Compare the cost of sending a postcard in your country with other goods

I pay 1.65 € (≈ 1.80 $) to send an international postcard.
It’s approximately the price of two liters of milk or two baguettes :thinking:

The price of card sent from Sumatra, Java, Papua and other parts of Indonesia is the same :blush: . Price depends on the destination not where it’s from.

Indonesia is heavily centralised country with many industries are centered in Java Island, this makes many prices outside Java Island can be more expensive

This is a funny example, if I buy items from China, the cost of delivery is only Rp 9000. But if I buy items from other part of Indonesia that’s outside Java island, the cost of delivery can be above Rp 30.000 . I live in the capital (in Java Island). This is on e-commerce store :joy: .An example of how infrastructure and transportations in our country are still far from good

In Italy it depends on where you have to send your postcard to. To Italy it costs € 1.10, to Europe 1.15, to Asia, Africa, and America 2.40, to the rest of the world 3.10.
For comparison, a liter of gasoline costs € 2.25; 500 gr of pasta cost 0.89, and a Kg of bread costs about 5.

In Czech Republic we distinguish sending inside CZ, inside Europe and oversea. The cheaper stamp for 50g mail inside CZ costs 19 Kč, inside Europe costs 39 Kč. The stamp for 50g mail to oversea costs 45 Kč. (Kč = CZK)

For example, for the money for stamp for mail inside of Europe you can usually buy 2 liters of milk plus one or two the most ordinary round rolls.

Do you also distinguish between sending inside of Europe and oversea? Or do you just have one cathegory for international sending?

1 Like

We have just one category for all international postcards.

Sending them in Germany costs 0,70€.

2 Likes

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Summary

I learnt the geography of Indonesia at school several days ago, and I knew that there are so many islands in Indonesia. I marveled at their beauty, but I ignored the inconvenience this situation brought… Of course it needs more money to deliver things between islands. There seems to be no better way but sea transportation. Fortunately it won’t cost more money to send cards from other islands!
I know Java’s population density is quite high. But why don’t people live in Sumatra or other islands? I think that the climatic conditions on other islands are also quite good. It’s only because that Jakarta is on Java Island?(I am sorry that it seems not to be a Postcrossing question but I am curious about it)
Indonesia is such a beautiful country. I am sorry that the cards could not be delivered to China from Indonesia☹️

True it’s off topics :joy: .

So I'll hide my answers for you here

People live in other islands but the great proportion of the population live in Java Island. Transmigration (from Java island to other less populated islands) was a program during new order era (1965-1998), but it wasn’t that popular because it was badly managed and there were few cases where conflicts among ethnicities happened. Plus nobody really wants to move to other island and live in place where infrastructures aren’t that great yet, and the prices for basic needs could be higher. Gladly there has been a lot improvements too outside Java :raised_hands:

Sadly right now the postal service to China from Indonesia is closed, both surface mail and airmail. I’ve managed to send cards to @ PCcai in China a month ago but it was when the surface mail was still open. With the condition of COVID is getting more under control, tourism is back on business and few international events are going to be held in Indonesia, I hope the postal service will be fully back on business and open more air mail service :crossed_fingers:t2:

I could be glad, prices are rising for many things locally, and also with prices of few postal services in many countries, Indonesian postal service keeps their tariffs stable :raised_hands:

In Kazakhstan postal rates increased recently. Current postcard rate 500 kzt surface and 600 airmail.
So for 500 kzt in Kazakhstan you can buy:
2+kg of potato
or
2 baguettes
or
2 kg of sugar (prices increasing now)
or
1 pack of cigarettes (something like Marlboro)
or
2 bottles of beer
or
3+ liter of petrol
And many other stuff. 500 kzt here still have value to buy something. Can’t say our food prices cheap compared to most people income but if to talk about postcard rate 500 kzt it’s insane. Before January it was 140 kzt.

9 Likes

Oh, it’s really insane.

So fun reading all the answers.

Here the sales tax is 11.5%

I can get a touristic postcard for .50cents average
International postage $1.30

Approximately $1.80-$2.00 for a card without sales tax.

