Do you feel cheated by a cheap viewcard?

I feel like I’m robbing someone else by giving a cheap viewcard, but I can’t find any postcard easily here in Malaysia… and many illustration postcards are too expensive for me to buy to sustain my hopefully ever growing stash. Sometimes this also means I’m unable to fulfill some wishes, since I don’t have that type of postcard in my stash/inventory.

So… do you feel cheated by a viewcard? Or nah, its fine? Or do you think its the writing that counts?

I’ll put up a poll but I invite you to give opinions in the replies.

• I prefer tourist viewcards
  • I don’t prefer tourist viewcards
  • Message/decoration matters to me more than image side

0 voters

7 Likes

For me, a lovingly chosen motif and beautiful text are more important than the price.

19 Likes

What is a cheap viewcard?
For example: they didn’t release any new postcards of my town since 1983, so the local museum gives them for free, which is lower than cheap.
But if somebody wrote that he wants to see my town in his profile, i respect the wish. I care more about following the profile than to give an equal price to all cards.

31 Likes

Basically a printed picture card of the local view that isn’t a special hand drawn design, target at tourist.

Example:

31 Likes

I can’t imagine I’d ever find a view card from Malaysia boring!

Sometimes what’s boring to you because you see it all the time is a treasure to someone who doesn’t get to experience it :slight_smile: It’s cool we get to exchange experiences.

74 Likes

Let’s face it: try to take a picture that looks like that: harder than your think.

23 Likes

The cards are perfectly fine. :+1: I would be happy to receive all the cards.
Some profiles explicitly ask for tourist cards.

21 Likes

Can’t recognize why these postcards should be cheap.

Instead I found it really cheap if I get only “Happy Postcrossing” or the replication of the profile content as a text, even if the postcard is wonderful and might be expensive.

42 Likes

You know, some people (like me) truly love these cards! This is exactly what I like to receive. For me a postcard = view, stamp and writing. Everything counts :heart_eyes:

29 Likes

Typically when a usual person thinks of postcards, viewcards are what comes to mind

Series cards and illustrations only come to mind when one becomes a Postcrosser :crazy_face:

Send viewcards. They’re a cheap way for other people to see your place (without the plane ticket!)

I personally send out many local viewcards, with the occasional switch up of themes when I get bored.

35 Likes

I would not feel cheated, those cards are lovely!

The price doesn’t matter at all.
Some have cheaper cards than others, some cheaper postage, some both, the sender can’t help in that.

Card like this are maybe the mostly wanted ones, as that is what many think when they think postcard - a view from the place. You are making many members really happy with these cards :hugs:

18 Likes

I think it’s also important to remember that postcrossing is about connecting people and not about collecting cards or only receiving requested cards:

All you “have to do” is send a postcard.
This helps me to stay relaxed about choosing cards.

Source: Help and F.A.Q.

25 Likes

I love those cards! I personally prefer tourist postcards and those are perfect!

9 Likes

Price don’t matter, a lot of viewcards are super pretty :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Coming to say viewcards are always a favorite of mine. The pictures are usually professionally taken and show something interesting or cool about the city or country!

8 Likes

I agree with @sisinje - I find it cheap if I get only “Happy Postcrossing” written on the card.

Viewcards are not my favorite, but if someone makes any meaningful attempt to connect with me or shows in the slightest that they looked at my profile or gave me any consideration, I feel very thankful. :heart:

10 Likes

No, I’m not disappointed with a view card.

2 Likes

They’re legitimately my favourite kind of card. They are the archetypal postcard and what I signed up hoping to receive :smiling_face:

10 Likes

Personally I don’t love view cards or tourist cards. I prefer animals or art. That being said if someone writes something meaningful to me (I give lots of fodder in my profile) then I’m happy regardless of the pic on the front

Btw, can’t you order cards from Amazon, Zazzle, etc? Just asking. I live in a tourist area, but get my cards via mail order

2 Likes

Im happy with anything :blush:

2 Likes