they love about their home, and even the little details like whether they’re writing alone or with someone. These insights create a deeper connection, something that resonates through the written word. It’s like giving future archaeologists a snapshot of our social interactions—because, as humans, we crave connection and understanding.

But! That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate art. In fact, I’d be thrilled to receive a card that combines both—the personal stories and the personality expressed through decoration. Art communicates too, and when someone puts their heart into decorating a postcard, it becomes a piece of art that reflects who they are.

I’d love to receive a card that shows the sender’s creativity—a true work of art where time, effort, and soul were poured into it. To me, that’s another beautiful way to communicate and connect.

For example, who would NOT enjoy receiving this work of art from @Helga_postcrossing :

3 Likes

I thank you for your kind words :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love sending and receiving decorated postcards even if it is just a little sticker. Also I apperciate nice stamps.

1 Like

My stamps are huge and I usually have little space leftfor the message. I use stamps I find nice so it kind of counts as decoration to me.

It’s fun to do from time to time. I decorate if the person specifically mentions in their profile they enjoy decorations or for direct swaps, especially if I send a few cards in an envelope and there’s space left on them because of lack of stamps.

I’ve started exchanching handmade cards from time to time and then I use these decorations on the front side as a part of the “design”.