1 litter of milk cost $3.60
1 litter of gasoline $1.10
Cereal box $5.00

I can probably buy 3 pounds of rice :rice: for 1 postcard or deluxe chewing gum.

1 Like

Love to read all the answers so far!

In Canada, tax is 13% in most provinces.

A postcard at the museum is $0.99 but with taxes it’s $1.13. I’ve seen others up to $4.50 each in touristy areas…
To send a postcard internationally, it is $2.71 but with taxes it’s actually $3.06
Estimated total to send 1 postcard = $4.19 to $7.56 CAD

The price of a litre at the closest gas station right now including taxes already is $1.689/L
A 4L bag of milk here is $5.39, so $1.35/L.
2 loaves of 675g sandwich bread is $4.50.

You must be in Ontario. Actually, Ontario is the only province or territory with 13% sales tax. It’s 15% in Atlantic Canada and 5% everywhere else.

But I’m off topic, I realize.

I think that sending international mail here in Canada is quite expensive. For $2.71, in New Brunswick, a small coffee and a donut would cost less.

Postcards seem to average $0.75 here.

1 Like

In Brazil, it costs between R$ 1.75 to R$ 2.60 to send a postcard.

1 litre of milk costs around R$ 4.70
1 litre of gasoline costs around R$ 7.00
Minimum wage R$ 1,212.00/month

2 Likes

Gas is still cheaper than a liter of milk which recently increased to almost $5! Gas prices are in liters. Americans get excited when they see the gas prices here, they think it’s in gallons like in the USA. :rofl:
1.26 liters= 4.76 gallons

1 Like

:smile:That’s an interesting topic. (1NZD=0.62USD)

In New Zealand, sending a postcard internationally less than 10g costs 3NZD, over 10g costs 3.8NZD.

With this price we can buy 1L gasoline / 2L milk / 1.5L Coca-Cola / 1 Cucumber / 1 Capsicum / Half cabbage / Half eggplant / Half celery…

1 Like

Hello from Missouri in the Midwest USA.

As others have noted, postage for domestic postcards is 40¢ and $1.30 for abroad.

Many have compared these prices to fuel/gas/petrol. But my wife and I drive electric cars so how about looking at electricity prices instead?

Where we live, we pay about 13¢ per kWh of electricity (which is about 60% renewable) at the moment. So domestic postage is equal to 3 kWh and international is 10 kWh of electricity.

We can drive ~3 miles per kWh. So I can drive 9 miles for the price of a domestic stamp and my wife Jillian can drive 30 for the price of an international stamp.

Another way of looking at this is via wages:

US federal minimum wage is only $7.25. So someone living in a state without a state-mandated higher minimum wage like Alabama, Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina might struggle to do post crossing, working a whole hour for only 5 international stamps (before taxes)

Missouri minimum wage is $11.15.

I hope this offers a different perspective. Fun topic!

3 Likes

It’s an interesting comparison against wages…
In UK an international postage stamp is £1.90, and the minimum wage is £9.50 per hour, so it’s five stamps to the hour.
You could probably find 4 postcards for 1.90 if you hunt around, so it’s 4 Postcrossing cards for one hours work.

For those who prefer petrol /gasoline comparisons, it’s one stamp to a litre! (1 US gallon is 3.785 litres)

US postage rates are going up later this week. They wiil be 44 cents for domestic postacard and $1.40. To mail a large (over 10x15cm) postcard, it costs the letter rate which will be 60 cents domestically, no change for international.

In Kansas, I can buy a single Lindor/Lindt truffle for a US postcard stamp. For $1.40 I can buy a standard size chocolate bar, a .5 liter bottle of Coca-Cola, or a 2 liter bottle of store brand cola at the grocery store.

1 Like

A interesting way to compare. :face_with_monocle:
The highest minimum wage here is ¥25.3 CNY/$3.77 USD (in Beijing), and a international card with stamps costs ¥3.9($0.582)~¥10($1.4923). It’s truly not a affordable hobby for some people.:confused:

1 Like