Any Ideas About How To Find The Postcrossers Within a USA County?

Monday, February 13, 2023 - 09:41 (UTC -5)

Good morning, Everyone:

Any ideas to help me find the Postcrossers in a USA County?

I’ve asked for this enhancement elsewhere on the Forum earlier today => Please Allow County Lookup in Search Function

I understand that there are higher priority items on the Postcrossing Support plate, but I urgently need this capability for several reasons, including Meet-Up and Lottery invites and presentations about Postcrossing at my local libraries.

Please see this Topic => Bucks County Bonanza

I have decided to give most of these postcards away soon in a Lottery. Of course, as in my previous Lotteries

(https://community.postcrossing.com/t/completed-lottery-one-for-you-one-for-the-world-bucks-county-arts-postcards-1/162358

and

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/completed-lottery-stick-it-a-completely-unique-set/141673)

all are welcome but I really want to invite all Postcrossers within Bucks County, Pennsylvania, to participate, too. I’m hoping that if there are any Postcrossers within Bucks County who haven’t been Active for a while, winning a set of local postcards might jump-start them back into the project.

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of days and have some ideas, but I don’t want to limit any ideas you might have to start with so I’m asking for your help and let’s see what we can come up with together. Being able to see the Postcrossers within a County has obvious utility so whatever we can come with will be useful to everyone in Postcrossing.

If you know the Search Function, you know that the drop-down lists of localities are not selectable (thus not copyable). You can only scroll down though them. And for a USA State, such as Pennsylvania, there are hundreds of place names in alphabetical order. I counted 28 pages of place names (by hitting Page Down repeatedly; full disclosure: I have a Windows 10 PC and use Open Office). Each page contains about 18-19 names. You can do the math. Similar for New Jersey; 21 pages. Lots of unrelated place names. Even if you know your own home County well, it’s likely you may encounter places you don’t know which have Postcrossers living there. Oh, but how would you know if you can’t find all the places within your County?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Michael

1 Like

Could take you a bit of time, just google towns in Buck County. Then search each one. Looks like there are about 39 towns in Buck County. I don’t think it would take you that long to search that way.
Example:
5 in Doylestown
3 in New Hope
5 in Newton

1 Like