Compare the cost of sending a postcard in your country with other goods

Hello.
It seemed that such an issue could be attractive to others.
In our country, the cost of sending a postcard is 3900 Rials.
With this amount, you can buy a liter of gasoline or a lollipop. To buy chips or snacks, you have to spend as much as sending two postcards. :))

I hope this price does not increase in the distant future.

8 Likes

Hey,
Well an international card costs 0.95 € in Germany.
Two postcards almost equals a liter gasoline or a package butter.
One postcard is a package of gummibears or a bar of chocolate. You can get a liter milk for one postcard.
Round about :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi ARS6161

In UK to send a post in country is £0.85 or to another country it is £1.70. A litre of petrol/gasoline is currently £1.53, an average chocolate bar is about £0.80 and to buy a basic tourist type post card is £0.25.

3 Likes

Howdy! In Seattle, Washington, USA, I bought a tourist postcard for $0.35; to mail one internationally costs $1.30; a package (one pound) of cheap butter (one pound = .453 kg) is $3.99; gas was about $4.25 gallon (one gallon = 3.785 liters).

1 Like

Interesting thread. Sometime I wonder too how affordable postcrossing activity is in foreign countries

Sending a card internationally cost Rp.6000 (USD 0.42) to Rp.8000 (USD 0.56) per card. Depends on the destination. Tourist card sold offline here is a bit pricey : around Rp.8000 to Rp.20,000 (USD 1.39) in shopping mall souvenir floor. Totally not worth it lol. So I mostly buy my cards online with only around Rp.4000 (USD 0.28) to Rp.6,500 (USD 0.45) / piece

With around Rp.6000 you can’t get a litre of gasoline but with Rp.8000 you can. A litre of rice (yes we can bought rice in litre measurement here :joy:) is around Rp 9000, ¼ kg of egg cost about Rp.7000. With Rp.6000 you can buy 2 pieces of local instant noodles or a 1.5 litre bottled water. You can buy street food snacks too with Rp.6000

I use the comparison with buying basic needs, to show that for many Indonesians this hobby can be expensive. Since they can spend the money more for their daily needs. The prices written above are for Indonesians who live in Java. For those who live in other islands such as Sumatra, Borneo, Sulawesi, and the far east : Papua, daily needs can be more expensive!! (Could be also the factor why most of Indonesian postcrossers are also located in Java Island, beside Java Island is the most populated island in Indonesia)

Exchange rate used : 1 USD = Rp.14,336

2 Likes

in my area, you can buy postcards any where from $0.30 - $2.00 USD (not counting online stores).

international postage is currently at $1.30 USD and domestic it is $0.40 USD (if all i have are forever stamps or am sending an oversized card, i will over pay with $0.58 USD or w/e is needed)

altogether, you can get away with sending a postcard for less than or close to a cup coffee (which ranges from $2.00 - $5.00USD, depending on where you go) or a snack size bag of chips (1oz / 28g).
definitely not the most affordable hobby for a lot of folks, but it is something i enjoy and find personally worth it because i like connecting with people from around the world.

3 Likes

A postcard by CalScene of local San Diego landmarks. Cost 50 cents a piece at CVS Pharmacy in downtown.

A postcard 5x7 by PCFGifts with San Diego landmarks cost 48 cents at WalMart in National City.

International postage is 1.30

Domestic postage for a postcard is 0.40 cents

With 1.30 you can get this can of sweet iced tea by Arizona brand. In California, you’d pay 5 cents extra for bottle tax. In total. 99+5=1.04 and you’d get 26 cents change.

If you are a senior or someone with a disability (the bus company counts someone who can’t walk, can’t hear or can’t see as disabled) you can get a one way ride on the city bus with MTS for the price of 1.25. And have 5 cents left over. In San Diego.

