[Chat] Pull up a stump and set a spell, pop by for a cuppa and natter

A lot of my travelling cards are on their way to ‘slower’ countries at the moment, and before Christmas I had a lot arrive. I did have an imbalance of 12 more received than sent, but I’m down to 5 now. I think my address was last released on 17th December. Hopefully some of my travelling cards will arrive in the next week and I’ll be back to roughly even!

1 Like

Whilst post to ‘faster’ countries seems to be slowing down (I’m looking at you Germany :eyes:), has anyone noticed that post to ‘slower’ countries seems to be speeding up? I haven’t sent that many postcards this year (well last year haha) but have noticed that post to Russia seems to be arriving a lot quicker than it used to. This is perhaps best epitomised by GB-1333664, which arrived in just 8 days (and was put in the post box with three postcards going to Germany, none of which has arrived/been registered yet; and a letter being sent 1st class to Yorkshire, which only arrived today!)

2 Likes

Our British Isles tag is stuck for a while now, so sad :disappointed:. The rules are easy: Send a card matching the wishes / PC profile / favourites of the person you are tagging. Everyone in the British Isles is welcome to join in the fun.
Just imagine, within our own country we can send a card for the price of a 2nd class stamp (currently 66p), compare that to international postage! … and Royal Mail is pretty fast within the UK, so you don’t have to wait for weeks for your card to arrive.

2 Likes

… and if you need another incentive to join the tag, I will send an extra card to one of the first five participants (randomly chosen by postbot)

1 Like

OK, sold, I’m in! :laughing:

2 Likes

@Binnington
@jlk254
@TheOtherM

I must be an exception, I’ve just sent five postcards to Germany, posted on Monday and all registered on Wednesday!
Three days has been the fastest any international postcard has taken.

GB-1335554
GB-1335555
GB-1335556

I have found the US to be worst for me.

I don’t know if me posting my mail near Heathrow Airport makes any difference?

1 Like

I wonder if, as there’s less international mail being sent, they’re stockpiling post and sending in big batches? GB-1336295 (18/01) and GB-1333666 (11/01) were sent a week a part and both were registered on the same day (yesterday).

Now you mention it, @maddymail, the US seems to be the worst for me too! GB-1322409 only took 9 days to be registered, but it’s the only US-bound postcard of mine that’s been registered in quiet some time (since October!)!

1 Like

The officials that travel a distance don’t seem to get there lately. This last year cards to Taiwan, Russia x2, Malaysia, India and China expired.

Whenever I get an official address for long distance my heart sinks and I think what is the point, but looking at my sent cards lots do get through.

I like sending to Germany best as they always seem to arrive.

2 Likes

Mine have finally started getting through in the last week:

GB-1336595 made it to Germany in 4 days,
GB-1334730 to Finland in 7 days - don’t think I’ve had one get to Finland any quicker,
GB-1334733 to USA in 8 days, although it apparently arrived without any stamps!

I also received DE-9855709 this week, which had travelled for 54 days! It was postmarked on 29th November.

I still have a card on 18 days to Germany, which is unusually slow, but 2 out of 3 cards sent to Russia in early December have now arrived.

@maddymail I live near East Midlands airport which is a busy freight airport and I’m pretty sure it helps with international delivery times.

1 Like

Looks like saying it out loud here has brought me luck! Overnight, GB-1297990 was registered - 105 days after having been sent!

2 Likes

An update to my earlier post - card GB-1337656 to Germany just arrived in 2 days! I posted it mid-morning on Thursday and it’s just been registered.

3 Likes

Mine to Germany has been travelling 14 days so far! :grimacing:

1 Like

Still have one out of 3 sent travelling, Singapore.

No post in 10 days, not expecting to get any this week - 9 positive cases at the sorting office (I don’t think outgoingmail is affected, just delivery).

Only Fools and Horses - one post office in Birmingham has sold someone a set. 4 x 1st, 4 x £1.70 from what I’ve seen.

I had a postcard to Germany take 19 days in total, finally got registered yesterday and a breathed a sigh of relief! Others I see going back and fourth not taking that long at all.

I sent one to The Netherlands which arrived in 3-4 days in comparison.

2 Likes

It’s ironic that the only two postcards I’ve received so far are from Germany and took a few days yet the one I sent to Germany has been travelling 17 days! :woman_shrugging: :rofl:

2 Likes

One postcard I sent years ago, to Poland, I was really surprised how quick it travelled. I posted it just before 5pm (there was a collection at 5pm). Within 36 hours, it was registered!

Delivery times slow at moment. Might get to the town, but there may be a delay in delivery. I had 10 days of mail delivered last Friday, and was clear at least a couple of things waited that full 10 days (sorting office had a load of positive cases).

So far, on three days no incoming letter / postcard post.

Late last month I had a postcard registered by its recipient in Germany after 230 days of travel… turns out he’d accidentally put the card on his registered pile when it arrived without having actually registered it! He was terribly sorry about it.

3 Likes

I like posting to Germany and Holland as they arrive quickly - 2 days for several German ones…amazing! Plus the quality is high.
I seem.to get lots of addresses to Russia which take ages. The US ones also take time but I feel more familiar sending/receiving to there. I would love to get a Spanish French or Swiss address but I know it’s just pot luck…

1 Like

I’ve got a postcard on its way to the US, been travelling for 19 days. I would have expected it to arrive by now but also the recipient has not been seen for 16 days. Ditto for one to China - I imagine that’ll take a lot longer anyway but that’s been travelling for 26 days. They’ve not been seen for 22 days :scream:

Hopefully they do get registered…could be personal reasons for not being able to register cards, or perhaps because of the pandemic there’s been a back-up of post and they haven’t been online because they haven’t had anything to register.

1 Like

I have just been checking and updating the addresses for the British Isles Travelling Envelope
it seems we have lost a lot of people in the move from the old forum.

Does anyone know how to search for people on this forum?

I’d also like to find out how to change my profile on this forum too if anyone can help

1 Like