Countries where (some of the) post offices are open on Saturday / Sunday

Sorry for opening a new topic for asking this question – It’s for the Stamp Out War project that flourished on Postcrossing –

Do you know any country where a post office is open on Saturday or Sunday?

Open on Saturday:

• Australia (half day)
  • Austria (reduced hours)
  • Belarus
  • Canada (concessionaire post offices affiliated with pharmacies, grocery store, etc., usually in urban centres)
  • Chile
  • China
  • Costa Rica
  • Egypt
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong (half day)
  • India (half day)
  • Italy (half day)
  • Japan (central post offices in most cities)
  • Netherlands (most)
  • Poland (less and less)
  • Russia (some)
  • Serbia
  • Singapore (half day)
  • Switzerland (reduced hours)
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Turkey (in some urban centres)
  • UK (concessionaire post offices inside stores)
  • US

Open on Sunday:

• Algeria
  • Belarus (reduced hours)
  • Canada (concessionaire post offices affiliated with pharmacies, grocery store, etc., usually in urban centres)
  • China
  • Finland
  • Hong Kong (the General Post Office)
  • India (those at railway stations)
  • Japan (central post offices in most cities)
  • Netherlands (some)
  • Russia (some)
  • Serbia (main post offices in big cities)
  • Singapore (two are open)
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • UK (concessionaire post offices inside stores)
  • US*

Any other country we can add to the list?

4 Likes

IndiaPost opens on Saturdays
Some post office at railway stations are also opened for 24×7

1 Like

In the Netherlands most post offices are open on Saturdays, some are also open on Sundays

1 Like

Japan of course! Central post offices (and major secondary ones) in most cities will be open 7 days a week but those in smaller cities may have limited hours on Sundays.

1 Like

Sunday in US is a mixed bag…the service window is closed and maybe the lobby area where po boxes are located. They deliver parcels sometimes, but not letters. You can buy stamps at big grocery stores.

1 Like

In Poland there are post offices open on Saturdays, though less and less.

In my city there was one open 24/7 but this has changed recently. Not sure if it still works on Sundays but with shorter hours, or if Sundays have been discontinued.

1 Like

On the main USPS.com website, you can go to “Locations” on the top or hover over “Quick Tools” and then click on “Find USPS Locations” and under the two search boxes (Find a Location & Location Type), there are some filters. One of those filters that you can click on is “Sunday Hours” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

USPS:
Until the 1990’s collection services were 365/7 in cities and larger towns (and even some small ones) and mail would be postmarked and processed as any other day. Big cities would have at least one post office open 365/24/7 with full counter service. New York City’s GPO was like that until about the early 2000’s. Now it has limited Sunday counter service hours and nothing is processed until the next business day. I believe the Church Street and Grand Central offices also had counter service 365 days a year though not 24 hours but late into the night like midnight, if I remember correctly. That ended about 20 years ago and there is no counter service at all Sundays and holidays. The working day hours are also much shorter. Some small branches in NYC no longer open on Saturdays. Also 24 hour PO Box access appears to have been discontinued except at the GPO (aka the Farley building and now Moynihan Train Station).
I have also noticed some small town post offices are closed on Saturdays now. Also some collection boxes have no Saturday clearance listed even in a big city like New York.

2 Likes

In England

The bigger “major” post offices are open usually around 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday,
but you can find smaller post offices open until like 9pm if they are located inside a newsagent for example on the weekends as well.

1 Like

Postoffice open on Saturday but registeration and other work happens only till 1PM

3 Likes

Post offices in Peru are opened on Saturdays too, but not on Sunday.

1 Like

Some post offices in Russia are open on Saturday and Sunday

1 Like

Hello! I live in Russia, in a small Siberian city with a population of just over 40 thousand people. We have only two post offices. One of them is closed on Sunday. But the second post office is open every day, seven days a week (on Sunday they have a short day, until 16:00). But don’t worry about the employees, they still have two days off. They just work on a shift schedule.

1 Like

In Austria (some?) post offices are open on Saturdays until noon. They are not open on Sundays, except, I think, the main post office (unless that has changed, my knowledge is a bit “vintage”! :wink:).

1 Like

In Switzerland, most Post Offices are open reduced hours on Saturday. Some (very few) open on Sundays (Without looking everywhere, I found at least one in Zürich.)

1 Like

Many post offices are open on Saturdays in Germany.

In my experience most UK post offices that are inside stores eg newsagent and grocery, are open at least till midday on Saturday. As are many standalone Postoffices like the one in my village.
My guess is that the timing of closure may depend on the time of the last Saturday collection.

The Main Post Office in Minsk is open the whole week, it just has a shorter working hours on Sunday

In Singapore I believe most of the post offices are open for a half day on Saturday

For Sunday, only two are open - Orchard PO and Jurong Point PO

https://www.singpost.com/list-of-post-offices

Serbian post is opened on Saturday, and the main post offices in the biggest cities are opened on Sunday as well.

1 Like