Custom made cards, acceptable?

Hi, I have an question about self-made cards too. When people say ‘no self-made cards’, do they mean they want cards that are store bought? Because I draw my postcards myself (blank postcard templates, they do have high quality paper and a postcard backside), but I always feel like the people wont appreciate my cards because they are still self-made. I do not have that big a budget tho, so this way I find a way to make cards interesting and in the subjects they are interested in so I always just kind of try for a little budget. Because you can buy a lot of those unprinted postcards for cheap and I do have the art supplies already.

1 Like

I believe they would count them as self-made. However, you can send whatever postcard you want. You don’t need to fullfil wishes, they are just general preferences and Postcrossing is about randomness :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, that sums it up correctly.

I had a glimpse at your sent cards and would be happy to recieve such a unique piece. :slightly_smiling_face:

Some members think of cut-out pictures, photos sent without a sturdy paper backing, recycled greeting cards, or food package if they talk about not liking self-made cards. You even use postcard templates designed to be a postcard! Perhaps someone rejecting self-made cards will even like your self-drawn cards. So, even though not everyone will appreciate them, you’re free to send them. They’re perfectly fine (and within the rules).

P. S. : Here they’ll be appreciated for sure! :blush:
https://community.postcrossing.com/t/handmade-postcards-choose-a-subject-tag/6238

2 Likes

Thank you @cassisia and @hankadl!

2 Likes

I’ve never quite understood the point of making that distinction… ^^° That is: I design my own postcards, and send them when they seem thematically fitting to a recipient’s profile. (I have them professionally printed, on thick cardboard and with ‘real’ postcard backside, so, I think they’re fine quality-wise.) Of course, if someone says, “no self-made cards”, I don’t send them. I respect the recipient’s wishes! However - does that mean if someone buys one of my postcards, say, at some art fair, and sends them, the same recipient would be fine receiving that card from someone else?!? I don’t quite get it - but, whatever… :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

This is exactly why I state in my profiel that my least favourite cards are self crafted ones. I hope by this to exclude self printed once (if they have a good quality). I just don’t like if people glue things together. People give so much time and love into those cards (well sometimes unfortunately not all all but I guess this is the exception) and I would rather have them send these cards to people who appreciate them but me (however if I receive such a card I say thank you without complaint.

My point is I try to differentiate those printed ones that show a picture the sender took in good quality and the ones that people spend hours gluing together themselves.

Once I did receive a picture showing the sender in some touristic spot. I must admit this I found ab it odd.

I think its fine if its a professionally printed photo or if a professional artist watercolors on postcard stock (available at art stores), but cut up food pkgs or just sickers & washi tape on an index card should not be used for officials. I’m sure those are fine for trades & tags seeking hand made items

…actually, I’d be perfectly fine with that from non-professional artists, too. More than fine! I mean - it doesn’t get nicer and more personal than that… Of course, it’s not appropriate when sending to someone who specifically collects published postcards, but otherwise? Nice!!!

…actually, I once got to send to someone who specifically requested that - like, someone who really wants to recieve pieces from foreign food packages! A bit of an unusual request, but, of course, I was happy to oblige. But otherwise… I mean, without that specific prompt, who does that?!?

2 Likes

Different people like different things. I once sent a food package postcard because the receiver requested it. It was very well-received.

Indeed! I’d think that anything the receiver specifically requests is fine to send (as long as it doesn’t break any laws, of course) - and, I mean, some people are interested in really odd things, but… That’s fine. :slight_smile: You see some interesting requests on Postcrossing.

1 Like

I don’t think you have to honour requests. I think so long as what you are sending is a postcard (single piece of thick paper with two sides without an envelope) that you are doing what you are supposed to do. There is no obligation to even read profiles, although I personally doing so.

1 Like

True - you don’t have to. In some cases, it’s not even possible to honor a very specific request! (Not everyone has a large enough blank card collection to be able to fulfill requests like ‘I collect 19th-century black-and-white photos of a pangolin’s left hind leg’. It’s not even remotely reasonable to expect that kind of thing, either!) I still think it’s polite to at least read the profile, choose the closest approximation to that person’s interests available to me, and write a short friendly message. It’s not against the rules to send a randomly chosen card (or, indeed, simply a piece of paper in the correct size) with only the address, the ID and maybe a “Happy Postcrossing” on it… But, I don’t think it’s very nice, either.

5 Likes

I would not send a piece of paper, (to my understanding it is against the guidelines) at least the thin type one, or what I think with this word in my language. I have received a piece of paper and I didn’t have to register it. So sending pieces of paper is risky that way. I think no one should (register a piece of paper) when it’s a long time member who knows what postcrossing is. I also received a photo printed to paper, but it was new member, then it’s ok to register, and they are told to maybe print to a sturdier material.

But otherwise yes, all cards are acceptable.
If I wouldn’t read the profile, I would at least view their possible phobia. Still even that is more than asked, because sending a card is enough.

Surprisingly many like food package cards, which is lovely, as they require so little, but I think here food is not sold in boxes most often so I can’t send such. But now I know to keep a box, if I have pretty one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve made a few postcards based off pictures I’ve taken. I try to capture local themes from my sleepy Texas suburb and other aspects of my life.

Like this view of a farm trail at the barn where we stable our horse:

And this shot of a battered street sign close to my house:

I made the mistake of getting the cards printed through Walmart, and the card quality wasn’t good. The card back was too glossy, and ink smudged easily. The next batch I order will be through MOO (I have a rather photogenic cat).

1 Like

I’ve sent cards made from food packages before (not here, on another card exchange site), and they worked great. I’ve used cereal boxes and the cardboard cases used for canned drinks:

Um, I do. :smiley:

Yes, I know they work as the package often is sturdy. (While paper is not.)
But I think boxed food is not so common here. Like canned drinks are mostly sold as one or in plastic.
I don’t drink these much so I don’t know. I think here drink in a bottle is more common.
But then there is huge packages, which are almost “too sturdy”, thicker than cardstock, actually, you can see:

or then packages are too small to make a card fully out of it, here you see I needed to take the folds to make it postcard size.

1 Like