Custom made cards, acceptable?

Postcrossing is not a site for postcard collectors, but primarily a site for people who want to learn about other people who might live on the other side of the world. which is not to say that one should not collect and enjoy the postcards received. So what could be nicer than a postcrosser who does the work of designing his own card and showing the card recipient his own environment with his own photos. These people understood poscrossing correctly. I can only say: Have courage and keep it up.:grinning:

14 Likes

Thank you everyone for your guidance and support.

I have learned alot from yourselves and from looking at other posts, this forum really is a mine of information.

I have done more research with a printing company and was originally going to get 100 cards printed of one design but have now found that I can get 200 cards (50 each of 4 designs) for not alot more. I local shop has also expressed an interest of selling some.

I am awaiting a sample to arrive and if all is well I shall order some. Every so often I can get more designs printed and maybe even earn some of the costs back by selling the spares.

11 Likes

I do custom-made Postcards using a thermal photo printer and the quality is great, including the classic postcard back. Cheers from Mexico!

1 Like

There are many members here and no one single definition of the activities, motives, or goals. I respectfully disagree that there is one “correct understanding”

You made me curious. I’ve learned that thermal printing fades over time.This happens with receipts, for example, because they are printed on thermal paper. How’s the durabitily of your postcards?

One of mine

4 Likes

Hello, Meylinhares,

The thermal prints are just the same quality of any fast photolab, and they suppose to last up to 100 years. Of course that if they are exposed to the sunlight they will fade very soon.
Try and you will see :slight_smile:

Cheers from Mexico!

1 Like

Hello, don’t worry about this. I have almost the same problem as you. The city about 30 kilometers away from my city is the provincial capital. I can easily find the postcard of the provincial capital, but I can’t find the postcard of my city. So I also chose to find a company to print some by myself, just like you. :smile:

2 Likes

Yes, they would be acceptable to me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome @Alba_jam , I’m new here too.

I read the profile and try to send whatever the best fit for their likes is in my collection. Some people mention they don’t like homemade postcards and are more of collectors with a list of dislikes, so I just save the homemade ones for the users I think will really enjoy it. Sometimes I put store bought postcards in homemade envelopes with flat goodies if I think they will like it. Making things homemade takes time but I enjoy it, plus I know they won’t have another one like it. I don’t want to send something that took time to someone I think won’t like it. I send those users a store bought one.

3 Likes

I have just ordered a few postcards from my own photos via Zazzle, which were a bit costly, but will be good for profiles saying “no tourist cards, please” or to other Florida members who wouldn’t appreciate the local scenes I usually send.

Here is one example:

5 Likes

Welcome to Postcrossing! In my hometown,there’s also no nice tourist cards of the neighbourhood,so I’ve decided to take my own photos and let them print as a postcard.
It gives me a lot of fun during my walking and biking tours to search for nice photos for Postcrossing in this way, and the printed postcards are just the same good quality as many “normal” ones. Anyway, what’s a postcard? For me, if it looks like a postcard, smells like a postcard, and has been sent to me by mail, then it IS a postcard.
By the way, maybe a bit of advice for you (if you want any, feel free to ignore it) I never let print more than 10 postcards of the same picture, I’ve found a printing company that also gives discount when I order, say, from different photos 10 postcards each. The more photos in 1 order, the cheaper they become… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think they’re totally legitimate as postcards. I’ve seen high and low quality ‘official’ postcards and many that appear to have been made the same way i.e. images turned into postcards by a printing company. Really, aren’t they all?!

I’d much rather receive images of places and things that a local finds interesting than generic and boring repetitive ones. I’m also confused as to why anyone would have a problem with this.
Happy creating!

3 Likes

I would especially appreciate a homemade card for the thought and creativity that has gone into it… ell done you!

1 Like

I made cards through Zazzle many years ago and they were well received. Like you, I can find all the cards I could want of Melbourne, but nothing for my town. I just had a look at my image files and the town has changed so much I might head out with my camera and get some new images.

I don’t tend to send them to people who specifically mention they won’t enjoy “own photo” cards, but otherwise they’re great I reckon. I want to show off my smallish town!

2 Likes

Thank you Grumpy_Milky and a welcome to you too and best wishing Postcrossing !

I’m fairly new too. I enjoy the variety of cards I receive & send. If you send 50 of the same cards, that’s a lot of repetition on your sent wall ! maybe you won’t mind that, I admit I would find that a bit boring.

1 Like

Yes I would accept them

Don’t put the cards that you think are awful in the recycling bin. I have come across many profiles that would like “ugly” cards. I personally have sent a couple cards that I thought were substandard to those profiles. I myself love ALL postcards especially handmade or custom made. I have made several cards from my own photos of beautiful landscapes, wildlife and many other interesting photos. I usually try and send a card that is on their want list, but sometimes I just don’t have that certain card, so they receive the card I choose and hope they like it. For me personally it is about the message written. That being said I enjoy when they have used a pretty stamp or postcard from my likes, which I consider a bonus! Private message me your address if you would like to receive a custom made card from me.

1 Like