Are there still beautiful engraved stamps in your country?

Wait, how big were these stamps?
Are they real stamps? And 10 Singaporian dollars for one stamp is a bit expansive, isn’t it?

Yes they are real stamps. However I think they are more of collectors’ items.
I certainly wouldn’t use them!

You could use them to mail packages if you really wanted to.

More information on the stamps here:

1 Like

They are not engraved.But is relief one.Sorry wrong word😌

1 Like

These engraved French stamps might soon be in your letterbox :blush:

9 Likes

Is intaglio a form of engraving? Or the other way around?

1 Like

The Go for Broke Forever stamp is also still available for sale

2 Likes

Very nice, thank you! Is it intaglio?

Looks like it, with some offset components

1 Like

We still get intaglio printed stamps occasionally. I noticed that they usually have a historical theme, like this one.

1 Like

Indeed, French Polynesia stamps are “produced” by Philaposte, which likes to use this technique.

Your last sentence is incorrect. In the UK, only non-QR code stamps issued since decimalization in 1971 that feature a portrait of Queen Elizabeth are invalid for use after July 31, 2023. With a few narrow exceptions, all decimal era commemoratives, special issues and Christmas stamps will continue to be valid for use.

Thank you for this explanation.But I am not sure to understand what decimalization is…

Loved this stamps

@hemang, if you liked them, here are the latest engraved French stamps:

(stamp about the anthem of the French Resistance, during the Second World War → LE CHANT DES PARTISANS - YouTube)

(stamp about Chalon-sur-Saône in Burgondy, and Marguerite Boucicaut, the wife of the founder of Le Bon Marché, who bequeathed her immense fortune to numerous charities throughout France)

(stamp about the family home of the impressionist painter Gustave Caillebotte. On sale from late June)

(stamp about Alice Guy, first woman director and film producer in the world, on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of her birth. Alice Guy realized the first cinematographic fiction, La fée aux choux, in1896. The stamp is on sale from July)

French stamps are expensive, but I have to recognize that they are beautiful :blush:

1 Like

I wasn’t sure either, but according to Investopedia:

Decimalization is a system where security prices are quoted using a decimal format rather than fractions. For example, this is a decimal trading quote: $34.25. Using fractions, the same quote would appear as $34 1/4.

1 Like

2 Likes

In the UK, decimalisation refers to the change in currency in 1971 when the pound went from the LSD system (1 pound (libra in Latin) = 20 shillings = 240 old pence) to the decimal system (1 pound = 100 new pence).

1 Like