Cute edges on stamps - Gutter Strips

Just wondering if other countries have these extra bits with tear off stamps?

They’re called gutter strips here , usually just colour dots like here

but I got some recently that have koalas on the edge which are super cute

So my questions…do you have this in your country? And what do you do with them?
As in do you sometimes include them on a postcard just for fun? (That is what I am doing with the koalas :koala:)

20 Likes

Most German (gummed) stamps come with decoration on these strips. If it is not one-coloured, I often include them! Sometimes they even include additional information (e.g. animal stamps have more information about the animals shown), sometimes they’re boring and sometimes they are pretty nice.

Examples

nice decoration:

additional information:

12 Likes

The Gruffalo ones are so pretty :heart_eyes: @Cassiopheia

2 Likes

I only use self-adhesive stamps. Some comes with extra little stickers in the margin.

24 Likes

Koalas on edge are super cute💓

There are two types of Japanese stamps: stamps that can be used with water and sticker type stamps. Many of the former have decorations on the edges. I use also this edge.
example with decorative edge

In the latter case, I can cut out the pattern by myself and sometime use it. Occasionally there are extra stickers.
example with no extra stickers

example with extra stickers

This is off topic, but …the color dots on the sheet sometime have a figure associated with the stamp, I like it.
example1(Toy story stamps)

example2

11 Likes

I also sometimes leave the edges on. However, if they are too big for the design of the postcard, I remove the edge.
There aren’t many blocks of stamps with a nice colorful border, but there are

11 Likes

I’ve used some already but these are the best I have found

34 Likes

I liked these:

25 Likes

If I’m attaching them to an envelope, I include them. It it’s a postcard, I remover them due to space issues. Ours do not have the dots and are not often decorative in Canada.

2 Likes

These are the best examples I could find in my stash of Royal Mail stamps. They’re too large to use on postcards, but I do save them.

14 Likes

China

图片
图片

16 Likes

These are so beautiful.

Stamps in China

8 Likes

The German Post shop sells Snoopy stamps.

There are two stamps one 70 cents (National postcard) and 90 cents. I removed the 90 cents for later use and decorated the free space.
There was really not much space left on the card, but I think a snoopy fan might like it anyway.

21 Likes

This is incredible!

1 Like

I sorted out my stamps this morning and found another good example.

6 Likes

I made this a year ago from a rather boring and plain postcard. The Eagle and the Cardinal are stickers, but the rest of the “decoration” are from gutter strips. I don’t like it, and will have to be fairly desperate to send it!

4 Likes

Uauuuu!! So lovely :blush: Do you think we may swap some philatelic itens? I would love to!
My themes are:

• Animals & Nature;
  • Astronomy & Space;
  • Arts;
  • Transports
    All the very best,
    Alexandra

Yea I sent you pm

By pm you mean this afternoon?
You’ll need my address, right :wink: