Can a postcrosser refuse to send…

Ignorance as a solution? Really?
Do you also look away when a white policeman kills an African American? How far does that “it’s theirs” go?

11 Likes

Why better stay put of it? Isn’t it beneficial to all that everyone understands the rules?

I actually was thinking why members let others do this against rules, and don’t do nothing.
I saw a profile where this member writes they will reuse the postcards to send to another members, if they don’t like it. I thought, ok, in a tag or something, but it’s official cards. I reported them, but I am thinking did no one else read it? They have sent over 600 cards. Maybe it was not there in the beginning, but still.

And, others complain that they get used card, so in a situation like this, it’s better to think it’s everyone’s problem at once. Of course, if someone reports after they’ve done it with hundreds of cards, they will say “no one ever complained and everyone else liked it”. Also that’s why it’s better to stop it as soon as possible.

Yes, opinions and hobbies are everyone’s own thing, but they have agreed the rules, so they need to follow them or swap elsewhere.

10 Likes

If a “Marxist” has a problem sending cards to members who live in capitalist societies & support independence then their time here will be brief.

9 Likes

I was actually even attacked verbally in the forum once for saying that I report when I see others violating the rules. (Not by anyone in this thread!) Some people are a bit odd.

5 Likes

So sorry to hear that :frowning: Yes, sadly I know too some react weirdly and attack. (They can be flagged, but I know many feel really bad when they are attacked like that.)

But always, reporting is good idea.
I don’t know if that has different tone in other languages, but to me it’s like “I saw this, could you pleace check if it’s ok”
Even being postcard police :thinking: I know it’s meant badly, but I think it as a police noting that I don’t have my light on. Then I switch it on and all is good. No one is going to jail :smiley: we are trying to help them, not look for faults.

7 Likes

People may hesitate because the word “report” sounds very stern, as though you are informing on someone to the thought police.

But there are no thought police here, but rather, kind and friendly coordinators who are tactful and really rather gentle in their communication with people who may be unaware of the rules. It’s OK to let them handle things.

18 Likes

What would be a better word then? Notify?
Wonder why does the “attackers” then not rather tell the word sounds stern, and maybe to use some other (and what) instead?

To me report is an unpersonal description of an event or situation. Not at all stern. We use that in work for example, to describe what is done.

2 Likes

It’s very coincidental that I saw the same person. I didn’t tag her thinking about what would I say to her. I agree the language is harsh but she is a teen. I agree it is best she is reported as a lesson that the site does not tolerate hate nor do we as postcrossers…

She might have a hissy fit, but it is a good lesson for her.

9 Likes

2016-2020 was a very interesting time in American politics and I soon became tired of Postcrossers in other countries sending me postcards that were very critical of my government, assuming I would agree with them. I would never presume to force my politics on another American, much less send negative comments about another country’s politicians or politics. So, I sent a comment to the administrators saying I believed this was against Postcrossing rules and asking for advice. I received a very nice reply that, in fact, Postcrossing does NOT restrict people from commenting on politics but, if I dislike it, I should say so in my profile. I did just that, and the comments stopped coming. So, there you are. Postcrossing admin know what they’re doing. If you are offended by anything you come across, I strongly recommend you notify the admin and let them handle it in the way they see fit.
One more thing (in my very long reply) - if I come across a profile that makes a not so good impression on me, I send a neutral, positive, polite, card and move on. I’m quite sure not everyone enjoys MY profile! Happy Postcrossing!

9 Likes

Actually no, I wasn’t policing random profiles as you wrongly assumed. I was using the tags section of the forum. Often, before I tag someone in an unspecific tag, I click their profile to check their preferences to see if I have a card they might like. I was about to tag this member so I read her profile.

9 Likes

The following is increasingly off topic, so my apologies to everyone :laughing:

It’s both subjective and nuanced. For me, at least, the verb carries more associations than the noun. A “report”, as a thing, sounds fairly neutral in my dialect of English (Canadian). “Reporting someone” [to another] can sound a lot more serious, depending on the context, and “reporting on someone” has an informer-like vibe. So to “report someone” can be neutral – and often is – but it can also sound more serious. Unfortunately English lacks a good range of synonyms for the word, so “report” it must be!

(Sometimes language is like this. We have the word “spry”, meaning active or lively. It’s a positive word, on the face of it, but it is most often used to describe an active elderly person, someone who is perhaps not expected to be active or lively. You really don’t hear a 3-year-old described as spry! So there is this undercurrent of confounded expectations to the word, and therefore it is used more in the context of older people than anywhere else. But this level of nuance is not always reflected in dictionaries.)

6 Likes

Yes, increasingly off topic. However another poster used the word ‘notify’ which carries a more neutral tone. Perhaps that is a better word to use in this instance.

3 Likes

How is she gonna know who is supporting that though?? Like I haven’t seen a single profile saying that they support Taiwanese independence on their About section :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I can’t believe that there’s actually someone out there who’s willing to call themselves a Marxist. Here in America, there’s people who practice Marxism but they disguise themselves as…well I better not say, Postcrossing admin already has it out for me.

2 Likes

I’m not usually a fan of quotes but this sums up my thoughts on “it is better to stay out of it”

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

7 Likes

I think it is obvious who you are describing :wink: At least I discover it :wink:
It is obvious that this behavior is ridiculous childish and seems to be rude,we can meet lots of people who shares different views but we should respect their opinions,no matter you think it is right or wrong.
And postcrossing is a way to embrace the world and meet people and learn culture,it’s not a way to make argument.However what this person describes make postcrossing into a political platform.
Divergence are everywhere.

Tell us!

2 Likes

Thank you for this short lesson! As a non-native speaker, I don’t really know about such nuances and undertones. :blush:

1 Like

I hope this off topic stays, as I think it’s important. I also thank @doryfera !
Although, I think it’s interesting how someone chooses to see reporting (or any word) bad, when supposedly they know it can be neutral too, or wrongly chosen, especially written by someone non English speaker. And particularly because of this:

(It’s so funny that here reporting can be very “boring”, like someone who reports everything, talks endlessly about what happened, without emotion, like an observer :slight_smile: )

So now I wonder, the “attackers” are not seeing the reporting as “bad”, but the choise of the word?

(I think I have also used “let the Postcrossing team know about that” but it sounds more like I don’t wait for any response or action.)

So, reporting can be used (?), and instead of attacking the reporter :slight_smile: they could help them find better words.

But to original topic, I would wait and see if the profile changed, because some people don’t take advice well, and if they are told to change their profile, they maybe leave. So that would mean my card would never get registered…but they still deserved a card, so maybe I send, but only after I see a change in their profile.

It’s best to let the admins handle such things. In my personal experience it doesn’t build community when someone decides to be a vigilante and write a “correction” note to the recipient. Let the correcting be done by those who know what they are doing. Afterall, this person could be in the forums and will remember the treatment they received from another postcrosser.

3 Likes