Do people like meetup cards?

Not to pry, but what, exactly, is a “barbarian profile” ?

I don’t attend meetups and I don’t like receiving postcards from them. I wrote it on my profile, but it still happens that someone does not pay attention to it. I know a lot of people collect meetup cards, so I don’t see any reason to send them to me if I I don’t value them that much. If I ever decided to take part in a meetup, I would rather keep a postcard with the signatures of the participants as a souvenir. I don’t see any reason to send it to someone to whom the signatures will say absolutely nothing. It’s a bit impersonal for me.

1 Like

Before I wrote on my profile that I am not interested in meetup cards, every time I received one, I kindly thanked for it… The postcard was not to my taste, but it was not the sender’s fault and I knew they meant well and many people love such postcards. But in reality my reaction was completely different. I know that a polite thank-you doesn’t always mean a positive reaction, but good manners. It is known that you do not always get something to your liking, because the PC is not about collecting, but about connecting. I actually still do that :blush:. Always say a nice and kind thank-you for every received postcard.

In my opinion, if you want to send meetup cards, you should send them to people who specifically write on their profile that they collect and like them. Why give them to someone who doesn’t appreciate them?

3 Likes

That’s right and I agree.

Nevertheless I think it’s a big different if one writes 1) “Thanks for your card” (or some like that) or 2) “Thank you so much for that fantastic card, I hope you had a great meetup” etc.

1: Could be everything between “fantastic” and “awful, but I’m too polite to tell the truth”

2: I guess this is clear: The recipient really liked the card - and this is what at least I wanted to say when I wrote “positive reaction”. Otherwise I would’ve written “no negative reactions” :slight_smile:

Edit: [quote=“satinification, post:43, topic:194759”]
Why give them to someone who doesn’t appreciate them?
[/quote]

This I don’t get somehow.
Do you really think just because one doesn’t mention a specific card theme on the profile they wouldn’t appreciate them? Maybe they just didn’t know it exists?

5 Likes

You made me realize that sometimes I may be too polite in order not to offend someone. I actually happened to write: “Thank you very much for the great postcard. Hope you had a nice time at the meetup.” And I am not one of those people who like such postcards :sweat_smile:. I just don’t like saying “Thank you” and that’s it. I always try to make the message to the sender a little more personal. And when there are only some signatures on the back of the card, it is difficult to write anything else. Now I can see that this can be misleading. Although, I am a writer so that can be my little quirk which does not apply to most people :wink:.

As for the second part, I just think it’s best to keep some postcards for collectors, because in their case you can be sure that they will be delighted with them. Of course, you may have a different opinion.

3 Likes

If the sender didn’t write anything more than their signature, I don’t see why you should write anything more than “thank you” :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Of course I don’t send meetup cards to people who don’t like them! But I don’t see why I shouldn’t send them to people who don’t mention them. It’s the same as with every type of cards, if the recipient doesn’t mention them I guess that they’ll be okay. Of course apart of topics like politics, dark humor, nudity…
I think you don’t have to elaborate about how much you like the card if that’s not true! But maybe I’m just being too German again - you know that they say we’re a bit too direct sometimes :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

I especially like the handwritten names or usernames on the meetup cards.

I have received some meetup cards and one of them has a handwritten signature of @meiadeleite and @paulo on it !! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, but this is up to you and. Why not telling the truth, or, as you don’t know the sender personally, a simple “thank you”. :slight_smile:
I think the truth is always more polite.

Well, my Italian family is much more direct as my German side, so I don’t think it’s a typical German thing.
And I personally think it’s a good thing to be direct and honest. It is much more helpful.

2 Likes

I completely agree with this but then if someone actually writes a more direct thank you message, we often see complaints in the forum about how the recipient was rude, ungrateful etc. Saying you didn’t like a card is not considered acceptable anymore, at least most of the time… And I mean saying that in a polite manner, and thanking the sender for the card, not being rude (because that IS unacceptable).

Still, judging what is and isn’t rude is also difficult - I’ve seen some very direct comments on the forum which I would have never written but the posters considered them normal for their country/culture (and I don’t mean Germany here).

5 Likes

That was the truth. I was grateful for the postcard, even if it wasn’t to my liking. I said it was great, not that I love it. And I really hope these meetups are fun for their fans. I don’t lie, I am just polite and don’t like to send (in my opinion) impersonal thank-you to everyone. I also saw many, many times people compalining that they send something extra special and got only “thank you” in response. But that’s a discussion for a different topic, isnt it? :wink:

Let’s just agree that some people love meetup cards, some like meetup cards but f. e. when they are sent with a more personal message, and some people don’t like them that much. I guess it is all the same with all kinds of postcards.

But there are many meetup collectors who will absolutely love them. I am pretty sure we have a tag game for them :blush:.

3 Likes

Personally, I like the cards with the Red/Blue Postcrossing on them. So, yes, I enjoy them.

As I saw meetup-cards first, I always thought they’re for the meetup in the country where the meetup is held only. Even when people like to trade them for other postcards in the forum.

But as I got my first two meetup-postcard in 2021, and one last year, I decided to add them to my profile (at the end).

I don’t make a difference to any type of postcards (Ads, free, handmade afor example). So I thought to add meetup-postcards to my profile can help other Postcrossers to send me any leftover meetup-postcards.

The bonus meetup-postcards have is, that you can’t buy them in stores or the internet. They limited in design and amount (I think) and I like to get them like normal postcards.

2 Likes

I don’t mind receiving meetup postcards. I find them interesting and enjoy that they are something different from the usual postcard. Having been to a few meetups now I appreciate the time and effort that goes into creating them and assume that those that attend and sign the postcards had as much fun at the meetups as I did.

I haven’t been to that many meetups, but I try to have some space on the cards free from signatures to be able to add a couple-three sentences, though depending on the number of people attending, that might be difficult. (Looking at you, Bielefeld!)
Furthermore I always leave a few meetup cards unsigned, so that I then can write a full length message. Some people appreciate that more than just a lot of signatures; but then others think that a meetup card without signatures is not a “real” meetup card. Sigh. Or, as my mother used to say: “Wie man’s macht, macht man’s verkehrt!” (Whatever you do, it’s wrong.)

1 Like

It depends on the cards. I have received quite a few of them with a card specialy designed for that meeting. I like those, although it would be nice if they wrote a little personal thing on it too.
A regular card with meeting stamps are not really my thing. But I don’t hate/dislike them as the card often fits my profile.

So I am a little on the fence about them.

Count me in as one who likes them! :+1:

1 Like

Count me as another! I think they’re pretty interesting!

1 Like

I’m glad people go to meeting and have fun, but I’m not a fan of the cards

6 Likes

I think meetups are interesting, but the postcards not so much.

4 Likes