2 Likes

Here in Orlando, most of the postcards I can buy are around $1.00 each, plus $1.30 international postage for a total of $2.30. At my local grocery (Publix) some things I can buy for around this amount are:

a 5 ounce can of Pringles ($2.31)
a 13 ounce bag of mint candies ($2.77)
a 5 ounce can of sunflower seeds ($2.31)
a bag of 5 small bagels ($2.21)
a small box of Little Debbie cakes ($2.87)
a small loaf of store brand bread ($2.65)

This does not include sales tax or if, like me, you get your groceries delivered, any delivery fee or tip for the shopper.

2 Likes

In China, it costs 5 Yuan to send a postcard to another country. The price of petrol is 7.9 Yuan per liter now. And you can buy 500-gram apple or 1-liter coca-cola in Beijing. But since the price you buy stamps online is cheaper than the postage it is printed on the stamp it will cost less.
Btw, a cup of Starbucks is about 25-35 Yuan.

5 Likes

Well, it seems chocolate is cheap in Europe , lolipop is expensive in Iran.
Coca-cola is more expensive than petrol in China :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Malaysia’s postcard rate is 90 sen, which can buy you 0.9 bottles of 125ml sprite, or 1 piece of kuih

Normal airmail costs a lot more though, which starts at RM7.20 to non Asia-Pacific locations, the price of a fried rice, and probably plus a beverage if you’re living in a rural area.

2 Likes

In the Netherlands, it costs 1,55 euro to send a postcard internationally. An average postcard price in a store might be 1 euro or 80 cents.

For 1,50 euro, I can buy two liters of milk at the Aldi (the cheapest supermarket. A small bag of chocolate easter eggs is 1,79 euro. A frozen pizza is 2.99 euro. The smallest Starbucks frappucino is € 3,55.

1 Like

In India, price of postcard is around Rs 15 and international postage is Rs 12. So, total ranges between Rs 25-30.

With that money, I can buy 2/3 biscuit chocolate bars or half a litre of milk . Petrol is very costly though, it costs Rs 110 per liter of petrol.

2 Likes

Sending a postcard within the country costs 18 rubles + the cost of the postcard itself is 15 rubles, for a total of 33 rubles. This is the price of a baguette.)
But sending a postcard or a letter (no more than 20 grams) abroad by land transport will cost as much as 1 liter of gasoline, air mail is 5 rubles more expensive.

2 Likes

I usually pay ¥3.5(CNY, $0.56USD)for stamps of each postcard.(This price is for ground and sea transportation.) And ¥5/$0.79 for air transportation.
And the price of petrol is ¥9.36/$1.47 per liter today. ¥3.74/$0.59 for a liter of Coca Cola at least.
So it cost me a liter of Coca Cola to mail a card abroad. But the petrol is so expensive.
The price of the petrol is quite low in Iran…

2 Likes

And ¥0.35/$0.06 for a lolipop.:blush:10 lolipops equal 1 card.

1 Like

Are the prices of sending cards abroad different between different islands?

1 Like

Asia Pacific including Australia is Rp 6000. Europe, Africa, Western & Central part of Asia + New Zealand is Rp 7000. And Rp 8000 to the Americas

And this is national prize (subsidized by the government), so the price is the same wherever in Indonesia you’re.

1 Like

In Germany, the postage for an international postcard is 0,95€ (about 1$).

For this price, you get a 200g pack of Haribo, or 1 litre milk, or 1 liter orange juice, or 1/2 kg bananas, or 1 box of paper tissues. Or 1 pack of store brand cat snacks. :wink:

A card bought in a shop is between 0,60€ (tourist cards in small lotto shops), 0,80€-1€ (tourist cards in the old town) and 1,20€-1,50€ (stationary shops or local artists). That’s why I also buy online, at thrift shops, or postcard calendars / books.

So a tourist card sent internationally costs about 1,70€. For this price I can buy 1/2 a loaf of bread at the bakery, or 100g of ham or cheese, or 1 can of deodorant spray.

Edit: sorry, I didn’t see the answer from Germany, so it’s partly a repetition… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I mean that does postcards from Sumatra need more money than postcards from Java?:face_with_monocle:
Or why can daily needs be more expensive in other islands?

1 Like