[Chat] Pull up a stump and set a spell, pop by for a cuppa and natter

Thankfully I managed to rescue it, I heated the sticker with a hairdryer & it peeled off :grin::grin::grin: it left a little bit of glue, but I can live with that x

6 Likes

It says security inspection passed and the location, but goodness knows why they chose to stick it there!

3 Likes

Has anyone ever used the Repeated Countries feature? Iā€™ve been considering using it but would be interested in other peopleā€™s experiences. Iā€™m wondering if I used it whether all my cards would go to the exact same country or whether, Iā€™ll draw several addresses to one country in a row, then several to another etc.

1 Like

Thank you :blush: I canā€™t imagine why a postcard needs a security inspection, thereā€™s nothing hidden! x

2 Likes

I have used it @geo_, but I got so many Russian and German addresses I got bored and turned it offā€¦ I mean I get a lot anyway without that option on!

6 Likes

I used to have it switched on, but when a lot of countries stopped sending to Russia, nearly every single card was going there, so i switched it off!

6 Likes

I only ever use it in January as many German Postcrossers are due lots of postcards after that charity thingy they do leading up to to Christmas,

ā€¦but like the others above have said, just end up with lots of Russia.

7 Likes

I have it on and have done most of my time on the site. I find most cards at the moment end up going to Germany and not nearly so many but still quite a few to USA and Russia.

1 Like

I had this on for ages - Germany great as post fast until I reached the point all were travelling to Russia and Belarus :snail: so slowly :snail: I had no slots free for weeks ! so I took it off.

7 Likes

I dread to think how many of my cards would end up going to Russia if I turned on repeating countries - Iā€™ve got 12/32 travelling there so far - all under 60 days old.

6 Likes

Oof!

Hi All :wave:t3:

Can I interest anyone into taking the last spot on the BITE 98 - Worldwide Maxi a BITE for Maxi cards from the British Isles and other countries. Iā€™d love to get it sent out this week :postbox: x

2 Likes

@MoominMog this sounds like so much fun and Iā€™m very envious. Please can we have a Midlands-Australia Travelling Envelope?

1 Like

We could always detour to Australia @EmmaG :rofl:. @plushmail has a lot of beautiful maxicards :love_letter::australia:

1 Like

Ha ha, it might add a few months to its journey though! :uk: :snail: :australia: x

1 Like

I think I have shared with a few how much I love vintage cards.
This incredible collection is a 27 yr story, starting in 1911. Two women Nellie & Edith, friends I think, have a shared admiration for the beautiful Gladys Cooper. They also share self portraits on each otherā€™s birthdays, and sometimes at Easter.
As the story evolves, Nellie adapts a little girl, Audrey - there are postcards to her (from Nellie), and ā€˜Miss Kershawā€™ (who runs the childrenā€™s home. As the years pass, Audrey grows up within the portraits.
The last postcards are sent to Nellie in the nursing home.

10 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this incredible story. What a privilege to have this record of such an enduring friendship through postcards! You should make it into a book. Where did you come across them?

3 Likes

I m not sure what to do with them Elisabeth @mwntimperial . I donā€™t know very much about stamps, and should probably get someone to look at them. Not to sell, but to gift. I have given a couple of them away already. @Potatosium has one of their cats. It might be nice to share them all - I ll keep hold of them for now until I can decide. Although, message me if you can see one you would like (I d like to keep the violin).

It was very endearing reading them all. Unlike a story in a book, there was an unusual attachment for me. I think itā€™s the change in the portraits, and their handwriting. I guess itā€™s like touching a little history.

They were found in a charity shop, but not together - it was 3 visits to the collection, that was jumbled with all sorts :rofl: x

4 Likes

What a serendipitous find! And, so intriguing to gradually find and collect them and uncover the story. Really wonderful!

I often donā€™t bother reading all the backs of cards but occasionally I have found an interesting one like a poem or a lady moaning that her boyfriend hasnā€™t been in touch - I can relate to that one! :joy: I will have to start paying better attention.

2 Likes

Brilliant, that made me laugh out loud.
I think itā€™s the nurse in me, I have loved people watching/listening over the years.
There was a moan in the middle somewhere about one of them not being to go to the Pier to get her portrait taken :rofl:
No men are mentioned in any of their storiesā€¦

2 Likes