Bugs under Preferences/Profile/National Flag

I’m using my phone to access the Forum. My interface language is (default). Tried to change to English or English (United States) and refresh but still same results.

1. The whole list is not ordered alphabetically. For example, Andorra, UAE are before Afghanistan. Antigua and Barbuda should switch places with Anguilla, etc.

2. National naming does not follow the Postcrossing site. There’s a lot so I just took a random example (see hightlighted).

3. There are three undefined options after France, Germany and United States in the list. You can search undefined to see them. Tried to choose a regular flag and refresh but the "undefined"s still exist.
    After France

After Germany

After United States

2 Likes

This appears on pc as well. I had trouble to find the European flag and only found it by using search because the list is not alphabetical although it seems like it at first glance.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-24 um 08.52.01

I’m pretty sure that Spain is “Espana” in their own language so maybe this is caused by the translation? :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, Spain is España in Spanish, but Finland is Suomi in Finnish, so they are not sorted by original name either…

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: Then I have no idea! “Finland” does come after “Europe” though. It’s followed by Fiji, still alphabetically, but then “Falkland Islands (Malvinas)” is next :woman_shrugging:
Also no idea how Western Sahara fits in there.

1 Like

The list is ordered by their respective ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code, not the country name.

This list uses the (outdated) short name for country, which is different from the naming convention used at Postcrossing. See the case of Vatican as an example.

The three “undefined” are: de-at, fr-br, us-at. They look like language code to me (Austrian German, Breton and “whatever this is”). I have no idea.

5 Likes

You’re amazing @SkyHound! :+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

1 Like

I agree, you detective! :mag:

The question is… why??? Not very user-friendly way to sort the countries :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Whatever the reasons may be, it does not affect the normal function as you still have the option to search in addition to scrolling through the list. It’s just a minor inconvenience.

The new forum need a lot of spit-and-polish and we should just bear with it for now. I hope we can iron out the kinks down the line.

3 Likes

another mistake? Vietnam are two words?
Or am I just underinformed about the correct spelling?

Viêt Nam is two words in Vietnamese :smiley:

I wonder why the country name are not consequent in englisch language and spelling. Switching only for Vietnam to it´s own language make no sense to me.

I have found a lot of UN websites where Vietnam is spelled Viet Nam in English, e.g.
https://vietnam.un.org/en

1 Like

Yes, Vietnam and Viet Nam are both correct spelling options in English. International oganisations (such as UNESCO, UN, WHO) spell it Viet Nam, more common in normal language is Vietnam.

3 Likes

I’m sure we’ll get an update on this from the admins but currently looks like the flag plugin was built this way. Also another thing I noticed and correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t “Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of” now known as North Macedonia?

Yes :slight_smile:

Talking about flag, is it possible to change the lay out of the flag?
My national flag is red and white. All I see is only the red part.
Japanese flag is red circle inside the white square. All I see is only the red circle
flag

Can we change the lay out of the flag like the old forum so we can see the flag clearly?
old flag

2 Likes

As a workaround, you could change your interface theme to “Postcrossing (darker)”:

1 Like

Thank you. Now I can see the flag but I don’t like the darker background :smile:

1 Like

What a pity… My eyes love it! :smile:

2 Likes